Pre Fall: Projected Depth Chart

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Since it’s the off-season, this is my guess and comments on a potential depth chart.

OFFENSE:
QB battle in fall camp will obviously be the most interesting story. I could see either one winning out but I’m leaning Pyron now. I think the WRs will be the most improved and most fun group this year. We have completely rebuilt with speed, and CBKs offense + Crawford will lead to some big receiving numbers. Will this be our first year since 2007 with 2+ receivers over 500 yards? I think we will have 3! Rutherford, Leary, Moore, and Blaylock play all over the field so the starters are somewhat arbitrary and fluid. RBs are deep and I’m excited to see Felix and Dickens get touches. OL should be much improved. I think Scaglione will be the biggest surprise.

QB: Pyron, King

RB: Smith, Cooley

WR: Rutherford, Blaylock/Lane

WR: Moore, Janneh/Boyd

Slot: Leary, Singleton

TE: Leonard, Seither

LT: Robinson, Gibson

LG: Fusile, Brown

C: Franklin, Best/Fortson

RG: Scaglione, Tchio

RT: Williams, Leftwich

Breakout players: Rutherford, DJ Moore, Leary, Pyron
Impact transfers: Leary, Blaylock, Scaglione, Cooley
Impact freshmen: Singleton, Taylor, Dickens, Fortson

DEFENSE:
LB production will be the most important thing to watch this year. Luckily we have more depth than we ever did under CGC but we need Tatum and Meiguez to step up. I think White and Oliver will be very solid but can they come close to Thomas and Eley? Sherrer is a good coach and we saw the defense play much better once Thacker got full rein. DL should be solid but we need some DEs to step up and replace White. I’m expecting a big year from Douse and Biggers at DT. Our DBs have maybe the most talent of any position on paper but depth could be a concern. I’m predicting Brooks to have an All ACC year and get drafted. KJ Wallace is an under the radar guy that I think could have a huge season. We didn’t bring in a lot of developed freshmen so I expect most of them to redshirt and maybe play some ST.

WDE: Kennard, Collins/Harris

DT: Scott, Biggers

DT: Douse, Lockhart/Moore

SDE: Yondjouen, Ruben/Robinson

LB: Oliver, Tatum

LB: White, Meiguez/Moala

CB: Sims, Johnson

CB: Watson, Daniels/Harvey

FS: Brooks, Bryant/Gee

SS: Powell-Lee, King

NB: Wallace, Shelley/Gee

Breakout players: Douse, Brooks, Wallace
Impact transfers: Oliver, White, Ruben, Moala
Impact freshmen (I don’t think a lot will play but some ST impacts): Cruz, Shymeik Jones, Ashley, Steven Jones

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Since it’s the off-season, this is my guess and comments on a potential depth chart.

OFFENSE:
QB battle in fall camp will obviously be the most interesting story. I could see either one winning out but I’m leaning Pyron now. I think the WRs will be the most improved and most fun group this year. We have completely rebuilt with speed, and CBKs offense + Crawford will lead to some big receiving numbers. Will this be our first year since 2007 with 2+ receivers over 500 yards? I think we will have 3! Rutherford, Leary, Moore, and Blaylock play all over the field so the starters are somewhat arbitrary and fluid. RBs are deep and I’m excited to see Felix and Dickens get touches. OL should be much improved. I think Scaglione will be the biggest surprise.

DEFENSE:
LB production will be the most important thing to watch this year. Luckily we have more depth than we ever did under CGC but we need Tatum and Meiguez to step up. I think White and Oliver will be very solid but can they come close to Thomas and Eley? Sherrer is a good coach and we saw the defense play much better once Thacker got full rein. DL should be solid but we need some DEs to step up and replace White. I’m expecting a big year from Douse and Biggers at DT. Our DBs have maybe the most talent of any position on paper but depth could be a concern. I’m predicting Brooks to have an All ACC year and get drafted. KJ Wallace is an under the radar guy that I think could have a huge season. We didn’t bring in a lot of developed freshmen so I expect most of them to redshirt and maybe play some ST.

Impact freshmen (I don’t think a lot will play but some ST impacts): Cruz, Shymeik Jones, Ashley, Steven Jones
I thought Lockhart on DT transferred out? Or am I confusing that with someone else. I know Stone transferred to Ole Miss but I thought Lockhart also left.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Lockett is still listed on the team roster on ramblinwreck.com. I guess the news is pretty recent.

Sorry I got Lockett and Lockhart confused.

Last edited:

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Jordan Williams will remain at guard and Robinson and Leftwich will be the starting tackles with Gibson the primary backup there. I hope Scaglione can be a serviceable backup at Guard and possibly Tackle. I'm sure they think he can play since he only has one year of eligibility remaining.

Go Jackets!

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for doing this! Rutherford is a slot receiver I thought?
I mentioned that I think Rutherford, Blaylock, and Leary will play all over so the receiver/slot positions are fluid. I just think Buster will try to find a way to get Rutherford and Leary on the field at the same time given their speed.

In the spring game Rutherford commonly lined up at WR with Leary in the slot

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

OFFENSE:

DEFENSE:

This is awesome. Thanks for putting it together. I'm still frustrated for Leo Blackburn - the luck of his draw must be killing him.

(Also, gotta say - I'm disappointed with the lack of comments in this thread speculating on "who's ATL?")

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Rutherford plays both but played WR in the Spring. Left out was Haynes who will push Leary at slot.
Haynes is a RB now. I suspect the staff are expecting big things from Singleton which could be the reason for the move. We have a lot of guys who can play slot now.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Haynes is a RB now. I suspect the staff are expecting big things from Singleton which could be the reason for the move. We have a lot of guys who can play slot now.
Really? I hadn't heard that. That RB has a lot of potential so I'm kind of surprised he made that move. Figured WR/Slot would be a better way to see the field.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

OFFENSE:

DEFENSE:

Since this is all opinions I will offer some tweaks. On O Haynes at slot is likely behind Leary and ahead of the freshman Singleton. The OL and in particular J Williams seemed better at RG with a battle between Fusile and Scaglione at the other guard and backup. I believe the lone freshman in the line will be Cloy. I agree with Gibson backing up the tackles and Best backing up C. On D the big question for me is where predominantly do Bryant and King play, since both safeties also are cross trained for Nickel. Shelly at 165# seems to be a situational cover guy predominantly. I agree with you on the battle among Harvey, Daniels, and Watson (also Johnson) to start ar CB. The transfers are unknown and could change things a lot either way, especially at LB..

I believe you are spot on with Rutherford and Blaylock at the same position as both can run after catch and the OC has created some special plays to take advantage of Rutherford skiills which also fit what we think about Blaylock. I also agree with Moore as the starter at the other WR.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Since this is all opinions I will offer some tweaks. On O Haynes at slot is likely behind Leary and ahead of the freshman Singleton. The OL and in particular J Williams seemed better at RG with a battle between Fusile and Scaglione at the other guard and backup. I believe the lone freshman in the line will be Cloy. I agree with Gibson backing up the tackles and Best backing up C. On D the big question for me is where predominantly do Bryant and King play, since both safeties also are cross trained for Nickel. Shelly at 165# seems to be a situational cover guy predominantly. I agree with you on the battle among Harvey, Daniels, and Watson (also Johnson) to start ar CB. The transfers are unknown and could change things a lot either way, especially at LB..

I believe you are spot on with Rutherford and Blaylock at the same position as both can run after catch and the OC has created some special plays to take advantage of Rutherford skiills which also fit what we think about Blaylock. I also agree with Moore as the starter at the other WR.
I heard Haynes is now a RB which is why I didn’t list him. On the OL I have also heard Scaglione and Fusile are expected starters at Guard which has pushed Williams back to RT to get the best 5 on the field. I think the OL will be rotational and a lot could change in fall camp. I personally thought Williams played better at RG last year.