Preseason Depth Chart Thoughts

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
He wouldn’t be safety if that were true. He’s still also one of the fastest players on the team. I still think moving him to NB & Trae to FS should be the move.
He’s SS for his run support. He was 40 pound overweight to start the season last year he didn’t get his speed back til he could work out properly again. He had the wrist injuries.

slugboy

Staff member
It will be interesting to see how many of the DEs stick around after Spring.There is a bunch there.
By the end of last season, how many of them were out? If you were a DE last season, you got your shot to play and then some.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
By the end of last season, how many of them were out? If you were a DE last season, you got your shot to play and then some.
Yeah those guys are all going to get a trial by fire, the ones who can get to the QB will be the winners. I’m really excited about some of those guys, we have more Raw talent there than i can ever remember, we should be able to attack our opponents with waves of fresh pass rushers

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
You might have Tariq confused with Juanyeh maybe Tariq is one of the worst Pass Coverage guys we have but he’s very good against the run.
They both need to be at LB, or at least get a shot at it. If either ever plays in the NFL i would have to think thats where they would land at speedwise. Dropping back in coverage would be natural for them, taking on off Linemen would be a harsh adjustment though.....I love Tariq’s attitude and toughness, i really think he has the mindset to knock heads on almost every play.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
pay site lol

Me, personally doesn’t believe Tre is best suited to be a man CB. Doesn’t have the recovery speed for it. Also bc of Watson & Brooks
He seemed to get picked on a lot last year. I'm not sure if last year was a down year for him, but he lacked that edge he had during his freshman year imo.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
he missed a lot of games early in the season, Whatever it Was (covid?) may have affected his play later on
Several surgeries last spring and summer. He couldn't workout and weight went to 251#. He didn't reach playing weight 'till November.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
They both need to be at LB, or at least get a shot at it. If either ever plays in the NFL i would have to think thats where they would land at speedwise. Dropping back in coverage would be natural for them, taking on off Linemen would be a harsh adjustment though.....I love Tariq’s attitude and toughness, i really think he has the mindset to knock heads on almost every play.

In 4-2-5 The second middle is often a coverage backer and usually smaller the if tariq coudl gaine 20 lbs without losing speed he'd easily slot into this position (think deon jones on atlanta)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just catching up here since I've been all in on our MBB team this month, but holy crap our DEs...we are absolutely LOADED there. Most of the talent there is young as well.

Don't sleep on Makius Scott. He's our only DT with that kind of size/speed/athleticism combo. He's playing next season, and he's playing a LOT of snaps.

Our DL overall should be a good group across the first team, but probably a little weaker in the middle once we have to sub in. DEs are just going to be a wave after wave of absolute monsters coming after the QB. Good luck OTs and QBs...you get ZERO breaks playing us. Nice to say that for once.

On offense, I would be shocked if Leo Blackburn isn't an impact freshmen for us. Patenaude better figure it out quick, because Blackburn should be a touchdown for us every game. He's a matchup nightmare across the formation. Between Blackburn and Gibbs, we should have ZERO problems moving the ball. If Patenaude can't make it work next season, well, CGC might need reassess the OC situation.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting to see how many of the DEs stick around after Spring.There is a bunch there.
Our D philosophy is to play a lot of guys so the D can stay fresh. In this day of tempo offenses that is key. Clemson has defacto two starting front 7s.

Between rolling guys in, STs, the inevitable injuries, and redshirting there may not be a ton of DE transfers.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
On offense, I would be shocked if Leo Blackburn isn't an impact freshmen for us. Patenaude better figure it out quick, because Blackburn should be a touchdown for us every game

So like completely smash the freshman WR TD record?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Ha! Guess I was overly ambitious about Blackburn's prospects. I'll just say Blackburn can be one of our biggest weapons next season if they use him correctly.

I'll go ahead and say people need to slow their roll on Blackburn a bit. Not as it pertains to the coaches but as it pertains to putting unreasonable expectations on a true freshman. Go check out some freshman stats from high rated WR in the past. There are obvious exceptions, but a lot of really high rated WRs don't make instant impacts. And while that is probably in part due to playing in programs with better WRs ahead of them, WR is a position where if you really stand out the way people think Blackburn will, you get on the field. I'm not saying he can't do it, but there is a big difference between thinking what is possible and what is expected.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Just catching up here since I've been all in on our MBB team this month, but holy crap our DEs...we are absolutely LOADED there. Most of the talent there is young as well.

Don't sleep on Makius Scott. He's our only DT with that kind of size/speed/athleticism combo. He's playing next season, and he's playing a LOT of snaps.

Our DL overall should be a good group across the first team, but probably a little weaker in the middle once we have to sub in. DEs are just going to be a wave after wave of absolute monsters coming after the QB. Good luck OTs and QBs...you get ZERO breaks playing us. Nice to say that for once.

On offense, I would be shocked if Leo Blackburn isn't an impact freshmen for us. Patenaude better figure it out quick, because Blackburn should be a touchdown for us every game. He's a matchup nightmare across the formation. Between Blackburn and Gibbs, we should have ZERO problems moving the ball. If Patenaude can't make it work next season, well, CGC might need reassess the OC situation.
"DEs are just going to be a wave after wave of absolute monsters coming after the QB. Good luck OTs and QBs...you get ZERO breaks playing us. Nice to say that for once."
That may be a bit of an exaggeration, IMO. Couldn't tell if you were really serious. Don't get me wrong, I expect that position to be very improved next year, but at this point I am hoping we have 1-2 guys that need to be double teamed on a regular basis. We will learn a lot more beginning on Sept. 18th, 2021. If we are 4-1 after Pitt game, I will start believing, not just hoping.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
"DEs are just going to be a wave after wave of absolute monsters coming after the QB. Good luck OTs and QBs...you get ZERO breaks playing us. Nice to say that for once."
That may be a bit of an exaggeration, IMO. Couldn't tell if you were really serious. Don't get me wrong, I expect that position to be very improved next year, but at this point I am hoping we have 1-2 guys that need to be double teamed on a regular basis. We will learn a lot more beginning on Sept. 18th, 2021. If we are 4-1 after Pitt game, I will start believing, not just hoping.
If we're 4-1 at that point, we will have beaten one of our top 3 opponents. That would be just fine with me.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I am 100% serious about our DEs.

Mark this post for the season. We can revisit this when it comes to fruition.