President Peterson has announced his retirement

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Thank you for posting your insites.

Please post more.

After 14 orange bowl at the on field trophy awards he was all alone with his wife. That s so sad. Yea , he was all into our sports.

Caretaker prez
Yeah, and just to be clear: Peterson wasn’t “against” sports or football. He liked playing in orange bowls. He just didn’t want to go out of his way to support it. He liked the benefits / notoriety, but didn’t want to invest in it. He wanted it to be self-sustaining operation rather than a venture worth infusing capital to drive future growth.

LibertyTurns

Banned

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Why the hell did they start playing football then? Guy’s just another brilliant rocket scientist academic elitist idiot.

https://www.mitathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/2018-19/schedule
I don’t think the argument is as one sided and simple. I’m a huge GT sports fan and want nothing more than to invest. But there are a lot of smart people who believe our strengths as an elite research university lend itself to looking more like our “true” peers that elect to play D3 sports: Carnegie Mellon, Case Western, WashU, U of Chicago, NYU, Washington & Lee, Emory, Johns Hopkins, Brandeis, MIT.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Didn't Bud lose a few lawsuits when he expelled students accused of sexual assault without due process?
Not a Peterson problem.....happened all over the country due to the last WH administration's edicts.
Well, he could have been in favor of those student’s Consitutional rights. Must have really sucked to be one of those kids completely unjustifiably expelled. Just because others are trampling all over the law doesn’t mean GT should also. Bad leadership & corrupt to boot. His disdain for athletes is minor in comparison.

burdell151

Jolly Good Fellow
Duude that's what im saying. Having calculus be a required subject for everybody is stupid
Calculus is absolutely *not* required for every major at Tech. I took 1 semester of Calc as a CS major. Didn’t take Calc2 that spring because I was mulling a major change. I jumped on the M Train after a semester away (as a music ed major interestingly enough) and my first semester back, satisfied my other math credit with Finite Math. The majority of our student athletes are in the now Scheller College of Business and Calc is still not a requirement.

Stop perpetuating the fallacy that every student has to take actual calculus. It’s just not true.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Serious question: what makes any of you think the new Pres will support the football program more than Peterson? I fear we’ve set our sights on MIT/CMU not Stanford. Not that either is a bad thing overall, but obviously one is different than the other with regard to athletics.
The last president that supported athletics very well came from CMU...just saying.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Calculus is absolutely *not* required for every major at Tech. I took 1 semester of Calc as a CS major. Didn’t take Calc2 that spring because I was mulling a major change. I jumped on the M Train after a semester away (as a music ed major interestingly enough) and my first semester back, satisfied my other math credit with Finite Math. The majority of our student athletes are in the now Scheller College of Business and Calc is still not a requirement.

Stop perpetuating the fallacy that every student has to take actual calculus. It’s just not true.
False. Calculus is required for Ivan Allen and Scheller. It’s not the Calc 1 taken by engineers, but it’s still calculus. We need to stop thinking of this from our POV, but from that of an athlete with marginal math/science skills or one from a bad public school district that doesn’t prepare its students for the rigors of GT.

According to what I find online, Scheller students are required to take MATH 1712 and 1711 or MATH 1550/51, 1553 and 1552. Four of those courses are some kind of calculus.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

As I remember it, Management majors have to take Survey of Calculus. While not engineering calculus, it's still advanced math with Calculus in the title.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Athletics: ............. His unwritten policy was that sports should be a self-sustaining venture rather than a substantial opportunity necessitating support / investment.

It is BOR policy that no more than 10% of the athletic association budget can be provided by the school. The school provides very close to that. That includes facilities services performed by GT personnel/contractors on GTAA property. That includes rental of property owned by GT. That includes pretty much anything that the school can provide that has monetary value.

It isn't Peterson's unwritten policy, it is written policy of the Georgia BOR.

LibertyTurns

Banned
It is BOR policy that no more than 10% of the athletic association budget can be provided by the school. The school provides very close to that. That includes facilities services performed by GT personnel/contractors on GTAA property. That includes rental of property owned by GT. That includes pretty much anything that the school can provide that has monetary value.

It isn't Peterson's unwritten policy, it is written policy of the Georgia BOR.
Scheduling required classes ONLY during the same time as football practice. Is that a BOR policy or a **** move by Peterson?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Scheduling required classes ONLY during the same time as football practice. Is that a BOR policy or a **** move by Peterson?

Scheduling is extremely complicated. The president does not schedule classes. There are required classes that interfere with married students taking care of their children. There are required classes that interfere with students who have to work a job in order to pay for school. There are professors who teach classes and have other obligations that require them to only be available for a few hours a week. Those classes have to be scheduled when the professor is available.

It would be impossible to schedule classes for 15,000 undergraduates and never have any conflicts of any kind. Should the entire school shut down during football practice? If it doesn't, there will always be a potential of conflicts of athletes and classes.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Or to this guy who I think once told a gathering of GT alumni that MIT does just fine without a football team.

https://www.news.gatech.edu/2010/07/07/rafael-bras-named-georgia-tech-provost
Why the hell did they start playing football then? Guy’s just another brilliant rocket scientist academic elitist idiot.

https://www.mitathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/2018-19/schedule
I didn't see a MIT football quote in LongforDodd's link. However, I would think there's a significant difference between Div1 and Div3 football...

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
What's wrong with the reason that GT isn't creating enough engineers to meet GA's needs?
It was BS. If that was the case it would have made more sense to provide further funding to SPSU and Ga. Southern not build a brand new program at UGA while they were folding other schools together to cut costs on administrators.

The BOR never published info saying we weren't meeting the state's needs, nor did they ever complain that we were pipelining to out of state companies (i.e. NASA).

As a student at the time it read as a blatant power grab and Peterson just seemed to accept it without complaint. It made me salty and still hits a raw spot.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Scheduling is extremely complicated. The president does not schedule classes. There are required classes that interfere with married students taking care of their children. There are required classes that interfere with students who have to work a job in order to pay for school. There are professors who teach classes and have other obligations that require them to only be available for a few hours a week. Those classes have to be scheduled when the professor is available.

It would be impossible to schedule classes for 15,000 undergraduates and never have any conflicts of any kind. Should the entire school shut down during football practice? If it doesn't, there will always be a potential of conflicts of athletes and classes.
Dynamic scheduling is difficult, like de-conflicting strike operations in a war zone. Most other scheduling is child’s play. With 16k students & limited majors an elite Institute like GT should be able to figure out how to offer a mandatory, required for graduation class more than once a year or semester. If he needed help, well we’ve got an IE school that’s been ranked #1 for nearly 6 million straight years that I’m sure has someone that can figure it out.

I didn't see a MIT football quote in LongforDodd's link. However, I would think there's a significant difference between Div1 and Div3 football...
@LongforDodd posted a link to the provost’s bio. The fact that academics are naturally predisposed to hate sports is not surprising. There’s 3 things academics are notoriously bad at- getting a real paying job in the private sector, playing sports outside of stuff like badminton etc, finding a chick that shaves her pits & legs and doesn’t have a stache.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
It was BS. If that was the case it would have made more sense to provide further funding to SPSU and Ga. Southern not build a brand new program at UGA while they were folding other schools together to cut costs on administrators.

The BOR never published info saying we weren't meeting the state's needs, nor did they ever complain that we were pipelining to out of state companies (i.e. NASA).

As a student at the time it read as a blatant power grab and Peterson just seemed to accept it without complaint. It made me salty and still hits a raw spot.
In my view, it was embarrassing that GA's "flagstaff" university didn't have a school of engineering. Is there even a University of [insert state] that doesn't have a school of engineering? And if there isn't, how late was UGA to the party?

Animal02

Banned
Well, he could have been in favor of those student’s Consitutional rights. Must have really sucked to be one of those kids completely unjustifiably expelled. Just because others are trampling all over the law doesn’t mean GT should also. Bad leadership & corrupt to boot. His disdain for athletes is minor in comparison.
It was federal mandates.....the universities basically had a gun to their head. Not saying it was right.....but it is easy to see why it happened......not gonna happen.

herb

Helluva Engineer
It was federal mandates.....the universities basically had a gun to their head. Not saying it was right.....but it is easy to see why it happened......not gonna happen.

And they lost every time it went to court, but you are correct in the cause

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
With 16k students & limited majors an elite Institute like GT should be able to figure out how to offer a mandatory, required for graduation class more than once a year or semester. If he needed help, well we’ve got an IE school that’s been ranked #1 for nearly 6 million straight years that I’m sure has someone that can figure it out.

It was an issue in the early 90s while I was in school. There was at least one, and maybe two(I don't remember the second very well) required classes that were only offered once during the year. I believe it as a junior class and I had to take it during my 5th year because unil then it wasn't available when registration opened for me.