Preseason Depth Chart Thoughts

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
All points are valid, especially during the off season. That is what message boards are for - the diehards to pass time until the next game. I’m as optimistic as anyone and I love the Collins approach of marketing and hype. But, I’m also po’d that we looked like garbage in way too many games last year. The last game of year 2 (Pittsburgh) we looked like a team that had never practiced together. From the first play where we gave up a 70 yard run and made that kid look like a Heisman candidate, to watching #2 on defense purposely commit a 15 yard right in front of me, to an offense that was so schizo it was frustrating to walk out of Bobby Dodd without a sour taste. So, to me, this off season is about one thing - can they coach? Kennesaw is going to tell us a lot because we know, like the Citadel, they are properly coached and motivated. If we get the W, that will help me breathe.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
All points are valid, especially during the off season. That is what message boards are for - the diehards to pass time until the next game. I’m as optimistic as anyone and I love the Collins approach of marketing and hype. But, I’m also po’d that we looked like garbage in way too many games last year. The last game of year 2 (Pittsburgh) we looked like a team that had never practiced together. From the first play where we gave up a 70 yard run and made that kid look like a Heisman candidate, to watching #2 on defense purposely commit a 15 yard right in front of me, to an offense that was so schizo it was frustrating to walk out of Bobby Dodd without a sour taste. So, to me, this off season is about one thing - can they coach? Kennesaw is going to tell us a lot because we know, like the Citadel, they are properly coached and motivated. If we get the W, that will help me breathe.
That game like many with Pitt, was what do the kids call it? Chippy? A lot of jawing and the coaches apparently have no love lost between them either. What is it about Pitt that provokes so much heat?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'll be watching KSU as well. One problem = they just finished their 2021 spring season on 10 April. Iow, when they play Tech they won't be waiting for the leaves to change for the O to be cooking; they'll be essentially picking up where they left off. Nothing like playing 6 regular football games to substitute for spring practice. Whether this translates into a winning performance for the Owls (there's irony for you) will be up to us.

Btw, this year they'll be joined by a 6'4", 280 frosh DT from - wait for it - OZ. He played for Gotsis's old football club. Let's hope that doesn't work out.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
According to Wikipedia Sir Isaac Newton's was using calculus in 1666. 11th-century Arab mathematician Ibn al-Haytham (Alhazen) was using integration to derive a formula for the sum of fourth powers.

It's been a minute since I have taken any sort of math history course but I believe Haytham wasn't using integration per se but rather similar ideas that when applied could lead to the development of calculus. Similar to how the ideas of infinitesimals could lead to calculus and date back to, at least, Archimedes.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Btw, this year they'll be joined by a 6'4", 280 frosh DT from - wait for it - OZ. He played for Gotsis's old football club. Let's hope that doesn't work out.
I hope it does actually. Great story, and let's remember that the FR Adam G was not the same player that the senior Adam G was. He was thrown into the fray due to lack of bodies but like 99% of all lineman on the planet he wasn't the force he was to become with time, age and experience.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
WE've talked a lot about "the team" but how much new info do we have about the PLAYERS? Little has really come out it seems.

Who is the MOST improved on OL? DL? DBs? WRs? LBs? What new FRs stood out ? Anybody got answers?

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Kyle Kennard and Kevin Harris look like beasts on the edge, along with Dominick and Clayton.

I love true Fr Kaleb Edwards, he looked great on his reps, bet he gets playing time later in the season and keeps his redshirt with Riq and Yeh being so dominant

Ace and Quez looked great playing together at LB

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
On O Avery Boyd showed out at WR. McGowen from Northwestern already looked like an integral piece. At QB Sims looked good I thought. Clear #1. Yates has improved. Peery looks good for a freshman...running won't be his strength but he is crafty and quick enough to make D's that neglect him pay. Back up QB overall more solid this year, IMO. Cochran at OT is what we thought he'd be, which is pretty darn good. A. Smith and P. Vaipulu competing on the OL, looks like both will get some snaps this year. Swilling looked good at RB and that room couldn't be any more loaded.

On D Carpenter is healthy, has leaned down, is moving well. The DEs mtodd30 mentioned looked good, Jared Ivey has gotten big, and tr-fr Josh Robinson was pleasant surprise. Tr-fr Tatum will be a player at LB. IMO will be in the rotation this year: great instincts and generates pop. Transfer DT Makius Scott will play this year and his quickness jumped out to me.

For me Boyd, Peery, and J. Robinson were the biggest surprises. Tatum somewhat because tr-fr but from his HS film and body I thought he would have a good chance to contribute right away.

Overall impression is we have some good young talent fortified by by vets from the transfer market. The youth and a murderous schedule likely to include 3 top 10 teams will make it tough. We could catch lightning in a bottle and be pretty good/go to a bowl. But wUGA, Clemson, & Notre Dame I am thinking more like 4 or 5 wins. Overall we should be a much more competitive and dangerous football team.

YellowJacket55

Georgia Tech Fan
Kevin Harris was a huge recruit out of HS, but with all our supposed DE talent where will he fit? He was supposed to be a speed rusher, so was he practicing at OLB in the 3-4 there?

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It's been a minute since I have taken any sort of math history course but I believe Haytham wasn't using integration per se but rather similar ideas that when applied could lead to the development of calculus. Similar to how the ideas of infinitesimals could lead to calculus and date back to, at least, Archimedes.
I agree Haytham wasn't using calculus, but a method that evolved into intergration. I am no math or physics expert but I knew Newton used calculus in the late 1600's to derive his formulas for gravitation and mechanics.