President Peterson has announced his retirement

I don't know what nominal means... I remember when I applied to UGA as one of my backups for undergrad that I had to apply to their school of science since that was the only school they had close to engineering/technology.
My understanding is that they have had an engineering school for years, but it really didn't amount to much, thus my use of the word "nominal". Check out this website.....http://www.engr.uga.edu/history/.
Prior to 1934, they offered several engineering degrees, but in 1934, all were moved to Tech except Agricultural Engineering. In 1991, Biological Engineering was added. I had the understanding that they had continuously offered Civil Engineering, but that may be incorrect. And then, of course, in 2012 they established a college of engineering there. That link describes that event as follows: "The UGA College of Engineering formally opened July 1, 2012. Prior to this date, engineering at UGA consisted of two engineering academic units: the Institute of Faculty of Engineering, and the Biological & Agricultural Engineering Department. The College of Engineering was formed by merging these two academic units."

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Point is, half that stuff isn't his job. Pretty simple to understand. Did he will fully not provide those lists? How is the president he supposes to control the funding of something like the edge center? Did he actively keep it from being 10 stories or was it a matter of the GTAA not getting it done fund raising?

Look I don't like Peterson specifically, I just don't think it's the job of the President to be the athletics advocate. Again, he shouldn't hinder them, but the focus of the office of the president is the academic well being of the school. He should help athletics in any way he can that doesn't impact academics. There's a lot of posters on here who think that his primary focus should be getting millions of dollars for athletics - that's what the AD is for. Besides what makes people think that the president would even be good at approaching donors or fund raising for athletics?

Part of ANY Presidents job at a P5 school is to be a HUGE advocate of athletics. Coaches are paid millions per year and the President is CEO of the school’s athletic assn.

How many times do they claim sports to be on the “front porch”?

How often are Presidents & faculty sticking their nose in front of the camera and getting free tickets / trips when things are rocking.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
To bitter idiots perhaps. Maybe your boy toy Sewak can apply for the job.

I believe what he was referring to is that the president of GT is not on the board of the alumni association. He has no power over the alumni association.

The mission statement of the alumni association says nothing about athletics. The alumni association does a good job of raising money for the GT Foundation. Any alumnus can reach out to the alumni association and try to convince them to support athletics more. If the school attempts to bully them into doing something they don't want to do, it could cause issues with what they do now.

I have heard that the alumni association doesn't want to share the roll call list. I don't know other than people on forums posting it as fact. If they don't, then the GT athletic association should figure out a way to let alumni know that the roll call donations don't support athletics. I wouldn't do it in an adversarial manner. The AI2020 initiative is going on right now, but I believe the GTAA should have something along the lines of Clemson's IPTAY. Let the alumni and the fans know that the GTAA needs donations from normal fans and provide a system that lets fans feel like they are appreciated. Not everyone wants to support athletics and that is fine. I feel like that is a much better way to handle things than to bicker and argue with people who make it clear that they don't want to support athletics.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
Part of ANY Presidents job at a P5 school is to be a HUGE advocate of athletics. Coaches are paid millions per year and the President is CEO of the school’s athletic assn.

How many times do they claim sports to be on the “front porch”?

How often are Presidents & faculty sticking their nose in front of the camera and getting free tickets / trips when things are rocking.
Job as a huge advocate.....nope....more cluelessness.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Not disputing you, but even though there has never been any "official" sharing of a list of alums, there IS an alumni directory that anybody can access, including the AD
No.
The gtaa reps (many years) at usf told me they have tried for years to get use. AA rep at Gt conference center confirmed the AA keeps it confidential.

In 14 at acc champ and at orange bowl went to both parties. At both The j irwin (AA ) followed the prez around like his dad. I personally asked Irwin if he would consider doing a fun internet based joint fund raisers w gtaa. He looked and said we are doing fine. I asked if the donations are way up with the orange bowl invite. He just smiled and nodded his head.
Gave AA every year since 69 ., but it stopped that day.

Let's hope we get a prez that wants gtaa to succeed that he will go the extra mile.

No.
The gtaa reps (many years) at usf told me they have tried for years to get use. AA rep at Gt conference center confirmed the AA keeps it confidential.

In 14 at acc champ and at orange bowl went to both parties. At both The j irwin (AA ) followed the prez around like his dad. I personally asked Irwin if he would consider doing a fun internet based joint fund raisers w gtaa. He looked and said we are doing fine. I asked if the donations are way up with the orange bowl invite. He just smiled and nodded his head.
Gave AA every year since 69 ., but it stopped that day.

Let's hope we get a prez that wants gtaa to succeed that he will go the extra mile.
I am not disputing the fact that the alumni association doesn't provide info for the athletic department, but there IS an alumni directory that anyone can get. I get one periodically in the mail. I don't think they send one out every year, but they DO send them out.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you’ll be surprised when the job description is posted and nothing about athletics appears.

Bud supports us through it all. Heck he was in Detroit, which I don’t think anyone would classify as “rocking”

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
As I remember it, Management majors have to take Survey of Calculus. While not engineering calculus, it's still advanced math with Calculus in the title.
It's essentially pre-calculus, or introduction to calculus. So in a way both sides are right.

No, full Calculus is not a requirement for all students (hasn't been for a good while now)... And there IS a significant difference in the two, so to say every student must take Calculus is hyperbole. Yes, all students must still take an advanced math course of some form which has Calculus concepts.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

Animal02

Banned
I believe what he was referring to is that the president of GT is not on the board of the alumni association. He has no power over the alumni association.

The mission statement of the alumni association says nothing about athletics. The alumni association does a good job of raising money for the GT Foundation. Any alumnus can reach out to the alumni association and try to convince them to support athletics more. If the school attempts to bully them into doing something they don't want to do, it could cause issues with what they do now.

I have heard that the alumni association doesn't want to share the roll call list. I don't know other than people on forums posting it as fact. If they don't, then the GT athletic association should figure out a way to let alumni know that the roll call donations don't support athletics. I wouldn't do it in an adversarial manner. The AI2020 initiative is going on right now, but I believe the GTAA should have something along the lines of Clemson's IPTAY. Let the alumni and the fans know that the GTAA needs donations from normal fans and provide a system that lets fans feel like they are appreciated. Not everyone wants to support athletics and that is fine. I feel like that is a much better way to handle things than to bicker and argue with people who make it clear that they don't want to support athletics.
It is rather comical that several posters assume the Institute and everything about it revolves around sports....and primarily football and basketball.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Again, it is individual faculty and departments that set the schedule. One of the faculty in my wife's department offers a required class, onece a year on Friday afternoon. It screws a lot of students, but she is the only one that can teach it and that is when she is available....there isn't the numbers for a second class.
Who’s in charge of staffing the faculty? No offense to your wife but if she’s the only teacher in the universe that can teach a class it’s probably not at the undergrad level.

Animal02

Banned
Who’s in charge of staffing the faculty? No offense to your wife but if she’s the only teacher in the universe that can teach a class it’s probably not at the undergrad level.
It has as much to do with $$$$ as anything. They are not going to hire additional faculty when there is not the demand for additional classes. The current enrollment only justifies one faculty member in that position.
I would also add that big universities view research as a primary mission.....teaching is almost secondary in a lot of people's mind...... It is crazy and frustrating .

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
It would be interesting to have a President with the attitude of the University of Houston President:

“Just read what Houston president Renu Khator says about the stakes at UH:

‘The winning is defined at University of Houston as 10 and 2," she told faculty and staff at the annual holiday party at her home. "We'll fire coaches at 8 and 4.’”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
It would be interesting to have a President with the attitude of the University of Houston President:

Get her in here for an interview. We should be able to put a better package together then she's getting at Houston. I've heard a lot of other good things about her accomplishments in a UT world similar to the dwag world we operate in.