Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Collins makes way more sense than Whisenhunt.
The OC for Temple is interesting I wonder if he’d come with Collins. I’m hoping for Goose at OC.
But Goose has coached in the NFL since 2012 would he want to leave the NFL? Has he expressed any interest in coming back to coach in college ?

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I'm still pro-Whiz, but I'm mellowing a little bit on it.
The reason is because I'm not sure how important, in the short-term "Energizing the Fan Base" is ?
I know it's part of the equation for us and think it would come with success, but not sure how to rank it among the other factors in terms of a priority.
As a negative for Whiz, I'm wondering if it's a deal killer ???

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
A two-year splash is not always positive. Case in point, Temple won 10 games in 2015 and 2016 then hired Collins, who promptly went 7-6 and 8-4 with an upcoming bowl game against Duke in Shreveport.
I'll take 10 wins/season the next 2 seasons, if it means we're looking for a new coach December 2020.

Totally agree that it does not guarantee the 2020-forward coach is an upgrade, but our starting point/floor going into that search would presumably be higher than where we are today.

slugboy

Staff member
Audentis Fortuna iuvat - Fortune favors the bold

I think it’s more
“Audaces Fortuna respondet apertissme”
(Fortune gives clear answers to the bold)
Kind of, you’ll get 10-2 or 2-10, but you’ll know what you got

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

We should start a poll - 168 pages already. How many more pages until we see an announcement of our next coach? LOL

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
(I would argue Detroit is better than Shreveport, by the way.)

I would argue that topic with the same passion and fervor that I would the Big Mac or Whopper debate or the equally heated boxers vs. briefs discussion.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
This has got to be one of the quietest coaching searches. Media is barely covering it and outside of the Whisenhunt rumors and Collins speculation, we really don't have anything.
I mean, Stansbury's email said there is lots of interest and there are multiple interviews happening, and we have no idea who.

Makes you wonder if someone could be announced that was never even rumored to be connected to us.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This has got to be one of the quietest coaching searches. Media is barely covering it and outside of the Whisenhunt rumors and Collins speculation, we really don't have anything.
I mean, Stansbury's email said there is lots of interest and there are multiple interviews happening, and we have no idea who.

Makes you wonder if someone could be announced that was never even rumored to be connected to us.
I don't think we are very important in many people's eyes. UNC and Texas Tech's coaching searches weren't very publicized either. If we want publicity, throw out a rumor of Art Briles and ESPN will send everyone not covering Kareem Hunt to Atlanta.

Deleted member 2897

My point was you saying CPJ only told his family is not correct He didn't even limit it to TStan outside his family. It's been floating around outside GT circles for some time.

Yep, we were talking about 2 different things, that's why we had the disconnect.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess I’d take Collins over Wiz, but honestly neither of them seem like a great hire to me. Maybe if they make some great assistant hires I’d be a little less pessimistic, but assistants come and go; especially good ones. I’d rather have the guy we just lost, but if GT isn’t going to support the football program it doesn’t matter much. We won’t have any significant increase in fan support without an increase in WINS, and neither will happen if the Institute doesn’t step up. I’ve been a season ticket holder each of the 16 years since I graduated and I’ve actually been in my seats for all but 1 game, the day my son was born. I’ve travelled to see the team play all over the ACC and all the way to Dublin. But if we make a weak hire, I might take a break from supporting a program that will not succeed without the Institute’s support. I’ll always be a huge fan and go to games, but it gets old being more invested in GT football than GT. Oh well, football will be illegal soon anyway. I guess it’s time to start following soccer.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree. I’m on the Collins train. I didn’t realize he worked under Saban and worked with him everyday on all aspects of being a head coach from nutrition, to personnel, to recruiting and understanding numbers etc. that’s what it takes to be a HC. I think Collins experienced with that and being a HC this year himself puts him above a coordinator in terms of being ready to be a HC.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
There isn’t a hiring manager (or car/home sales person) on earth who hasn’t said something like this even if it wasn’t true. I certainly have lol

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
IF TStan really met with KW and offered him the job and KW said he would have to think it over, TStan should had CPJ walk into the room, look him in the eye, and say “Don’t get on that plane, Ken.”

Status
Not open for further replies.