Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I'm in the Geoff Collins camp because I feel like he would really sell Tech football to Atlanta like he has for Temple in Philadelphia. His defenses have always been good and he can recruit. I really hope that the next coach is willing to retain CAM (as ST/recruiting coordinator), Wood, and Riase. Those guys are going to be hot commodities and their position groups were the best on the field this year.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I'm in the Geoff Collins camp because I feel like he would really sell Tech football to Atlanta like he has for Temple in Philadelphia. His defenses have always been good and he can recruit. I really hope that the next coach is willing to retain CAM (as ST/recruiting coordinator), Wood, and Riase. Those guys are going to be hot commodities and their position groups were the best on the field this year.
I am not against Collins, but I would just personally like to see a change on the offensive side and not a complete overhaul on both sides of the ball. I think it would be an extremely difficult transition. He is a good coach, and I think he prefers to run a spread scheme on O from what I know about him. It’s hard to make that happen...

All that said, if Satterfield goes to UL, we probably have to scrap it all anyway.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I am not against Collins, but I would just personally like to see a change on the offensive side and not a complete overhaul on both sides of the ball. I think it would be an extremely difficult transition. He is a good coach, and I think he prefers to run a spread scheme on O from what I know about him. It’s hard to make that happen...

All that said, if Satterfield goes to UL, we probably have to scrap it all anyway.

Way easier to transition us to a spread than a pro style offense. But honestly, he could hire any OC and run any scheme he thought would fit here. A defensive minded head coach could be an advantage.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Didn't Geoff Collins do some underhanded things against GT (recruiting wise) when he left to go to Bama?

THWG

Helluva Engineer

I'm with this too. If we hire an offensive minded coach like Elliot or Whiz, then I want us to retain Woody and keep continuity on one side of the ball.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Way easier to transition us to a spread than a pro style offense. But honestly, he could hire any OC and run any scheme he thought would fit here. A defensive minded head coach could be an advantage.
It should be easier to transition to spread because we already are a spread :) It may take a couple cycles to become a shotgun, pass happy spread, but we already have most the skill players needed.

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
If it were not for Venerables Clemson would have lost 2 to 3 games in the last 2 years; Stansbury need to concentrate more on a defensive minded coach It was never an option offensive problem That was just a skapegoat for the poor defense performance the last 5 years Brent Venerbales give him a open check keep the offense

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
Mike Houston has been hired by East Carolina as head football coach. He signed a 5 year contract for 1.3 million a year and it goes up to 1.63 million in year 5.
Figures, Houston would have been great at GT and we could have gotten him at a "bargain" relative to other coaches. He clearly wanted a chance to coach at the FBS level instead of holding out for more $$. I hope GT picks someone with that drive!

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd guess a lot of this comes down to Scott Satterfield's decision. If Satterfield goes to Louisville or opts to stay at Appalachian State (we might find out soon), I think we are going to offer Geoff Collins and I'd expect he'd take the job. Many have mentioned that Collins has been eyeing the GT job for years now and he would be a guy I think would undoubtedly be energetic and excited about working here. It's been mentioned that he was very active in trying to get Temple and Philadelphia more connected, which is a goal a lot of people have for melding GT and Atlanta's culture. In addition to being known as a great recruiter, I also think he'd do a great job at developing our young, talented defensive players and fixing our defensive woes.

Cam's Hot Take: Geoff Collins is hired as head coach and brings in Brent Key as his offensive coordinator.
The more I read about Collins the more I like him. Was the DC at UF during the McElwain years, and that defense was nasty. I think that most of us are so fed up with the TO that we are looking for an offensive minded HC, but we really need to look for defense.
I'm on board with Collins, and maybe we can get Elliot too! Hell what does Clemson need with TWO OC's anyway???? (that last comment was a joke fyi)

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Is a guy like Calvin Johnson even remotely on the table? You look at how Memphis has revived their basketball program with the Penny Hardaway hire. A Calvin Johnson hire would be noisy, in a good way.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
agree. we have speed in our 15 a backs on the roster. We will be undersized on the OL and WR, but spread them out and the speed could kill, set OL in a wide formation, and throw it 5 yards every play. Hell Pats have won multiple super bowls with the 5 yard pass serving as their run game.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
Is a guy like Calvin Johnson even remotely on the table? You look at how Memphis has revived their basketball program with the Penny Hardaway hire. A Calvin Johnson hire would be noisy, in a good way.
That's interesting, but idk that he has expressed any interest in coaching. Plus I think he has made enough oney, and been smart enough with it that he doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to.
IDK that the same could be said about Anferny.

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
I just watched the second half of the Chargers / Steelers game and read through the last several pages of this thread. It was almost if some divine providence took place last night with Whisenhunt being prominently mentioned as a candidate for the GT head coaching job while his offense put on a sterling performance on the big stage. That game was a complete transformation from a certain Steelers win to a stirring comeback by the Chargers. It was almost like the Whisenhunt charma putting a big "in your face" to the many GT fans(?) negativity toward him.

Personally, I don't care who Stansbury hires to be our Coach. He was hired to do a job and it is his job to make this hire. The fans are doing their job I guess. They are being fanatics. I am struck by the many on here that make declarations of absolute disaster if things don't go their way. Reminds me of a small child, laying down in the middle of WalMart, screaming and kicking because Mommy won't buy them their favorite toy. Hey, it is going to work out. Nobody is going to die. If you just can't live with it there are 129 other college football programs you can turn your allegiance to.

Go Jackets!
I don’t know about this dieing bit. I am getting pretty old. Don’t know if I can live through another 5 year rebuild program in a system that has not worked at Tech in the past.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
If it were not for Venerables Clemson would have lost 2 to 3 games in the last 2 years; Stansbury need to concentrate more on a defensive minded coach It was never an option offensive problem That was just a skapegoat for the poor defense performance the last 5 years Brent Venerbales give him a open check keep the offense
I think you right that defense has been the problem, but its not as much scheme as it was talent. I can't remember the last time GT had a defensive player taken in the draft, a lot of that has to do with not wanting to practice against the TO day in and day out because that doesn't get you ready for "the league".

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I just want this conjecture to end. Kansas job just opened up and our recruiting class if just hanging out there. TStan is going us a large disservice by dragging this out. I get he had other responsibilities this weekend with the playoff committee but he needs to get his *** in gear pronto today. This thing needs to be done Friday so we can get a staff done and get recruiting.

Normally, I would say this should take 4-6 weeks. At least to find the guy you want. But, in this case ... CPJ told TStan he was thinking about it at the start of the season AND again midway through. In that event, a slate of candidates should have already been assembled, reviewed and vetted. All TStan would have had to do at that point was make the announcement.

I don't think it will devolve into a CF though. There are plenty of mid-tier coaches he could go to. But he would have lost the momentum and the upper hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.