Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Do you think we could win a National Championship with the option offense and Jeff Monken? Honest opinion.

You did not ask me, but yes, I do. I thought PJ could as well. Now, with that said, something would obviously have to improve recruiting about 15% above where we have been recently, especially on the front 7 D.

Deleted member 2897

I don't agree with it, but some coaches and ADs think what we do is really, really dirty and injures people. Of course, more OL get rolled up pass blocking than anything, but the perception is we're 'dirty', and that taints the perception of people with influence against us. My opinion. Some of the scheduling stuff is UNC and Duke getting Tobacco Road favors too.

Well its a bunch of fake news and nobody has any evidence to back it up. We had ZERO chop block penalties this year. Other people's false opinions shouldn't affect our scheduling. And certainly I don't see why it would give us a bunch of noon games because of it...I think the ACC just sucks donkey arses. And Georgia Tech lets them get away with it. Case and point, we get passed by 5 teams we beat for closer/better bowl games, and not one person at Georgia Tech makes a public comment about it or to the ACC or anything. And now we're on the hook for $800,000 of ticket sales in some far off city.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Well its a bunch of fake news and nobody has any evidence to back it up. We had ZERO chop block penalties this year. Other people's false opinions shouldn't affect our scheduling. And certainly I don't see why it would give us a bunch of noon games because of it...I think the ACC just sucks donkey arses. And Georgia Tech lets them get away with it. Case and point, we get passed by 5 teams we beat for closer/better bowl games, and not one person at Georgia Tech makes a public comment about it or to the ACC or anything. And now we're on the hook for $800,000 of ticket sales in some far off city.
It's like with a lot of things in my opinion, recruiting included. We're already the redheaded stepchild in a dozen ways. Running the option exacerbates that.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
You did not ask me, but yes, I do. I thought PJ could as well. Now, with that said, something would obviously have to improve recruiting about 15% above where we have been recently, especially on the front 7 D.

I appreciate the vision for success even if I disagree with it.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
He didn’t struggle for 4 years. He struggled in 15 and 17 had a pretty damn good 16 and not so bad 18.

We haven’t been ranked since the second week of 2015. Our longest such streak since 86-89. We were in one of our worst stretches football in 3 decades.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I don't see the recruiting thing happening. Somebody said in another reply our recruiting is getting better. Well, not according to class rankings. It's about the same.

I asked the question because the Ross season in 90 was an outlier in a lot of the same ways 2014 was. A lot of stars aligned. A guy like Deandre Smelter fell in our lap because of baseball injuries. We sort of fell into Butker. Same with Shaq Mason. We've tried to imitate that since then. Went after the Bulovas kid hammer and tongs and had Bama swipe him. We've changed our OL recruiting in some interesting ways to try to find our next Mason, and I think it was finally paying off some this year with a better OL. But then we wound up limited at QB and WR and a key injury at BB. You are asking for a whole lotta fortunate circumstances to converge. And even then so, I don't think you line up against Bama or Ohio St or UGAg or whoever when they're strong and beat them with the option.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
We have not been ranked since the 2nd week of 2015. This is the longest such stretch since 86-89. People acting like Johnson dramatically overachieved here just don’t understand our history.
.. nor our trend the last 4 years. And then call those who do "CPJ haters". It is ridiculous.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, I do. Straight dope.

Offense has not been our problem. If Monken can put together a decent defense, and maintain our level of productivity on offense, then yeah, we could win it all.

Something tells me our offense would even get a little better under Monken. He just comes across as more open to changing something if it doesn't work. CPJ is a great coach, but his stubbornness was one of our major issues IMO. I just don't get that vibe from Monken.

slugboy

Staff member
We have not been ranked since the 2nd week of 2015. This is the longest such stretch since 86-89. People acting like Johnson dramatically overachieved here just don’t understand our history.

True, but the last time before CPJ that we were ranked at the end of a season was under O'Leary. He at least brought us back to being ranked when it counts. The last few years have been hard for fans (and probably players, too).

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
True, but the last time before CPJ that we were ranked at the end of a season was under O'Leary. He at least brought us back to being ranked when it counts. The last few years have been hard for fans (and probably players, too).
This! Who cares what we were ranked during the season. It's the end poll that counts. Being ranked during season is like saying we were leading a game in second quarter but lost.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Is anybody else hearing that Collins has been offered? I don’t want to be Brian Finneran but I’m hearing from a family member (former player) that he’s been offered.

Well, if he has been offered, that would mean that Todd's statement about interviewing 5 or 6 candidates is probably not correct. I don't see why he would say that, if it was not true, and if they were lined up, not sure I would see Todd calling them and saying "never mind", but I guess it is possible.

Deleted member 2897

It's like with a lot of things in my opinion, recruiting included. We're already the redheaded stepchild in a dozen ways. Running the option exacerbates that.

Lets all cross our fingers these changes improve that. Honestly if we just had 4-5 guys a cycle who were 4-stars it would make all the difference in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.