Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Actually we do have money. Tstan told Dewberry he would give KW serious consideration and an interview if Dewberry came up with a check. Tstan is now waiting on the check to clear before he offers Collins.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
This is the 125 million that was alotted..
It has been sent (the check)

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll take 10 wins/season the next 2 seasons, if it means we're looking for a new coach December 2020.

Totally agree that it does not guarantee the 2020-forward coach is an upgrade, but our starting point/floor going into that search would presumably be higher than where we are today.
Did you miss the point of my post? You stated that you would take Collins to make a two-year splash, but Collins has taken the Temple program backwards since being hired. Temple's two 10-win seasons were under Matt Rhule, now at Baylor. Collins is 15-10 at Temple since taking over a program that won 10 games in back-to-back years prior to Collins' hiring. That's not exactly a two-year splash.

Deleted member 2897

No answer yet. Smells to me like Ken is thinking "well if they don't want me screw it" and bring on Geoff Collins.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Did you miss the point of my post? You stated that you would take Collins to make a two-year splash, but Collins has taken the Temple program backwards since being hired. Temple's two 10-win seasons were under Matt Rhule, now at Baylor. Collins is 15-10 at Temple since taking over a program that won 10 games in back-to-back years prior to Collins' hiring. That's not exactly a two-year splash.

Fair but teams like temple dont reload. Guys left. Same like gt. Its how u manage your down years....

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If it is Collins, then we get the bonus of an extra bowl game this month, and of all things, Temple against Duke on Dec. 27 Independence Bowl. (I would argue Detroit is better than Shreveport, by the way.) I have looked at some of their videos on YouTube but they are generally highlights of three minutes or so, but he does occasionally throw from an empty backfield, and at least one formation reminds me of Johnson's, with the use of a running back set about where our Aback plays. I have to say if it is Collins he can win my heart instantly by thumping Duke. Sometimes you do get two bites of the apple.

If he gets the offer and accepts...he should not be coaching Temple in their bowl...he needs to be closing out our signing class.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Agree. I’m on the Collins train. I didn’t realize he worked under Saban and worked with him everyday on all aspects of being a head coach from nutrition, to personnel, to recruiting and understanding numbers etc. that’s what it takes to be a HC. I think Collins experienced with that and being a HC this year himself puts him above a coordinator in terms of being ready to be a HC.

Working with Saban hasn’t been much of a pathway to HC success till Kirby. Who inherited 5 top 5 recruiting classes.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So Collins' biggest accomplishment as a head coach is that he managed some "down" years at Temple?

Well he was only HC for two years there, so yeah. But he did a good job, and the Temple folks like him a lot. They've won 8 of their last ten. On their way back up already.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
he's getting paid 2.1 million a year for 3 years by Houston to be offensive coordinator
You about gave me a heart attack Mike. Briles will make 2.1 million in three years, he does not make 2.1 per year.
https://www.chron.com/sports/cougar...ach-Kendal-Briles-signs-new-deal-13440590.php
Beginning in 2019, Briles' base salary jumps from $400,000 to $550,000. Additionally, Briles will receive $150,000 in annual non-salary compensation.
The $700,000 annual salary – which runs through the 2021 season – makes Briles the highest-paid assistant from a non-Power Five school and in the top-40 among all assistants, according to the most recent contracts in the USA Today assistant coaching salary database.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The negative recruiting he did talking down Tech. Shows a lack of character imo and if the program embraces him now for that...I will lose interest in what the program has always stood for.
I get this, but do we have on record what was actually said? Was it actually that bad, or did people have thin skin? Down talking another program is pretty common and part of the job. For instance, if he made comments to recruits that we don’t put much into our program, then I’m fine, because it’s the truth and his job to keep a recruit from coming to GT so he could land them.

Status
Not open for further replies.