Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know what all the excitment is about Collins you were think we were stealing Dabo; People we can do a lot better than this, Collins is not the guy to take the reins; Just not impressed with his resume

Did this get cut off? He didn't say anything about the quicklane bowl?
Here's the rest of it ----

QUICK LANE BOWL

Let me start by saying that we are very happy to be going to the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit. While I understand that the date and distance from Atlanta are not ideal for many fans, there are a lot great benefits to being selected to participate in this bowl game:

• matchups play a big part in the national branding of a bowl and its participating teams, and the Quick Lane Bowl is the ACC’s only non-Tier One bowl game this year that features a Power 5 conference opponent in Minnesota from the Big Ten;
  • it is played in a state-of-the-art NFL venue – Ford Field, the home of the Detroit Lions – and is guaranteed to have great weather on gameday (72 degrees and clear indoors!). Additionally, Ford Field is where our very own Calvin Johnson – who is being inducted to the College Football Hall of Fame tonight – became an NFL legend as a member of the Lions;
  • the Quick Lane Bowl and the city of Detroit have an outstanding reputation for providing student-athletes and visiting fans with an incredible experience. We have heard nothing but good things about the experience from other schools that have participated in the Quick Lane Bowl;
  • for those who can’t attend, a prime early-evening TV slot will allow us to showcase the Institute, our football program, our student-athletes and Coach Johnson’s career to the nation.
I know that there are a lot of questions as to how we wound up being selected to participate in the Quick Lane Bowl, based on our second-place finish in the ACC Coastal Division standings and the ACC’s publicized selection process.

First, let me assure you that our staff did everything that we could to campaign for the best bowl destination possible for our student-athletes, coaches and fans. We were in constant communication with the ACC and the respective bowl committees, and we stated our case for why we felt that one of the league’s “Tier One” bowls should select Georgia Tech.

Of the ACC’s five Tier One bowls (Camping World, Gator, Sun, Belk and Pinstripe), three were spoken for by rule – Syracuse and NC State (both 9-3) were guaranteed spots in Tier One bowls, as was ACC Coastal champion Pitt. That left five seven-win teams (Georgia Tech, Virginia, Miami, Duke and Boston College) vying for the remaining two spots. Based on our 2-1 record against the other seven-win teams in the mix and our solo second-place finish in the ACC Coastal, we felt that we should have received one of those two bids and we made that known to the league office and bowl reps. However, at the end of the day, the Pinstripe Bowl chose Miami and the Belk Bowl chose Virginia.

All of that being said, I’d like to reiterate that we’re very much looking forward to our trip to Detroit and the Quick Lane Bowl. We think it will be a great experience for our student-athletes and fans that are able to attend, and it should be a great game against a Big Ten opponent. For more information – including tickets and travel packages – click HERE to visit our Bowl Central page.

In closing, I’d like to also recognize women’s basketball head coach MaChelle Joseph, who notched her 300th win as a head coach when her team defeated Georgia State on Sunday. Congratulations to Coach Joseph, not only on her terrific career but a great start to the season for her Yellow Jackets, who are 6-2, including a win over nationally ranked Georgia.

As always, thank you for your support and happy holidays!

Together We Swarm,

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
He definitely caught wind of the "OMG No" freakout.
While I think Whinsenhunt wouldn't be the ideal, Im not completely sure he wouln't be able to work it out with the right staff. He would bring NFL pedigree and could sale recruits on being able to take players to the next level with a pro-style approach. It works for Stanford.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what all the excitment is about Collins you were think we were stealing Dabo; People we can do a lot better than this, Collins is not the guy to take the reins; Just not impressed with his resume

I agree with you, in general, Charles. I think we should take a look at a few more possibilities, but we probably do need to decide in the next few days, as we don't want to end up like Tenn last year.

I think there are a few very excited about Collins, but mostly, people are relieved that it is NOT Whisenhunt.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Petrino went back to Loserville.
Mack’s back at UNC. Texas Tech apparently wanted to offer Leach their job, but he publicly announced he wasn’t interested. The Fridge back at The Flats isn’t completely asinine considering college football the last few years. This is the sport that gave us a defensive Hesiman candidate with an imaginary dead girlfriend, after all.
Notre Dame needs to honor Lennay Kekua during one of the home games of the 2019 football season;):):wacky::smuggrin::D

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Collins does bounce around a lot. He also did some dirty pool recruiting against GT. His record at Temple in two years is 15-10 so he's not exactly killing it in Philadelphia. He know the area and GT, so he is a fit. The offense at Temple isn't innovative but it is a spread.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
well. lookie here...who showed up!!!

welcome
Didn't Collins leave Miss St post-regular season, leaving a position coach to try and figure out a defense (unsuccessfully) against the 3-O? That's usually not a good situation for a team to be facing against our offense, and it showed in the bowl game with us running basically the same play over and over with no clue on their end.

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
Ironic that Collins was Mississippi State’s DC in the 2014 Orange Bowl?

“Prior to his time at Florida, Collins was a member of the coaching staff at Mississippi State. Originally hired to serve as the linebackers coach and co-defensive coordinator for the 2011 season, Collins was promoted to the position of defensive coordinator in 2013.

Mississippi State had tremendous success while he was on the coaching staff, most notably the 2014 season, when the Bulldogs when they were ranked #1 in the country for most of the season and finished with a 10-3 record. This 10-win season was the best finish at the school in 15 years, and concluded with a berth in the Orange Bowl.”
He left for FL prior to O Bowl. Our advantage in the game.

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
Like I said Back away from the Ledge , Collins is nothing more than average at best; Were did all of this Collins Hype come from anyway

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Bamas OC is reportedly going to Maryland.
Collins, whiz, or anyone else needs to take a long look at Matt Canada for OC. I doubt he will be retained. I was impressed with his offense at Pitt, and what he was able to get out of their talent.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Didn't Collins leave Miss St post-regular season, leaving a position coach to try and figure out a defense (unsuccessfully) against the 3-O? That's usually not a good situation for a team to be facing against our offense, and it showed in the bowl game with us running basically the same play over and over with no clue on their end.

This is true. Actually, if Collins left after he knew he would face PJ's offense, he may be smarter than I think.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Like I said Back away from the Ledge , Collins is nothing more than average at best; Were did all of this Collins Hype come from anyway
I like Collins because he knows how to sell his program and he is pretty involved in social media. Dude is a good recruiter too and he helped us get one of our best classes ever. He has improved the defense everywhere he has gone as well. The main reason I like him is because of the first point. A lot of people (on here and friends of mine) want us to get a coach that can sell the program to Atlanta. I think that Collins can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.