Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Geoff Collins was offered - a 5 year deal worth $14m that escalates over time. He verbally accepted it on the spot, but wanted some time to talk it over with his wife Jennifer to make sure they were on the same page. There should be an announcement by this weekend.

How's that for a dream I had last night? Crazy when you think about this stuff in your sleep.
Simpsons-Flip-Off-Funny-Gif.gif

Deleted member 2897

We have not been ranked since the 2nd week of 2015. This is the longest such stretch since 86-89. People acting like Johnson dramatically overachieved here just don’t understand our history.

People acting as if we're not the most disrespected overlooked team in the country just don't understand reality.

In CPJs 11 years, we got our 11 Bye Weeks. We had 22 against us. TWENTY-TWO! Our win percentage is twice as high when we get a bye week before playing a team as the other way around. That type of scheduling costs us almost 1.0 win per year.

We have a ton more noon games (which affects ticket sales and attendance and wins) and only had 8 or 9 Saturday night games in CPJs entire 11 years...and only lost once. Again costing us revenue and wins.

The difference in scheduling alone costs us over 1.5 wins/per year. If you took his final record and added 1.5 wins and subtracted 1.5 losses in 2016 (for example) you'd have a 10-3 team at least (just swapping 1 result). And in 2016 by the way, we finished 9-4 with 3 losses to ranked teams and a 4th to Pittsburgh via a last second field goal that bounced off the upright. To not be ranked at 9-4 is complete and utter BS anyway. Texas is currently ranked #15 at 8-4. There are 5 other 4-loss teams ranked and Northwestern is ranked #21 at 8-5.

Its also important to keep in mind we spend 1/2 of what places like Clemson and georgia do on football and are almost dead last in the country. The only team we really compete with on spending is Wake Forest, who has 4,500 undergraduates.

Deleted member 2897

Damn you!!!! You had me hook line and sinker! Just fade me fam!!!!

I had a funny thought a couple days ago - Todd calls up Neal Brown from Troy (who runs that NASCAR spread offense), suddenly realizes we don't have enough WRs to even put on the field at the same time in his offense, apologies and hangs up.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
People acting as if we're not the most disrespected overlooked team in the country just don't understand reality.

In CPJs 11 years, we got our 11 Bye Weeks. We had 22 against us. TWENTY-TWO! Our win percentage is twice as high when we get a bye week before playing a team as the other way around. That type of scheduling costs us almost 1.0 win per year.

We have a ton more noon games (which affects ticket sales and attendance and wins) and only had 8 or 9 Saturday night games in CPJs entire 11 years...and only lost once. Again costing us revenue and wins.

The difference in scheduling alone costs us over 1.5 wins/per year. If you took his final record and added 1.5 wins and subtracted 1.5 losses in 2016 (for example) you'd have a 10-3 team at least (just swapping 1 result). And in 2016 by the way, we finished 9-4 with 3 losses to ranked teams and a 4th to Pittsburgh via a last second field goal that bounced off the upright. To not be ranked at 9-4 is complete and utter BS anyway.
And fair or not, that harmful perception is partially because of the offense we run. It's not exciting or interesting to the non-Tech fan. If that is effecting the program negatively, that's part of what comes with the territory of doing things that way. Perception effects reality whether you like it or it's fair or not. Athletics is the entertainment business.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
Let me get this straight. The BOR, which is heavily dominated by UGA grads, dictates that we must keep a calculus course in all our majors, even though it is an irrevalent requirement in some majors? If this is true, how do they defend their position?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
"A calculus course is required in Area A2 for all engineering majors and for all programs at Georgia Institute of Technology. While students may fulfill this requirement with a math course higher than a first course in calculus, institutions may not require them to do so."
https://www.usg.edu/academic_affairs_handbook/section2/C738/

Deleted member 2897

And fair or not, that harmful perception is partially because of the offense we run. It's not exciting or interesting to the non-Tech fan. If that is effecting the program negatively, that's part of what comes with the territory of doing things that way. Perception effects reality whether you like it or it's fair or not. Athletics is the entertainment business.

Of course its not fair to consistently over a decade give unfair scheduling situations to a particular team.

#THWacc

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
And fair or not, that harmful perception is partially because of the offense we run. It's not exciting or interesting to the non-Tech fan. If that is effecting the program negatively, that's part of what comes with the territory of doing things that way. Perception effects reality whether you like it or it's fair or not.

I guess, if you mean the "casual" football fan, you are probably correct to some degree. But, I cannot count the number of talking heads, like Kirk Herbstreit and others, who over the years, said they love watching the option attack that GT runs. If I heard that from one of them, I heard it from at least 15 of them over the last 10 years or so. And, where I work, in Decatur, AL, I have several AL and AllBarn football fans that come up to me and say they love watching our offense - that it is not the "same ole, same ole".

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
It’s not even T Stan giving them info. I didn’t think it would be that great to sign up so I tried a couple month thing and now I’ve signed up for a year. I’ll levae it at that, but if you rememebr our GTSwarm co founded then you would like Kelly’s info.

I'll look into it. Thanks.
And I was just joking about TStan feeding them the info. But I do think it's funny all the "scoops" we've been reading for the last week, few if any of which have panned out.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Of course its not fair to consistently over a decade give unfair scheduling situations to a particular team.

#THWacc
I don't agree with it, but some coaches and ADs think what we do is really, really dirty and injures people. Of course, more OL get rolled up pass blocking than anything, but the perception is we're 'dirty', and that taints the perception of people with influence against us. My opinion. Some of the scheduling stuff is UNC and Duke getting Tobacco Road favors too.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
They have less say on that than we do.

It is the HillNerds & peterson that have to first approach the BoR on these matters and they don’t.

These requests initiate at the school, not at the BoR.
That is exactly my point. I admittedly don't know how things work on the BOR level but it just seems the hill sells us out by not confronting them on this indefensible position and then blaming THEM. No wonder why we have become UGA's bitches.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I just laugh because everyone seems to think that we will become overnight sensations by ridding ourselves of the 3o. I hope you are all right and my hesitation is unwarrented ... But 100+ years of history says otherwise. Unless the new coach can continue to level the $$ playing field. I am hopeful Collins can do some positive thinks, but I'm not betting on winning 10+ each year.

I'm sure "everyone" doesn't think that, though a few may. Many on here have said they are willing to take a couple of down years in transition, and that certainly doesn't sound like an overnight sensation.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
How them cherries taste? It’s a good thing GT didn’t fire bobby Ross after only winning five games in his first two seasons. I’m not sure what his record was at Tech but it couldn’t have been much better than 500.

You wanted to fire a coach after 2 seasons?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
How them cherries taste? It’s a good thing GT didn’t fire bobby Ross after only winning five games in his first two seasons. I’m not sure what his record was at Tech but it couldn’t have been much better than 500.
Do you think we could win a National Championship with the option offense and Jeff Monken? Honest opinion.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

This quote from that article is the most concerning: (losing to your cross town rival, an FCS school, is probably unforgivable to some degree)

"His offensive coordinator is probably the worst fit for Temple in the history of assistant coaches. Playing a tight game against Villanova one year and losing to them the next is a Cardinal sin that should never be forgiven by any Temple fan, administrator or student. That loss rests right at the feet of his OC."

Status
Not open for further replies.