Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So Collins' biggest accomplishment as a head coach is that he managed some "down" years at Temple?
Rememebr, most guys taking over a program have “down years” they are changing the program to their view and implementing new things into the program. He also has accomplished a lot as a coordinator at two different SEC programs.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Kendall Briles. That was the difference.
Not really true. Their offense was still top 30 this year. The defense was garbage. Offense went from top 10 to 30ish. Defense went from top 30 to 90 or so. Also lost their starting QB, most teams take a step back when that happens.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Who is that?
An option would have been Scott Satterfield until Stansbury got schooled by U of L.

Off the top of my head, other candidates would include: Neal Brown, Jeff Monken, and Bryan Harsin (personal favorite that no one at Tech seems to know). Harsin makes $1.5m at Boise and has had 9 or more wins every year for the last 6 years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not really true. Their offense was still top 30 this year. The defense was garbage. Offense went from top 10 to 30ish. Defense went from top 30 to 90 or so. Also lost their starting QB, most teams take a step back when that happens.

Very true.

FAU went from the #7 OFEI team in the nation in 2017 ( https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff2017) , to the #58 OFEI team in 2018 ( https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff ). That's a precipitous fall.

For those that wanted Kiffen for his offensive genius, well, he doesn't have "Bama's talent level, and when he ran the show without an offensive whiz, it wasn't very good.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
An option would have been Scott Satterfield until Stansbury got schooled by U of L.

Off the top of my head, other candidates would include: Neal Brown, Jeff Monken, and Bryan Harsin (personal favorite that no one at Tech seems to know). Harsin makes $1.5m at Boise and has had 9 or more wins every year for the last 6 years.
Harsin took over a program that has maintained a level of success over a 10-15 year period. He also most likely couldn't recruit the south very well with him being on the other side of the country. Otherwise I like the names you list.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
A two-year splash is not always positive. Case in point, Temple won 10 games in 2015 and 2016 then hired Collins, who promptly went 7-6 and 8-4 with an upcoming bowl game against Duke in Shreveport.
This year's 8-4 team is arguably better than the 10-4 teams under Rhule. Like I said in another post that has gotten lost in these 170 pages, win/loss record doesn't tell the whole story. They're very, very stout on defense and turned around their offense (and season) after a couple bad losses to start. I mean, statistically, this is one of the best teams they've ever had. The 8-4 record is worse than it seems.

To be frank, there are not really a lot better coaches available that fit your desire for experience. The only possibly better option I could see is Malzahn is he is fired (rumors still out there). But even then Malzahn carries a fair amount of baggage.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
A candidate with more experience and success as a head coach.
You act like Temple tanked or something. He had the same conference record as Ruhle this year (7-1) losing barely to an undefeated UCF. After a rough start, Temple's had a good season in a fairly competitive AAC. Oh, they finished 7-1 in the same conference USF, who beat us, finished 3-5. And the season isn't over yet. Can't get to 10 wins, but they can get to 9. They beat Cincinnati and Houston, who were both ranked at times this year. Oh, and beat USF.

Last edited:

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Very true.

FAU went from the #7 OFEI team in the nation in 2017 ( https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff2017) , to the #58 OFEI team in 2018 ( https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff ). That's a precipitous fall.

For those that wanted Kiffen for his offensive genius, well, he doesn't have "Bama's talent level, and when he ran the show without an offensive whiz, it wasn't very good.
Hmm that is a bad fall. I thought I saw where they stayed pretty high up on the offensive side of the ball. Must have been looking at one of the other 40 Florida schools. Probably need another year down below 30-40 to say it was for sure Briles, but that is a big drop.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
This year's 8-4 team is arguably better than the 10-4 teams under Rhule. Like I said in another post that has gotten lost in these 170 pages, win/loss record doesn't tell the whole story. They're very, very stout on defense and turned around their offense (and season) after a couple bad losses to start. I mean, statistically, this is one of the best teams they've ever had. The 8-4 record is worse than it seems.

To be frank, there are not really a lot better coaches available that fit your desire for experience. The only possibly better option I could see is Malzahn is he is fired (rumors still out there). But even then Malzahn carries a fair amount of baggage.
Gus Malzahn's sticker price would be more than GT could afford;)

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I would be happy have Neal Brown. I like Monken, but I think the offense has too much of a negative perception. Harsin can coach, but I dunno if he can recruit the South at the P5 level, which I believe Collins can.

Status
Not open for further replies.