Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
And Monken and key staff can easily meet him in hotel??
Guys I know that when I was involved in C level recruiting for my organizations many times we would use an industry event to talk to a number of candidates on the QT. TStan could easily be talking to Collins or Satterfield or even Monken (sorry Gold1) or ..,..,, the unknown candidate that will come out of a back ally in NYC. And who knows he may be trying to negotiate a Quicklane / Pinstripe flip. I am glad he is in NYC getting this stuff done efficiently

Reactions: GPD

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
If a UGA fan is talking about what they want GT to do then they are likely trolling. I always loved hearing them say they hope we keep CPJ forever. Yeah right. He has beaten you two of the last 5 games, and forces you to prepare for an option offense every year. Im sure you guys love that.

No they loved cpj. 2 times but look at the last 2 years... they dont mind losing g 2 games a decade. They dont want us to make a hire that reverses that to them winning 2 games a decade. They know we can. But know we wont.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I bet our opponents would hate it most if we hired Monken. They hate the 3O. He's not my choice. But our opponents hate having to play that offense.

I agree, BC, but just so I did not get attacked by those who hate the O, I was waiting for someone else to post this. :) There is no doubt what the other coaches hate dealing with. Maybe, if we go away from the 3O, we can still be innovative enough with the O scheme, that opposing coaches will still "dread" playing us.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Geoff Collins is intriguing. Big program experience under some good coaches, and also has good record(but short) record as an HC.

At Temple:

Defensive FEI:
2018 - 25
2017 - 29

Offensive FEI:
2018 - 51
2017 - 97

As you can see, Temple took on the image of their HC, which is a very good defensive team. They got slightly better in year 2.

Offensively, they were not great in 2017 but improved a LOT in 2018 even though they came in at just 51 OFEI. That can be attributed to new staff inheriting players and players having to learn a new system. The 4 tier improvement bodes well that the new system was effective in year 2.

Year 3 would be interesting to play out as by then the coach's recruited players will have taken root, and existing players are more comfortable on both sides of the ball. Still, those are promising results for Collins.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Think about how badly pro-style would fail with our current roster.

Right you are. And the roster is unlikely to get better with a head coach with no recruiting experience or network.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Georgia Tech Fan
Full Ride on XM just made a comment that Brent Key is in consideration for the job. That was all they said. It was an odd comment. I mean I expected them to elaborate on it a little more.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Like I’ve said multiple times, college football and pro football are completely different, and to judge someone on what they did in the NFL is just not fair imo. We will just have to agree to disagree though.
That's fine, but what else do we have to judge him on other than his NFL experience? One of the complaints many of us have is his lack of college coaching experience.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Louisville still doesn’t have a coach and they’ve been looking a lot longer than us. They were also publicly turned down by their #1 guy. UNC hired a guy real fast. You think they hired the best guy? Once again, just because you don’t know TStan’s everyday agenda doesn’t mean he’s twiddling his thumbs and thumbing thru his rolodex trying to figure out who to interview.

Or what we have to offer in terms of money. or if xyz coach has any interest in GT. or what they want, money/contract , to come here.

I remember when we were searching for a basketball coach and I was a member of JO. Kelly was talking about these candidates and that we had about 2.5 to 3mil/year to pay. My father-in law plays tennis with a guy that sits with Mbob so I had him ask why we didn't hire Bryce Drew or some other big name coaches that we were talking too. Well, those guys were really never on the list and we had only about 1.5mil/yr to offer which made the list much smaller. He said the guy we would hire would not be mentioned until it was a done deal and that was Pastner. Kelly had a lynch mob started over completely erroneous information.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
No they loved cpj. 2 times but look at the last 2 years... they dont mind losing g 2 games a decade. They dont want us to make a hire that reverses that to them winning 2 games a decade. They know we can. But know we wont.
There isn't a coach in the history of college football who could come into GT right now and beat UGA 8 of every 10 games. If they are truly afraid of that then they are morons.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
4. You obviously have not been involved in recruiting. No it does not. Relationships = great recruiting. He has none.

I was going to say exactly that. Thanks for saving me the trouble!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Guys I know that when I was involved in C level recruiting for my organizations many times we would use an industry event to talk to a number of candidates on the QT. TStan could easily be talking to Collins or Satterfield or even Monken (sorry Gold1) or ..,..,, the unknown candidate that will come out of a back ally in NYC. And who knows he may be trying to negotiate a Quicklane / Pinstripe flip. I am glad he is in NYC getting this stuff done efficiently
He's in New York for the CFB hall of fame dinner

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think our opponents would be most concerned about us hiring someone who has deep connections to recruiting, especially in Georgia and the southeast. ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty insightful. I know there are programs that wonder why we haven't done better in Georgia, and one of the big factors in Fedora getting the boot at UNC was that he was losing the in-state recruiting wars to NC State, a big switch from past coaches. Georgia is a fertile recruiting ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.