Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just for reference, CPJ made just over $3million a year. That put him at 41st in the nation. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that GT offers the next HC either the same or close to $4 million. At $4million per year, that would put a coach at 21st for coaching salaries.

As I stated previously, the real number will be how much the assistant and support staff pool is. I think GT's total staff payout is just under $3million (2.9m). I would venture to guess we could match the HC salary of $4 million.

That would put GT in the top 20 of coaching salary pools.

Top 20 in HC and assistant coaching salary pool is pretty darn good.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
Just for reference, CPJ made just over $3million a year. That put him at 41st in the nation. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that GT offers the next HC either the same or close to $4 million. At $4million per year, that would put a coach at 21st for coaching salaries.

As I stated previously, the real number will be how much the assistant and support staff pool is. I think GT's total staff payout is just under $3million (2.9m). I would venture to guess we could match the HC salary of $4 million.

That would put GT in the top 20 of coaching salary pools.

Top 20 in HC and assistant coaching salary pool is pretty darn good.

Whatever. I’ll believe we have the cash for that when I see it. We paid CPJ $3M as head coach AND offensive coordinator. I like Nate Woody, but we got him partly because that’s who we could afford. If we have to start paying an OC separately from the head coach, we’re not going to be anywhere near top 20. I expect it to drop from where it was, simply because we’ll need to pay an extra coordinator. Maybe top 50? If we’re lucky?

I suspect we’re about to find out just how far above our weight class we’ve been punching.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Whatever. I’ll believe we have the cash for that when I see it. We paid CPJ $3M as head coach AND offensive coordinator. I like Nate Woody, but we got him partly because that’s who we could afford. If we have to start paying an OC separately from the head coach, we’re not going to be anywhere near top 20. I expect it to drop from where it was, simply because we’ll need to pay an extra coordinator. Maybe top 50? If we’re lucky?

I suspect we’re about to find out just how far above our weight class we’ve been punching.

Top twenty is TOTAL assistant coaching pool. That includes OC and DC.

For example, South Carolina total assistant coaching pool was $4million. Their DC made $750K, and their OC made $700K. Fans think all these DCs and OCs are making insane money. They're not. Very few make $500K and above. Ted Roof made $800K.

A 4 Million HC and Asst Coach Pool is only a little over $2million ("only" lol) over what our total coaching outlay is now. GT can afford that especially with Hewitt coming off the books and the new ACC deal coming soon.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I'd guess a lot of this comes down to Scott Satterfield's decision. If Satterfield goes to Louisville or opts to stay at Appalachian State (we might find out soon), I think we are going to offer Geoff Collins and I'd expect he'd take the job. Many have mentioned that Collins has been eyeing the GT job for years now and he would be a guy I think would undoubtedly be energetic and excited about working here. It's been mentioned that he was very active in trying to get Temple and Philadelphia more connected, which is a goal a lot of people have for melding GT and Atlanta's culture. In addition to being known as a great recruiter, I also think he'd do a great job at developing our young, talented defensive players and fixing our defensive woes.

Cam's Hot Take: Geoff Collins is hired as head coach and brings in Brent Key as his offensive coordinator.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'd guess a lot of this comes down to Scott Satterfield's decision. If Satterfield goes to Louisville or opts to stay at Appalachian State (we might find out soon), I think we are going to offer Geoff Collins and I'd expect he'd take the job. Many have mentioned that Collins has been eyeing the GT job for years now and he would be a guy I think would undoubtedly be energetic and excited about working here. It's been mentioned that he was very active in trying to get Temple and Philadelphia more connected, which is a goal a lot of people have for melding GT and Atlanta's culture. In addition to being known as a great recruiter, I also think he'd do a great job at developing our young, talented defensive players and fixing our defensive woes.

Cam's Hot Take: Geoff Collins is hired as head coach and brings in Brent Key as his offensive coordinator.

I can see Geoff Collins. Stansbury witnessed first hand Key's work at UCF and from all reports it was NOT pretty. Seriously, it was so bad UCF paid him to leave and not be named next HC even though he was tabbed "coach in waiting". I doubt Key will be at GT anytime soon unless it's on the opposite sideline.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-alabama-nick-saban-0108-story.html

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

My guess would be him bringing Dave P from Temple as his OC. I think highly of Collins, but I dislike his defensive scheme.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I predict Collins at this point, too. Makes a lot of sense.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
My guess would be him bringing Dave P from Temple as his OC. I think highly of Collins, but I dislike his defensive scheme.
What don't you like about his scheme? It seems that he has had a successful defense wherever he has been.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
What don't you like about his scheme? It seems that he has had a successful defense wherever he has been.

Let me clarify. I don’t like his scheme for us. It is a 4-3 read/react style defense with some zone blitz scheme mixed in. It needs the DTs we haven’t been able to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.