Pre Fall: Projected Depth Chart

alagold

Helluva Engineer
One thing that I think will be a big factor in WR snaps is ability to beat press coverage. Typically you would want bigger, stronger receivers on the line of scrimmage, but if some of our smaller speedier receivers can develop techniques to avoid getting jammed at the line, it will allow for greater personnel and formation flexibility.
Another consideration on WRs is whether they can block.Smaller WRs are at a disadvantage in that department.So you have speed/quickness but less size. a play-off.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm betting this won't last Williams is a natural guard.

This. Unless he's improved his lateral quickness, and reaction off the snap, I just don't see how putting him on the perimeter is good for him or the team. It's possible Williams is the best available for RT. IMO, Williams is actually a talented OG, but his weaknesses are severely exposed at OT.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
This. Unless he's improved his lateral quickness, and reaction off the snap, I just don't see how putting him on the perimeter is good for him or the team. It's possible Williams is the best available for RT. IMO, Williams is actually a talented OG, but his weaknesses are severely exposed at OT.
If Williams is expected to start at tackle it would signal that Leftwich has not progressed as much as hoped. I think they were looking for him to take that spot. I agree Williams is best suited for OG.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If Williams is expected to start at tackle it would signal that Leftwich has not progressed as much as hoped. I think they were looking for him to take that spot. I agree Williams is best suited for OG.
Or another perspective, maybe they’re very happy with the guards we do have. If the staff feels set at guard, no reason to pull a tackle over. Having Williams and Leftwich be interchangeable is a luxury at tackle that any coach would kill for. I wouldn’t see Williams staying as a slight to Leftwich. Not to say you’re incorrect, there’s just more scenarios that are possible.

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
We need Leftwich to step up this year and be a major contributor

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I look for some of the younger players ( soph ,jr ) that have been in the program for 3+ years to begin to contribute. They have had one the best OL coaches in the country.
That last sentence is very questionable, Key was below avg as our OL coach. The OL has been wretched since he took over, by far the worst unit on the team every year. I know there was some mismatch stuff going on with the players and new system, but after 3 years there was still no improvement

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
That last sentence is very questionable, Key was below avg as our OL coach. The OL has been wretched since he took over, by far the worst unit on the team every year. I know there was some mismatch stuff going on with the players and new system, but after 3 years there was still no improvement
I'll give Key the benefit of the doubt and assume (by way of my own eyeballs) that he didn't have the horses to pull the wagon these past few years.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
We had been extremely young on the OL and subbed in transfers here and there so hoping we can finally have an older cohesive unit this year.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
We haven't had enough OL players suitable for a balanced run-pass offense for the last 4 years, or the ones we had were too young and inexperienced to fully contribute. My beef with Key as OL coach was not that he wasn't a good teacher, but that he worked them too hard in practice after the season began, which resulted in OL injuires. This isn't Alabama, and you can't do that with a team that has no OL depth. Several of the teams that Friedgen had here had little OL depth, and he backed off practice rigor once the season began.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
OL play seemed to get better after Key took over last year. Still wasnt good, but hopefully we can keep that momentum into this year. This is the first year we have had continuity between seasons on the OL and we also added a couple pieces that I think could immediately step into the rotation and help this year (Scalione-starter, Brown-depth, Fortson-depth)

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
These aren’t necessarily in order of depth, more so this is our depth and who I think will “travel.”

Quarterback
Zach Pyron 6’3 213
Haynes King 6’3 205
Zach Gibson 6’3 211

Notes: I think we’ll be in a good position with whoever emerges between Pyron and King. They seem kinda even to me at the moment. Pyron is somewhat of the incumbent, looked good in spring, and is a tough sob. King brings in more starts, snaps, and production from his time at A&M. I think Gibson has proven to be a serviceable backup if we have to go to the 3rd man. We’ve seen how quick that can happen.

Wide Receiver
Dominick Blaylock 6’1 205
Malik Rutherford 5’9 155
Christian Leary 5’10 175
Avery Boyd 6’2 230
DJ Moore 6’1 187
Abdul Janneh 6’3 180
Chase Lane 6’0 185
Jamal Haynes 5’9 180
James Blackstrain 6’2 188

Notes: Really excited about this group. Who are the first 3? Leary’s really the only one of the transfers who doesn’t bring a whole lot of production from the previous stop, but he may be the best of the bunch, was just buried on a talented roster at Alabama. Wish we had Leo.

Running Back
Dontae Smith 5’11 203
Tre Cooley 5’10 200
Jamie Felix 5’10 204
Evan Dickens 5’11 180
Daylon Gordon 5’9 185

Notes: Dontae, Tre, then I dunno after that. I think Evan may emerge.

Tight End
Dylan Leonard 6’5 238
Brett Seither 6’5 228
Billy Ward 6’4 246
Luke Benson 6’4 236
Jackson Long 6’3 230

Notes: This has definitely been a position of weakness since we left the 3O. I think Buster will find his 1-3 guys outta this bunch. I think any of Dylan, Brett, Billy, Luke can do it. Jackson is young. Brett is a mystery. Could be the TE room’s version of Leary. The 3rd guy behind two of the nation’s best TEs at uga.

Offensive Line
Corey Robinson 6’5 294
Joe Fusile 6’6 316
Westin Franklin 6’4 305
Connor Scaglione 6’4 305
Jordan Williams 6’6 312
Jakiah Leftwich 6’6 311
Paul Tchio 6’5 314
Jordan Brown 6’5 320
Brandon Best 6’4 311
Tyler Gibson 6’5 301

Notes: I think it’ll go LT Robinson, LG Fusile, C Franklin, and some rendition of Williams with Leftwich or Scaglione on the right side, with Williams definitely in there and potentially at RG. I think Scaglione spent time at both RG and RT at Princeton. Tchio and Brown could also end up in there somewhere. I bet we also have a freshman emerge somewhere as depth. We need this group to step up this year.

If I have to guess the starters today…
QB: Pyron
RB: Smith
WR: Blaylock
WR: Leary
WR: Rutherford
TE: Leonard
LT: Robinson
LG: Fusile
C: Franklin
RG: Williams
RT: Scaglione

I’ll post the defense later.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
OL more than any other position group, is a combination of size, strength and unit chemistry. I think we have the first two components intact. If we can develop the chemistry, we could be very good. I see the center as the leader in this regard, so if Franklin can provide the leadership needed here, we got a really good shot.

Go Jackets!

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
These aren’t necessarily in order of depth, more so this is our depth and who I think will “travel.”

Quarterback
Zach Pyron 6’3 213
Haynes King 6’3 205
Zach Gibson 6’3 211

Notes: I think we’ll be in a good position with whoever emerges between Pyron and King. They seem kinda even to me at the moment. Pyron is somewhat of the incumbent, looked good in spring, and is a tough sob. King brings in more starts, snaps, and production from his time at A&M. I think Gibson has proven to be a serviceable backup if we have to go to the 3rd man. We’ve seen how quick that can happen.

Wide Receiver
Dominick Blaylock 6’1 205
Malik Rutherford 5’9 155
Christian Leary 5’10 175
Avery Boyd 6’2 230
DJ Moore 6’1 187
Abdul Janneh 6’3 180
Chase Lane 6’0 185
Jamal Haynes 5’9 180
James Blackstrain 6’2 188

Notes: Really excited about this group. Who are the first 3? Leary’s really the only one of the transfers who doesn’t bring a whole lot of production from the previous stop, but he may be the best of the bunch, was just buried on a talented roster at Alabama. Wish we had Leo.

Running Back
Dontae Smith 5’11 203
Tre Cooley 5’10 200
Jamie Felix 5’10 204
Evan Dickens 5’11 180
Daylon Gordon 5’9 185

Notes: Dontae, Tre, then I dunno after that. I think Evan may emerge.

Tight End
Dylan Leonard 6’5 238
Brett Seither 6’5 228
Billy Ward 6’4 246
Luke Benson 6’4 236
Jackson Long 6’3 230

Notes: This has definitely been a position of weakness since we left the 3O. I think Buster will find his 1-3 guys outta this bunch. I think any of Dylan, Brett, Billy, Luke can do it. Jackson is young. Brett is a mystery. Could be the TE room’s version of Leary. The 3rd guy behind two of the nation’s best TEs at uga.

Offensive Line
Corey Robinson 6’5 294
Joe Fusile 6’6 316
Westin Franklin 6’4 305
Connor Scaglione 6’4 305
Jordan Williams 6’6 312
Jakiah Leftwich 6’6 311
Paul Tchio 6’5 314
Jordan Brown 6’5 320
Brandon Best 6’4 311
Tyler Gibson 6’5 301

Notes: I think it’ll go LT Robinson, LG Fusile, C Franklin, and some rendition of Williams with Leftwich or Scaglione on the right side, with Williams definitely in there and potentially at RG. I think Scaglione spent time at both RG and RT at Princeton. Tchio and Brown could also end up in there somewhere. I bet we also have a freshman emerge somewhere as depth. We need this group to step up this year.

If I have to guess the starters today…
QB: Pyron
RB: Smith
WR: Blaylock
WR: Leary
WR: Rutherford
TE: Leonard
LT: Robinson
LG: Fusile
C: Franklin
RG: Williams
RT: Scaglione

I’ll post the defense later.
This seems a lot like an Above The Line sheet

Joking. Joking…

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Don’t sleep on Singleton at WR either. Would not be surprised to see him be in the 2 deep or even start at some point this year

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This seems a lot like an Above The Line sheet

Joking. Joking…
The League No GIF