Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgiatech22

Georgia Tech Fan
Another interesting head coach would be Bob Serace the head football coach of Princeton who was 10-0 and in the Top 10 in the FCS and his overall career record is 48-42. He's one head coach who can win in a school with extremely tough academics.
If we're going to go that route, this is the guy we need to go after. Tim Murphy at Harvard. 203 career wins, 9 conference championships, and D1 coaching experience at Cincinnati before going to Harvard.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If there's one thing I learned at GT, it's that engineers have terrible spelling and grammar so he would probably fit in pretty well
I will pass that on to my Tech grad friend. Only one in my school smart enough to go there and first time I saw him on break a year later he had a twitch in his left eye that scared the bejesus out of me. He got over none the worse for wear and remains my oldest best friend because he is the only one I have who can do numbers.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If there's one thing I learned at GT, it's that engineers have terrible spelling and grammar so he would probably fit in pretty well

Let me correct your statement a bit - USUALLY, only stereotypical, very technical engineers have terrible spelling and grammar, in my experience. My spelling, writing, and grammar skills have always been top notch, but I am far from a technical guru, although I do have an EE degree from GT. Thank the Lord for all of the classes like English Comp, Literature, Psychology, Technical Writing, etc., that helped keep my GPA over the Mendoza line.

Last edited:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand you people KW is considered one of if not the best offensive minds in football and some w you people want to hire these coaches that the best they will be is a 6&6 coach if they are lucky. K W may fail at GT but he has a lot more experience than these people you all are coming up with he’ll why not just go hire farmer Fred .

I don’t understand........yes we know

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand you people KW is considered one of if not the best offensive minds in football and some w you people want to hire these coaches that the best they will be is a 6&6 coach if they are lucky. K W may fail at GT but he has a lot more experience than these people you all are coming up with he’ll why not just go hire farmer Fred .

It's because Farmer Fred doesn't like recruiting, and there's no way he can identify with recruits raised in the city...

...oh wait, you were being sarcastic, huh?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It’s crazy to me people are bashing a guy that the freaking Green Bay Packers are interested in. Ask Derek Morgan what he thinks.

Different jobs, different skillsets needed.

Shiiii, some NFL team wanted Gailey to head their team back in the day. What bearing did that have on his success(sic) at the college level?

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Where are you getting these opinions? One of the best offensive minds in football? Even if I limit it to the NFL, that’s not really true. You do realize we’re not talking about hiring Andy Reid, right? Or did you get the LA teams confused? I would agree that McVay is one of the best offensive minds in football. But Ken Whisenhunt? Nah.

He’s a decent NFL offensive coordinator. No more, no less. He’s shown no ability to get his offenses to be more than the sum of their parts as others have, but he hasn’t really squandered talent either. He’s good at his job. That job is not NCAA head coach, much less Georgia Tech head coach (which is essentially college coach on hard mode).

Finding a college coach with plentiful college experience who could succeed at Tech is a difficult task. There’s no guarantee that even a coach like Urban Meyer or Nick Saban would be successful at Tech, and they have a ton of college head coaching success. Expecting a coach who hasn’t coached college since the days of dialup internet and never been more than a position coach in college to succeed at Tech is like expecting to roll a six on a die fifty times in a row.

And aside from what’s best for Tech, I think it would be pretty crummy for Ken to leave the great gig he has now only to predictably fail at Tech and not be able to get said great gig back.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
It’s crazy to me people are bashing a guy that the freaking Green Bay Packers are interested in. Ask Derek Morgan what he thinks.
There is an ajc article, now nothing is really negative, but doesn’t sound like a ringing endorsement. It seems to me he is a really good guy, but not HC material.

Status
Not open for further replies.