Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT_EE78

Banned
Here's the rest of it ----

QUICK LANE BOWL

Let me start by saying that we are very happy to be going to the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit. While I understand that the date and distance from Atlanta are not ideal for many fans, there are a lot great benefits to being selected to participate in this bowl game:

• matchups play a big part in the national branding of a bowl and its participating teams, and the Quick Lane Bowl is the ACC’s only non-Tier One bowl game this year that features a Power 5 conference opponent in Minnesota from the Big Ten;
  • it is played in a state-of-the-art NFL venue – Ford Field, the home of the Detroit Lions – and is guaranteed to have great weather on gameday (72 degrees and clear indoors!). Additionally, Ford Field is where our very own Calvin Johnson – who is being inducted to the College Football Hall of Fame tonight – became an NFL legend as a member of the Lions;
  • the Quick Lane Bowl and the city of Detroit have an outstanding reputation for providing student-athletes and visiting fans with an incredible experience. We have heard nothing but good things about the experience from other schools that have participated in the Quick Lane Bowl;
  • for those who can’t attend, a prime early-evening TV slot will allow us to showcase the Institute, our football program, our student-athletes and Coach Johnson’s career to the nation.
I know that there are a lot of questions as to how we wound up being selected to participate in the Quick Lane Bowl, based on our second-place finish in the ACC Coastal Division standings and the ACC’s publicized selection process.

First, let me assure you that our staff did everything that we could to campaign for the best bowl destination possible for our student-athletes, coaches and fans. We were in constant communication with the ACC and the respective bowl committees, and we stated our case for why we felt that one of the league’s “Tier One” bowls should select Georgia Tech.

Of the ACC’s five Tier One bowls (Camping World, Gator, Sun, Belk and Pinstripe), three were spoken for by rule – Syracuse and NC State (both 9-3) were guaranteed spots in Tier One bowls, as was ACC Coastal champion Pitt. That left five seven-win teams (Georgia Tech, Virginia, Miami, Duke and Boston College) vying for the remaining two spots. Based on our 2-1 record against the other seven-win teams in the mix and our solo second-place finish in the ACC Coastal, we felt that we should have received one of those two bids and we made that known to the league office and bowl reps. However, at the end of the day, the Pinstripe Bowl chose Miami and the Belk Bowl chose Virginia.

All of that being said, I’d like to reiterate that we’re very much looking forward to our trip to Detroit and the Quick Lane Bowl. We think it will be a great experience for our student-athletes and fans that are able to attend, and it should be a great game against a Big Ten opponent. For more information – including tickets and travel packages – click HERE to visit our Bowl Central page.

In closing, I’d like to also recognize women’s basketball head coach MaChelle Joseph, who notched her 300th win as a head coach when her team defeated Georgia State on Sunday. Congratulations to Coach Joseph, not only on her terrific career but a great start to the season for her Yellow Jackets, who are 6-2, including a win over nationally ranked Georgia.

As always, thank you for your support and happy holidays!

Together We Swarm,

I hate when politicians keep saying an overused phrase like "at the end of the day" . All one needs to remember is at the end of the day it got dark.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm not the AD but I'm going to talk to this coach It would help with recruiting

th

I'll let you know how it goes.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I agree with some on here asking where all the hype for Collins is coming from, cause I don’t get it. Yes 7 and 8 wins Temple is really good, but what about the guy he replaced at temple? Oh he just went back to back 10 win seasons and 7-1 in their conference while Collins 7-6 overall and 4-4 in conf. In 17 and this year he is 8-4 and 7-1. Again good numbers at Temple but how much is them him and how much is that the previous coach getting the train on the right track. I think i’m A pass on him
He had to replace the best starting QB and RB duo in school history last year. This year, they started out slow, but I believe they made a QB change and got hot. I realize he has his faults, but every single candidate has them. Collins is my #1 with Neal Brown being #1A. I believe either one of them will succeed here.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He had to replace the best starting QB and RB duo in school history last year. This year, they started out slow, but I believe they made a QB change and got hot. I realize he has his faults, but every single candidate has them. Collins is my #1 with Neal Brown being #1A. I believe either one of them will succeed here.

I lean towards Elliott, but I think Collins has a lot to offer and would be a very good choice. He has a really good resume as a DC at Miss. St. and Florida, and by all accounts was a really good recruiter here (was a big part of the 2007 class, I believe). He's won 8 of his last 10 at Temple, and they'll go bowling again for the second straight year under Collins and only the eighth time in school history. Pretty good for an HC in just his first two years. Darn solid if you ask me. And by all accounts is champing at the bit for the job.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I think Collins could do well here, he’s a good young defensive minded coach and has shown to be a good recruiter and promoter. Give a guy like that an innovative OC (I’m really liking DeBesse the more I look into him, and think he’d do very well with the talent on our roster) and you can really get things moving in the right direction with very little rebuilding time.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think Collins could do well here, he’s a good young defensive minded coach and has shown to be a good recruiter and promoter. Give a guy like that an innovative OC (I’m really liking DeBesse the more I look into him, and think he’d do very well with the talent on our roster) and you can really get things moving in the right direction with very little rebuilding time.

He's done positive things just about everywhere he's been. Took FIU from 119th to 58th in overall defense in his one year there as DC. The biggest downside is that he's moved around like an Army brat. But this would be his first gig as a P5 HC, so maybe he'd stick around awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.