Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Where can I sign up for a 2 year splash now? Don't care if it means a new coach. We'll be in a better spot than today.
A two-year splash is not always positive. Case in point, Temple won 10 games in 2015 and 2016 then hired Collins, who promptly went 7-6 and 8-4 with an upcoming bowl game against Duke in Shreveport.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
A two-year splash is not always positive. Case in point, Temple won 10 games in 2015 and 2016 then hired Collins, who promptly went 7-6 and 8-4 with an upcoming bowl game against Duke in Shreveport.

Not quite fair unless we look at who they may have lost in between. I have read that Temple is poised to be a favorite to win the conference next year and their fans definitely don't want Collins to go, from what I have seen. They hung with UCF pretty well this year.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not quite fair unless we look at who they may have lost in between. I have read that Temple is poised to be a favorite to win the conference next year and their fans definitely don't want Collins to go, from what I have seen. They hung with UCF pretty well this year.
They should have won the game. They got hosed by the aac officials several times in that game. I would love Collins at GT

Deleted member 2897

Those SEC Network announcers sure seemed to know something was up. They wouldn’t shut up about CPJ retiring during the Georgia game. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't talking about after he had made his final decision a few days before it was public.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I guess I must be different than other people if I went on an interview for a job and if I was offered the job I would know then if I wanted the job one way or the other.
If I had to think about it would tell me I didn't really would it.

GT_EE78

Banned
Hopefully the cheese whiz rumors are over and he gets a raise or packer job. cheese whiz is the stuff they melt over nachos at movie theaters. it becomes toxic in less than 48 hours and the only thing worse is the stale obsolete popcorn option which couldn't pass a lick even with 300 lbs of fake butter and a defense lieing on the ground on their aching bellies. I'm still pipe-dreaming of a malzen-like surprise but i think the previous ath dept only left maps that lead to the bargain basement. So if that's where u gotta shop then beware the potential tigger defects- they dont work as well away from home turf. hooking up with the Collins family may work out fine. Geoff has a rising record and may benefit the program. Cousins John and Tom can help get us through that first game or few years. time to get this over with.

Deleted member 2897

I guess I must be different than other people if I went on an interview for a job and if I was offered the job I would know then if I wanted the job one way or the other.
If I had to think about it would tell me I didn't really would it.

And if part of his hesitance is the AJC and social media negative reaction and that bothers him or causes him pause, this isn't the place for him.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck

Case in point: Lane Kiffin 2017 and Lane Kiffin 2018. What a difference a year makes.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Actually we do have money. Tstan told Dewberry he would give KW serious consideration and an interview if Dewberry came up with a check. Tstan is now waiting on the check to clear before he offers Collins.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

That's interesting if true. May even be an "I'm interviewing you and making you a real offer but don't want you to take it. You can use it as leverage for your next job and help Tech out by turning it down at the same time" situation. If we end up with Collins (for example) in the end, I don't think this drama would stick as a source point against TStan in the future.

Of course, Collins has to be a success and choose to stay here for things to work out. He's a good fit, and it seems to want to be here, but he has worked his way up the chain for better jobs after short stints quite often. An incentive-based big buyout type contact might be the best deal. That way if he does succeed here he'll get paid plenty, and we'll be in better financial shape for the next hire if he moves on. If he doesn't do well, he'll have good job security for the length of his contract, but we won't be paying him big bucks to fail.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
For anyone interested, take a look at the AJC this morning, two articles pertaining to our coach search.
1) Derrick Morgan and three other players chime-in on Whiz from his stint as HC for the Titans ...
2) Mark Bradley has an article ...

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
You can always have a 1 and a half year toilet flush of 2-14 and 1-6 after a 7-9.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If it is Collins, then we get the bonus of an extra bowl game this month, and of all things, Temple against Duke on Dec. 27 Independence Bowl. (I would argue Detroit is better than Shreveport, by the way.) I have looked at some of their videos on YouTube but they are generally highlights of three minutes or so, but he does occasionally throw from an empty backfield, and at least one formation reminds me of Johnson's, with the use of a running back set about where our Aback plays. I have to say if it is Collins he can win my heart instantly by thumping Duke. Sometimes you do get two bites of the apple.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Elliot doesn't have experience because he has risen through the ranks so fast. He's risen through the ranks so fast because he's excelled at every level. It has more to do with his character than experience, his resourcefulness and having faith in himself by taking the hard road. He could have chosen an easy major, but he chose i.e. and graduated with the highest gpa on his team. He had enough faith in himself as a football player to walk on, earn a scholarship, and become a team captain. This spells leadership. I don't have anything against Collins - I think he, too would be an excellent choice. But Elliott has success written all over him, and someone who believes in himself and has proven himself to this extent makes me believe in him, too. Mark my words, Elliott will be a very successful head coach some day soon. I think the odds of that happening are extremely high.
I think Elliot has the highest ceiling of all the candidates, but a fairly low floor if it turns out he simply isn't ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.