Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
This is stressful.

Well, since it appears Elliot is not even a candidate, just give William Geoff Collins the job so he can sign 25 by Feb bc there is always attrition

If you were to place a value on recruiting and coaching, I’d weight it about 60% recruiting and 40% coaching.

If we are, in fact, going away from a tactical advantage (the option), then I want GT to hire someone who comes with established relationships for recruiting.

Curious what a former player thinks?

slugboy

Staff member
I don't think we are very important in many people's eyes. UNC and Texas Tech's coaching searches weren't very publicized either. If we want publicity, throw out a rumor of Art Briles and ESPN will send everyone not covering Kareem Hunt to Atlanta.

Maybe it’s early, but in our last two searches, we had much more public interviews. News covered every coach that came in for interviews.

This is a much less public process than our previous hires.

There’s no way to tell whether we aren’t seeing the interviewees, or the interviews aren’t happening yet, or something else. My guess is that this is a locked down hiring process, and no one knows anything aside from TStan, the candidates who have been contacted, and others involved in the process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
This is stressful.

Well, since it appears Elliot is not even a candidate, just give William Geoff Collins the job so he can sign 25 by Feb bc there is always attrition

Is he not a candidate or is he waitign till after the playoffs to interview.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it’s early, but in our last two searches, we had much more public interviews. News covered every coach that came in for interviews.

This is a much less public process than our previous hires.

There’s no way to tell whether we aren’t seeing the interviewees, or the interviews aren’t happening yet, or something else. My guess is that this is a locked down hiring process, and no one knows anything aside from TStan, the candidates who have been contacted, and others involved in the process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree and hope this is the case. IMO, the Whisenhunt stuff got out because his agents want to drum up interest around the NFL. Being connected to one coaching search tends to lead to getting looked at for other jobs.

Bravebee10

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe we get a combo deal from our wishlist. Collins as HC and Brent Key as OC. The two have overlapped in their coaching careers at GT, Western Carolina and UCF. Both are known for recruiting prowess. We'd have to find some money for Key (makes $400,000 as OLine coach at Bama) but it seems to be the next step up the coaching ladder for him.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
This is stressful.

No inside information, but I wouldn't be so sure Elliott isn't under consideration. I know he said we he hasn't been contacted, but that doesn't mean his agent hasn't. Also, the CFB Awards are tomorrow night in Atlanta - I can almost guarantee Elliott will be there. Would be a great time for he and TS to connect.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If you were to place a value on recruiting and coaching, I’d weight it about 60% recruiting and 40% coaching.

If we are, in fact, going away from a tactical advantage (the option), then I want GT to hire someone who comes with established relationships for recruiting.

If you including evaluating players in recruiting than yes.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I agree that recruiting is more important than coaching. The best tactician can only do so much unless he has the athletes to do it with.

But I'd say recruiting is 90% the school, brand, facilities, recruiting assistants, budget. etc. The coach/recruiter can only do so much. The recruiter makes a difference in getting a particular kid to choose the school vs his other offers. But the school has to be among the kid's choices for that to matter. Tech isn't even on the radar for the top recruits. So, while a good recruiter is a plus, give me a great coach instead.

More important than if a coach can sell 18-year olds, is if the coach can sell the boosters on his program. A million dollars buys a lot of recruiting staff salary. Dabo didn't build his program by getting 5* recruits to start. He got the Clemson community to buy in, the facilities and staff they paid for brought in the recruits. We have to improve our facilities, budget and school before we can compete for the top talent.

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan
If it is KW and he fails, TStan probably won’t be far behind...
If he is just listening to the big money donors and hires KW and it blows up in his face, it will be him and the donors having the stadium all to themselves. I with the state of the fan base, if this doesn't work, we're going to go from 48000 or whatever the attendance was to about half that

Status
Not open for further replies.