Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
In the past two seasons 2016/2017 no school has had a Top 20 recruiting class with a football budget under $23 million. Tech is at $17.38 million. Of the 13 schools that had top 20 classes both of the past two season, only Stanford had a budget under $29 million, and the average budget was $36 million... more than double Tech's football spending.

Only Stanford and Maryland have had a top 20 (19th and 17th) in the past two seasons with average home attendance below 55,000. Tech was 43,087 this season. (And Maryland's 2017 class was an outlier, their previous 5-year average rank was 45th).

That's not to be pessimistic or fatalistic. I believe Tech can, eventually, get into the top 20-25 in recruiting. But I don't think it's realistic to expect a different coach can do that with the current paradigm. To improve recruiting dramatically, the new coach is going to need resources we haven't been providing.
I think more people will be willing to donate if they don’t feel the program is being complacent. Some probably feel that no matter how much is spent in recruiting the offense restricts how well we can recruit.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think more people will be willing to donate if they don’t feel the program is being complacent. Some probably feel that no matter how much is spent in recruiting the offense restricts how well we can recruit.

AND, Some probably feel that no matter how much is spent in recruiting the Institute (Hill and environment) restricts how well we can recruit.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Do you think we could win a National Championship with the option offense and Jeff Monken? Honest opinion.
I think we could. In fact, I think he is best positioned (out of the candidates who have been realistically identified who might also come here) to get it done. I buy in to the logic of being the BEST at a specific thing. I think we have a chance to recruit as THE place for athletic guys who want to play Offense but get pidgeonholed into DBacks because of size. I think we could also (by opening up some more passing plays which we seem to finally have the personnel to do) be recruiting the QBs from High School who are just below the top guys and are told they would have to switch positions to play in a prostyle offense.

At the end of the day I do not think we will win a Natty by following the model of a UGA, Clemson, Alabama, etc. I think we need to DEFINE The market we want to live in. No one thought Netflix was real until Blockbuster fell, same with Uber or Amazon. Let's inject some cash into the program, increase our recruiting spend, dial up the use of technology for coaching and training and be THE TRIPLE OPTION team that EVERYONE fears.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
This! Who cares what we were ranked during the season. It's the end poll that counts. Being ranked during season is like saying we were leading a game in second quarter but lost.
Yeah, but if we want to compete with a Georgia for the elusive preseason Natty, we gotta get better in the recruiting rankings...

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Alabama ran the wishbone exclusively from 1970-1982. I don't recall ever hearing that it hurt their recruiting.

You and I basically agree on everything, and I love your business analogies - they are extremely apropos. BUT, I have to say that the factories would suffer today in recruiting, in my opinion, if they tried to run our offense. But, if they only fell from top 5 to say top 20, they would probably still be in the running for the Natty much of the time.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but if we want to compete with a Georgia for the elusive preseason Natty, we gotta get better in the recruiting rankings...

You'd better tell TStan. He has already stated that Tech will NOT win the recruiting war and "out-Clemson Clemson". No, we may not be able to recruit 5 stars, but we can find 2-stars and develop them into 5 stars.

That is what TStan has said and that is why he is raising $125M. Georgia Tech will win doing Georgia Tech things.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You and I basically agree on everything, and I love your business analogies - they are extremely apropos. BUT, I have to say that the factories would suffer today in recruiting, in my opinion, if they tried to run our offense. But, if they only fell from top 5 to say top 20, they would probably still be in the running for the Natty much of the time.

I am clearly being facecious. I can't find anyone who has provided any evidence of the relationship between recruiting and the type of offense a school runs. Yes, there is anecdotal evidence. But other than doing a post mortem on every SA that passes, I find the whole argument vapid.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
You'd better tell TStan. He has already stated that Tech will NOT win the recruiting war and "out-Clemson Clemson". No, we may not be able to recruit 5 stars, but we can find 2-stars and develop them into 5 stars.

That is what TStan has said and that is why he is raising $125M. Georgia Tech will win doing Georgia Tech things.
That would seem to be indicative of the KW or Monken route. Did TStan actually say we'll recruit 2 stars and develop them into 5 stars or is that your addition?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Do you think we could win a National Championship with the option offense and Jeff Monken? Honest opinion.

In 2014, we were notably better than 2018 at QB and WR only.

In 2019, if we ran the flexbone, we'd have:

QB: TO/JG/LJ/JY (you have to believe in one of these guys... they each have elite skills. Just have to settle on one and see if they pan out)
BB: KB, JH, JM
AB: NC
AB: OJ, XG, JM(?)
WR: JC
WR: MC
Plus most of the 2-deep at OL back.

We'd also have a second-year D under CNW, and we have what appears to be an elite K and KR.

If we had Monken running his version of the flex, there's no reason to think we couldn't have a chance to win every ACC game and then you're one win vs. CLEM or UGAg from getting into the CFP (obviously have to have a rematch vs. CLEM)

It's not unfeasible. In fact, it's much more feasible than getting back in the CFP discussion by tearing it down and starting over.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
My statement was in regards to posts about in-season ranking not recruiting rankings. Hopefully 2 other posts will quote below.

We haven’t been ranked since the second week of 2015. Our longest such streak since 86-89. We were in one of our worst stretches football in 3 decades.

True, but the last time before CPJ that we were ranked at the end of a season was under O'Leary. He at least brought us back to being ranked when it counts. The last few years have been hard for fans (and probably players, too).

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I think if Alabama ran the wishbone, TO, single wing or veer today, they would still win. They could probably pull off doing the old GT play where the quarterback takes the snap while facing backwards from the center.

TVan

Georgia Tech Fan

QB: TO/JG/LJ/JY (you have to believe in one of these guys... they each have elite skills. Just have to settle on one and see if they pan out)

We'd also have a second-year D under CNW, and we have what appears to be an elite K and KR.

If we had Monken running his version of the flex, there's no reason to think we couldn't have a chance to win every ACC game and then you're one win vs. CLEM or UGAg from getting into the CFP (obviously have to have a rematch vs. CLEM)

It's not unfeasible. In fact, it's much more feasible than getting back in the CFP discussion by tearing it down and starting over.
Monken will bring his own dc. He is one of the best around. Look at their defensive rankings. He his able to do a lot because of the kids. GT kids are smart too. Monken is the guy!

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, no. At AB, totally unproven other than Cottrell. Don't underestimate AB blocking in this offense. That was a major part of 2014. QB, you mentioned. B-B, how does Benson return? WR, lose Brad, Camp can block, others are ? OL is the only thing looking strong, but let's pretend Monken can keep the option rolling.

On defense, you lose the only real standout in Saint Amour on top of Branch and Henderson. Now, I think Owens and the big guy have potential, but where's the depth?
LB- better athletes but extremely green. How come they couldn't beat out the guys this year if that's an upgrade.
DBs- looks like some potential there, but like LB, if they were better, how come a transfer from Wofford beat them out and led us in tackles?
Monken may want his own guy, and scrap Woody too.

We're probably the same next year, unless schedule favors us better. 6-8 wins.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I think if Alabama ran the wishbone, TO, single wing or veer today, they would still win. They could probably pull off doing the old GT play where the quarterback takes the snap while facing backwards from the center.
That’s basically what Hurts ran when he was in there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.