Preseason Depth Chart Thoughts

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Doesn’t Makius have more of a prototypical DT frame over Brooks? Brooks was the best we’ve had (and love his heart) but...he’s never had the size that DTs at power 5 usually have.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Doesn’t Makius have more of a prototypical DT frame over Brooks? Brooks was the best we’ve had (and love his heart) but...he’s never had the size that DTs at power 5 usually have.
I’ll take Aaron Donald 6’1” 285 or Geno Atkins 6’1” 305 all day long. If Makius can overtake a two year starter that has been in our weight room for 4 years that would certainly be impressive. I’m just excited that we possibly have the best looking depth since 2008.

slugboy

Staff member
I’m so used to thinking our interior defensive linemen are smaller than or opponent’s that I went out and looked last year, Our interior defensive linemen last season were taller and heavier than Notre Dame’s and on par or bigger than our opponents. Aside from a couple of players, our interior defensive linemen are young, but Brooks is reasonable for weight for a P5 nose guard.

Clemson’s heaviest DT is Payton Page at 6’4” and 315 lbs. Most are around 300, with quite a few weighing less. Brooks is 6-1 305. Chimedza is 6’3” and 312. Zeek Biggers is 6’3” and 325 lbs, and I don’t see many defensive line players that big looking around the ACC or SEC rosters. Alabama’s defensive linemen are generally in the same weight and height class as our guys, with Tim Smith at 320 and Jamil Burroughs at 326 being their heavyweights, but most are the same height and weight as our guys.

Ten pounds does make a difference, but it’s not a height and weight difference for us on the interior defensive line.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’m so used to thinking our interior defensive linemen are smaller than or opponent’s that I went out and looked last year, Our interior defensive linemen last season were taller and heavier than Notre Dame’s and on par or bigger than our opponents. Aside from a couple of players, our interior defensive linemen are young, but Brooks is reasonable for weight for a P5 nose guard.

Clemson’s heaviest DT is Payton Page at 6’4” and 315 lbs. Most are around 300, with quite a few weighing less. Brooks is 6-1 305. Chimedza is 6’3” and 312. Zeek Biggers is 6’3” and 325 lbs, and I don’t see many defensive line players that big looking around the ACC or SEC rosters. Alabama’s defensive linemen are generally in the same weight and height class as our guys, with Tim Smith at 320 and Jamil Burroughs at 326 being their heavyweights, but most are the same height and weight as our guys.

Ten pounds does make a difference, but it’s not a height and weight difference for us on the interior defensive line.
Your analysis punched holes in my misconceptions. Funny how data always trumps emotions or feelings.

slugboy

Staff member
Your analysis punched holes in my misconceptions. Funny how data always trumps emotions or feelings.
Thanks!

You can also look at just the cream of the crop—the nose tackles that are just about to get drafted. There are more of the giant players at 326 or 330, but there’s also a few at 300 or 295: https://walterfootball.com/draft2020NT.php

In the 2020 NFL All Pro team, you’ve got Aaron Donald at 6’1”/280 (can you believe he’s that light?), DeForest Buckner at 6’7”/295, and Chris Jones at 6’6”/ 310. Those guys aren’t just a cut above NCAA players; they’re a cut above the rest of the NFL, and their body types are all over the place.

Anyway, I think we’re probably in speed/technique/coaching territory for our DL and not so much in “we’re too small” territory.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks!

You can also look at just the cream of the crop—the nose tackles that are just about to get drafted. There are more of the giant players at 326 or 330, but there’s also a few at 300 or 295: https://walterfootball.com/draft2020NT.php

In the 2020 NFL All Pro team, you’ve got Aaron Donald at 6’1”/280 (can you believe he’s that light?), DeForest Buckner at 6’7”/295, and Chris Jones at 6’6”/ 310. Those guys aren’t just a cut above NCAA players; they’re a cut above the rest of the NFL, and their body types are all over the place.

Anyway, I think we’re probably in speed/technique/coaching territory for our DL and not so much in “we’re too small” territory.
Zeek is 6’6/6’7.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Thanks. A lot of us look at our DL and see midgets. On the contrary, it is usual for OLs to outweigh - sometimes vastly - DLs. The two positions require very different talents and really big people often have a hard time making the splash you might expect, as Tech has found out in the recent past. As you point out, our interior DLs are about average in size. The problem is that they are young. Sometimes a Sapp or Donald or Perdoni shows up and canceled all the calculations, but, in general, DLs need experience to make a difference, just like OLs do.

Your post sets the record straight on this. Now all we have to do is find our Perdoni.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
pay site lol

Me, personally doesn’t believe Tre is best suited to be a man CB. Doesn’t have the recovery speed for it. Also bc of Watson & Brooks
Just feel like He’s not physical enough, don’t like that. I wanted Wes Walk, he was ready to take that spot over IMO he played better then anyone late in the season.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Did anything happen for y’all to think Tre is going to slide to NB other then K. Oliver leaving? He hasn’t played Nickel or Slot corner ever for us.
On one hand, that's surprising since Collins said after his first spring practice with Tech that Tre was the only corner he had. On the other hand, like at so many other positions, the younger guys are just more talented.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
You Really want Tariq Carpenter covering slot receivers?

Tariq is one of the fastest players on the team. He can play in the box as a linebacker and cover like a safety. He has the size to cover TE’s and the speed to cover the slot. Not saying that if a team is running 3 wide we playing man. I would expect shading or even a switch.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Tariq is one of the fastest players on the team. He can play in the box as a linebacker and cover like a safety. He has the size to cover TE’s and the speed to cover the slot. Not saying that if a team is running 3 wide we playing man. I would expect shading or even a switch.
You might have Tariq confused with Juanyeh maybe Tariq is one of the worst Pass Coverage guys we have but he’s very good against the run.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. A lot of us look at our DL and see midgets. On the contrary, it is usual for OLs to outweigh - sometimes vastly - DLs. The two positions require very different talents and really big people often have a hard time making the splash you might expect, as Tech has found out in the recent past. As you point out, our interior DLs are about average in size. The problem is that they are young. Sometimes a Sapp or Donald or Perdoni shows up and canceled all the calculations, but, in general, DLs need experience to make a difference, just like OLs do.

Your post sets the record straight on this. Now all we have to do is find our Perdoni.
Like most FB positions, excellence involves a lot more than measurables. Motor, technique, intelligence, flexibility to name a few. On paper, we have more NUMBERS at all positions. They are bigger and faster than in recent memory. There should be fierce competition at all positions. This is GREAT NEWS and makes me very excited and optimistic about next year. BUT, and it's a big but, will that translate into wins on the field ? I think that we can all agree that the jury is still out. Looks promising , but all the talk on height and weight and stars and transfers is just that- talk- at this point.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
You might have Tariq confused with Juanyeh maybe Tariq is one of the worst Pass Coverage guys we have but he’s very good against the run.

He wouldn’t be safety if that were true. He’s still also one of the fastest players on the team. I still think moving him to NB & Trae to FS should be the move.