President Peterson has announced his retirement

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
General lack of apparent backing. One almost has to try to fall as far back in funding support for athletics. If he did really try to support funding it must have mostly been behind the scenes support.

Not sure what the president of the University has to do with backing of funding. He cannot just steal from the educational endowments to give to athletics.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
While I like Bud personally, and adore his wife he lost my confidence when he allowed the BOR to give UGA engineering without anything in return. Especially when the reason given was that we weren't creating enough engineers to meet the State's needs. While I like the concept of being the answer to the question how will the 21st century be that he laid out as his vision of his 25 year plan, his lack of a concrete plan to reach that also eroded my confidence.

Hopefully we can hire someone who understands and can articulate a path to make us excellent in both sports and academics.

What's wrong with the reason that GT isn't creating enough engineers to meet GA's needs?

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Just to clarify my position; I couldn't care less about Peterson, all I'm saying is that the President has several bigger priorities than direct involvement in athletics and that's the way it should be. Now, can he be favorable, sure. I don't think you want one who is against athletics.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I've taken multiple calculus classes and it hasn't helped me one bit in life. Totally unnecessary for most athletes to have to take it.

Dude, it's not about athletes not taking it. If you don't want athletes to take it, then you have to open up a non-Calculus degree program. You can't just say that all the other students have to have it for this degree, but these athletes don't. That's my point.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
He can be a face in fundraising. It doesn’t have to just be the AD.

Maybe he could have done more. I did see him at basketball games shaking hands and fraternizing with donors(athletic and academic). I would say it is the AD's job to lead fundraising for athletics. DRad seemed to only go after very large donors to build facilities. MBob alienated everyone and turned down donations. TStan has been doing an outstanding job. I would say if I am trying to find something that Peterson could have done better, it would be paying attention to MBob and getting rid of him before he totally trashed the GTAA. However, the GTAA is 4-5% of the budget of GT, and Peterson has to spend more time worrying about the other 95-96% of the school.

My question was more aimed at people who are saying Hooray, that Peterson left and that maybe now we can get someone who doesn't just crap on football. If you want to argue that he didn't micro-manage the GTAA, then you an argue that. I haven't seen anything that justifies the vitriol of others.

Animal02

Banned
Dude, it's not about athletes not taking it. If you don't want athletes to take it, then you have to open up a non-Calculus degree program. You can't just say that all the other students have to have it for this degree, but these athletes don't. That's my point.
One of the "throw integrity under the bus, win at all cost" types.:rolleyes:

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Serious question: what makes any of you think the new Pres will support the football program more than Peterson? I fear we’ve set our sights on MIT/CMU not Stanford. Not that either is a bad thing overall, but obviously one is different than the other with regard to athletics.

As long as the nerd understands that he/she/it will be consumed by the daily fires of a living Hell if they try to stop the NWO of a GT that desires and deserves greatness in all of its endeavors.

They best understand they will be earning 1/3 LESS money than CGC for a reason.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the "throw integrity under the bus, win at all cost" types.:rolleyes:
Exactly. The way the point was phrased is just stupid. The insinuation is that athletes deserve the same degree without even the faintest nod towards doing the same work.

If you want to open non-Calc degree programs, I can support that idea. I can agree that there are several (non-engineering) degree programs that simply don't need it, but I can't get behind leaving off degree requirements selectively for athletes.