President Peterson has announced his retirement

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
@LongforDodd posted a link to the provost’s bio. The fact that academics are naturally predisposed to hate sports is not surprising. There’s 3 things academics are notoriously bad at- getting a real paying job in the private sector, playing sports outside of stuff like badminton etc, finding a chick that shaves her pits & legs and doesn’t have a stache.
You should stop drinking so much. It's affecting your judgement as to what's acceptable to think and what's acceptable to post. ;)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Without direct oversite by b o r should gt be allowed to control the state of georgia funds from research ?

Too many things that the prez is " above the fray" . Intentional or by nature this has not served gt well.

Guys on swarm declared it "unsavory" when cgc s brought a grad transfer t e from temple. The same on news are similarly up set that former tech guy (while working somewhere else) told recruits gt is hard. The yelling about UNC cheat- the new unc checked "it" out and yea there was no class- did unc do a wide net audit to look for other things - no drug sweep under. The baylor title 9 tape fiasco- prez tried rug sweep under and would have worked except lawyers and real victims are after Baylor's endowment.

I think its unsavory to gt to pay a prez millions plus
While we shoot troubled student and it's no bodies fault.
We get sued for allowing title 9 to run wild and it's all good.
We have $$ issues discovered in gt research and is just a move along.
We find the prez has buddies that do unethical things and its a procedure problem he is allowed to investigate and fix.

All us professional engineers have to take ethics course yearly. If we had these things our state registrations, we would loose our stamp.

Yea, u bud peterson team guys need to send way more money to gt.

Let's hope it's all pape over and the new girl prez can get us going with no hiccups.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It's essentially pre-calculus, or introduction to calculus. So in a way both sides are right.

No, full Calculus is not a requirement for all students (hasn't been for a good while now)... And there IS a significant difference in the two, so to say every student must take Calculus is hyperbole. Yes, all students must still take an advanced math course of some form which has Calculus concepts.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

Every student has to learn differentiation and integration in some form. That is calculus, and the concepts can be difficult to learn if one does not have the foundation. It doesn't matter what one wants to call it, and Survey of Calculus is not pre-calc. Also, the point is that calculus is being used, and has always been used, to negatively recruit us.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Without direct oversite by b o r should gt be allowed to control the state of georgia funds from research ?

Too many things that the prez is " above the fray" . Intentional or by nature this has not served gt well.

Guys on swarm declared it "unsavory" when cgc s brought a grad transfer t e from temple. The same on news are similarly up set that former tech guy (while working somewhere else) told recruits gt is hard. The yelling about UNC cheat- the new unc checked "it" out and yea there was no class- did unc do a wide net audit to look for other things - no drug sweep under. The baylor title 9 tape fiasco- prez tried rug sweep under and would have worked except lawyers and real victims are after Baylor's endowment.

I think its unsavory to gt to pay a prez millions plus
While we shoot troubled student and it's no bodies fault.
We get sued for allowing title 9 to run wild and it's all good.
We have $$ issues discovered in gt research and is just a move along.
We find the prez has buddies that do unethical things and its a procedure problem he is allowed to investigate and fix.

All us professional engineers have to take ethics course yearly. If we had these things our state registrations, we would loose our stamp.

Yea, u bud peterson team guys need to send way more money to gt.

Let's hope it's all pape over and the new girl prez can get us going with no hiccups.
I find your posts to be very difficult to understand sometimes. Do you proof-read what you write to ensure it makes sense?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It isn't Peterson's unwritten policy, it is written policy of the Georgia BOR.

Fair enough. But ... the President's stature is more than just his job. He sets the direction of programs under his authority. He did a helluva job building a development program for fundraising at every School at Tech ... but did nothing for fundraising for GTAA. He could easily have gotten the stakeholders together (academic, athletics, students) and said, "Guys ... what do we have to change around here to make it easier to fundraise ... ?"

That's my biggest complaint against Bud. His compensation wasn't based on anything related to sports (the front porch of a university, as he said) ... and so he didn't stick his neck out to help push it along.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I find your posts to be very difficult to understand sometimes. Do you proof-read what you write to ensure it makes sense?
Yea, I know.
I rely too much on a friendly audience and the posting of specifics in hopes of making a point.

Will try to take more time and post from computer.

Your handle leads me to think u can look into subjects.

1. Could u tell me what BP "did" extra to help Coach/Gtaa ?
Anything would be a help to my memory of him ? ( After 09 vt game we followed the students that stole the wishboned goal post . This group took it to the prez mansion. I later read he was very enthusiastic. ) .
Anything like -" he had this post cut up into segments and sent to every leader in his team . To each one he attached that says Gt football made gt proud on Thursday night. "

Besides leaning 10 degrees foward, smiling, and saying , I feel your concerns; and I am sure he"""' did ""'omething to show he cared.

Anything will be accepted with gratitude.

2. What were AA donations for each of last 11 years? Did 14 orange bowl have measurable impact? I think it did. If not it affects my memory of BP. A link to information would be great.

3. What is the $ received from the research $ that is to cover gt overhead. Have seen - 30 to 60% depending on complexity. I am thinking this is a massive amount that other schools dont receive.

Background
(My son and daughter in law are PhD profs in small non stem departments at Baylor. They are under great pressure to publish/ get Grants like baylor medicene. The grant fees includes a large portion to cover "overhead" . Imo, if we may find out the research allowed for pretty thick carpet on the top floors and buddies ? )

Below are some thinking out loud thoughts and some information u might find useful.

With the $ research stream there is no need for bds to be overflowing ( students building positive memories). These research dollars may have ossified ( sic) our leadership and made it less sensitive too the other parts of gt.

Maybe a new leader will embrace the whole college experience. , but money is power and power corrupts ...

The thought to be pondered ="a voluntary segregation of gt research $ and gt school"

Is that really that bad??????.
A. Best case we organize it and present it as gt idea.
Something like
If the grad program and research area to have its own smaller admin and all monies stay inside. That area would have a head like the current prez who is also reportable to the state. With a smaller overhead , it would , havs reduced overhead , we could do more and better research thru higher salaries for reseachers. ( In 99 I did this type contract on the project where AE s dad worked - we got the entire inspection for a giant project ). I think we would get more research, better profs to teach a few classes to undergrads.

After this the prez and the admin should function and be rewarded like every other public school. They show alums every $ is precious, have students from in state, help make the college experience a rich one and are rewarded on merit.
Gm

Worst case - we wait and get hosed by uga guys on bor .

Another reason I am pondering this idea of is my wife and son are doing copy writing for a consulting company that helps college alumni associations "stop declining" donations. AA s are finding that the donations are dropping because big donors are tapped out. The young alums are more into internet , constant contact, go fund me on specific projects which they can give a small $. The AA that are doing well with these constant contact/ small projects loving young alumn are the AA able to re energize their big donors.

Looking at the new gt student ("I" got in so 95% of I s get out ) model, I think it will have less long term unshakeable loyalty to gt. When theyb get out and find life is not a scripted assembly line , will they be give credit to gt getting them ready to solve them.

I fear that we are using the old tin cup model of courting only the top donors . This model is being shown to lead long term decline. Those that wait to then contact young alums (with a small tin cup ) are disappointed in the $.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yea, I know.
I rely too much on a friendly audience and the posting of specifics in hopes of making a point.

Will try to take more time and post from computer.

Your handle leads me to think u can look into subjects.

1. Could u tell me what BP "did" extra to help Coach/Gtaa ?
Anything would be a help to my memory of him ? ( After 09 vt game we followed the students that stole the wishboned goal post . This group took it to the prez mansion. I later read he was very enthusiastic. ) .
Anything like -" he had this post cut up into segments and sent to every leader in his team . To each one he attached that says Gt football made gt proud on Thursday night. "

Besides leaning 10 degrees foward, smiling, and saying , I feel your concerns; and I am sure he"""' did ""'omething to show he cared.

Anything will be accepted with gratitude.

2. What were AA donations for each of last 11 years? Did 14 orange bowl have measurable impact? I think it did. If not it affects my memory of BP. A link to information would be great.

3. What is the $ received from the research $ that is to cover gt overhead. Have seen - 30 to 60% depending on complexity. I am thinking this is a massive amount that other schools dont receive.

Background
(My son and daughter in law are PhD profs in small non stem departments at Baylor. They are under great pressure to publish/ get Grants like baylor medicene. The grant fees includes a large portion to cover "overhead" . Imo, if we may find out the research allowed for pretty thick carpet on the top floors and buddies ? )

Below are some thinking out loud thoughts and some information u might find useful.

With the $ research stream there is no need for bds to be overflowing ( students building positive memories). These research dollars may have ossified ( sic) our leadership and made it less sensitive too the other parts of gt.

Maybe a new leader will embrace the whole college experience. , but money is power and power corrupts ...

The thought to be pondered ="a voluntary segregation of gt research $ and gt school"

Is that really that bad??????.
A. Best case we organize it and present it as gt idea.
Something like
If the grad program and research area to have its own smaller admin and all monies stay inside. That area would have a head like the current prez who is also reportable to the state. With a smaller overhead , it would , havs reduced overhead , we could do more and better research thru higher salaries for reseachers. ( In 99 I did this type contract on the project where AE s dad worked - we got the entire inspection for a giant project ). I think we would get more research, better profs to teach a few classes to undergrads.

After this the prez and the admin should function and be rewarded like every other public school. They show alums every $ is precious, have students from in state, help make the college experience a rich one and are rewarded on merit.
Gm

Worst case - we wait and get hosed by uga guys on bor .

Another reason I am pondering this idea of is my wife and son are doing copy writing for a consulting company that helps college alumni associations "stop declining" donations. AA s are finding that the donations are dropping because big donors are tapped out. The young alums are more into internet , constant contact, go fund me on specific projects which they can give a small $. The AA that are doing well with these constant contact/ small projects loving young alumn are the AA able to re energize their big donors.

Looking at the new gt student ("I" got in so 95% of I s get out ) model, I think it will have less long term unshakeable loyalty to gt. When theyb get out and find life is not a scripted assembly line , will they be give credit to gt getting them ready to solve them.

I fear that we are using the old tin cup model of courting only the top donors . This model is being shown to lead long term decline. Those that wait to then contact young alums (with a small tin cup ) are disappointed in the $.
I wasn't trying to criticize, was just trying to understand what you were trying to say. Sometimes you message is garbled for me. I appreciate what you have to say. Sorry if it came across snarky. You have a friendly audience here.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't trying to criticize, was just trying to understand what you were trying to say. Sometimes you message is garbled for me. I appreciate what you have to say. Sorry if it came across snarky. You have a friendly audience here.
No u arent snarky. In fact u are as they say " as compared to old roll eyes u are a gentlemen and a scholar."

Animal thats a joke!

I saw your handle and was hoping u could help me get some numbers for another content based post. Any idea where u find it without reading old budgets would be a help.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't have access to people inside the system, but I am friends with the AD at Northwestern and we've had some interesting conversations about Northwestern and Georgia Tech. There are a ton of similarities between the two programs today and the issues that they face, both on and off the field. BTW, NW has a 99% graduation this year, which is #1 in the nation. I thought we were pretty good at 86%.

Anyway, he really likes Bud Peterson. He said he's worked on NCAA committees with Bud and said Bud "got it." He commented that BP was a very strong advocate for GT sports, in general, and GT Football, in particular. I mentioned that there were those who follow GT Football closely that felt the he was more of an obstructionist than advocate. Jim told me that was in diametrically opposed to his observations. Now, Jim is an outside observer and doesn't see the internal machinations, so take it for what it's worth. His opinion flavors my opinion of BP because I have tremendous respect for Jim.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't have access to people inside the system, but I am friends with the AD at Northwestern and we've had some interesting conversations about Northwestern and Georgia Tech. There are a ton of similarities between the two programs today and the issues that they face, both on and off the field. BTW, NW has a 99% graduation this year, which is #1 in the nation. I thought we were pretty good at 86%.

Anyway, he really likes Bud Peterson. He said he's worked on NCAA committees with Bud and said Bud "got it." He commented that BP was a very strong advocate for GT sports, in general, and GT Football, in particular. I mentioned that there were those who follow GT Football closely that felt the he was more of an obstructionist than advocate. Jim told me that was in diametrically opposed to his observations. Now, Jim is an outside observer and doesn't see the internal machinations, so take it for what it's worth. His opinion flavors my opinion of BP because I have tremendous respect for Jim.
Those types of opinions I've seen, heard of BP were more he's been (too) apathetic or indifferent than obstructionist.

I thought of Northwestern when it came to replacing BP for President. Not that he would actually leave there for Tech, but that would be a phenomenal hire.

Side note: Northwestern is investing a ton into football etc. Those facilities they are building are amazing. Kudos to your friend.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Thanks for the info. I am glad your friends friend thinks BP was an advocate for athletics. That helps a little.

Boy u are obviously new - here come the giant group of
"Nobody has the academic rigor of Ga Tech.!! = We put our football players thru the grinder and there is no easy out courses for them or anyone. We believe that's a great thing. They agree that ther private schools like nw and Staxxxxx require higher SAT and require 12 written position papers that exceed Gt entrance. But but but the private schools have easy courses and we dont .

They are exactly correct.

Thats why the private schools are at 100%.and why our 86% is amazing.

Why uga grad rate at high 50% doesn't upset them is a mystery .

A little background and a worry

Background
I think he NCAA rule says athletics must grad at about same as rest of school. In the "day" we had lots of non athlete student attrition. Now it's = u get in and we will get u out. I have heard it's close to 95%.
Worry
We could be headed towards a log jam if we dont keep raising player grad rate. I think AE knows about this stuff in detail and may give some specifics.

BP
Maybe some say he is a athletic obstructionist , it ain't me. The BP supporters ( joke) that say he is powerless to do anything .
I say if gt is going to be the a cut above - actually the only school , that's this tough academicly on our players, the prez NEEDS TO """Do""" EXTRA.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer

Its interesting to get an outside perspective. I think BP's biggest flaw was that he didn't clearly communicate what he was doing behind the scene.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Its interesting to get an outside perspective. I think BP's biggest flaw was that he didn't clearly communicate what he was doing behind the scene.

If u think of anything he did that a good/ above and beyond for gt football I really would like to hear it. It bothers me that I have seen him attend lots of halftime and I dont know what he has done beside attend. When I have( casually ) met him he does seem genuinely interested.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
If u think of anything he did that a good/ above and beyond for gt football I really would like to hear it. It bothers me that I have seen him attend lots of halftime and I dont know what he has done beside attend. When I have( casually ) met him he does seem genuinely interested.
Because of his lack of communication I can't name one. The previous poster said his contact said BP got it, and I never saw any example of it.

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
IIRC, the reason was that GT didn't create the type of engineers the state needed and that GT students were recruited on the national / international scale (i.e., didn't always fill the needs in Georgia directly). The state identified a need for "less advanced" engineer (for lack of a better term), which wouldn't command the same expertise / salary as a GT grad. This is where UGA came in - engineering students who can fill in-state needs at companies that didn't need or couldn't afford students from a top 5 US engineering program.

I'm curious why they didn't use the funds to expand / enhance Kennesaw State (SPSU), but I admittedly don't know much on this.

Again, this is just my recollection, so I could be off base a bit.
This x 100000!

There was no reason to give an engineering program to UGA. When KSU/Southern Tech is already there.

And even if the BOR numbers were against GT, they should have extracted something in exchange for GT like allowing GT to offer a law degree.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk