Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
This explains a lot of what I see and hear from GT fans. Get over the preoccupation with what Uga fans think.

Interesting. I've said on here multiple times that we can't be concerned with Clemson or UGA right now. They are on a different planet. I think the smart thing to do is try to be the kings of the Coastal and go from there.

slugboy

Staff member
KW is not my first choice, but if it is him, I will still reserve judgement to see who he brings on as staff.

If you think about it, why is TS even scheduling an interview with KW? Didnt they play together and I assume have stayed in pretty regular communication since then. Do you really need to interview someone you have known for 30+ years if that is who you and the rest of the admin want? It may be window dressing, it could be deflection, it could be to discuss in detail the staff and offer and what GT is doing.

I'm not big money donor so I am not going to get wound up until the decision is announced.

It’s a $2.5 million per year or more salary and critical position. I’d be willing to bet the candidates interview with more people than TStan.
I’d be stunned if it was less than an all day affair in front of a multiple rotating people who had done their research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s a $2.5 million per year or more salary and critical position. I’d be willing to bet the candidates interview with more people than TStan.
I’d be stunned if it was less than an all day affair in front of a multiple rotating people who had done their research.

The total max salary for our new head coach is 2.5mil/yr?

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. I've said on here multiple times that we can't be concerned with Clemson or UGA right now. They are on a different planet. I think the smart thing to do is try to be the kings of the Coastal and go from there.
I said the same a while ago. Except I used the word " universe" instead.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree, BC, but just so I did not get attacked by those who hate the O, I was waiting for someone else to post this. :) There is no doubt what the other coaches hate dealing with. Maybe, if we go away from the 3O, we can still be innovative enough with the O scheme, that opposing coaches will still "dread" playing us.

I so agree with this. I liked the triple option because it forced others to prepare for something different. I’m good with a different (not so common) offense. Just please don’t go with a boring pro style approach. It is in my opinion a recipe for disaster.

slugboy

Staff member
Only one name and interview has been made public. Hmmm. Anyone else find that interesting?

I think he did this as a courtesy and to pacify a couple donors, and now he’s off to do the real work.

I don’t think our athletic department has made any interviews public. I’d think it’s KW’s agent or the NFL.
Since we just started, and we aren’t publicizing anything, is it realistic that we haven’t heard many confirmed interviews?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don’t think our athletic department has made any interviews public. I’d think it’s KW’s agent or the NFL.
Since we just started, and we aren’t publicizing anything, is it realistic that we haven’t heard many confirmed interviews?

That's the nature of the process in 2018 though, right? It gets out because the interviewee can profit from there being interest. I guess what I mean is that our side has to understand that it's gonna get out, to some degree.

I do think @684Bee makes a good point that this KW interview/meeting has been ultra public which could indeed have been intentionally so in order to appease certain loudmouths.

That'd mean me shaking my fist at the screen for the last few days has been all for naught. :smuggrin:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I so agree with this. I liked the triple option because it forced others to prepare for something different. I’m good with a different (not so common) offense. Just please don’t go with a boring pro style approach. It is in my opinion a recipe for disaster.
I like the option but wanted to see more of a mix. A few more short to medium passes and some shotgun. Maybe something like Ralph used.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
That's fine, but what else do we have to judge him on other than his NFL experience? One of the complaints many of us have is his lack of college coaching experience.
I get that, my main thing is, we have pros and cons for all the names we have heard. It’s just a mater of taking the cons and can we overcome them? Imo the way you overcome his cons are by hiring top shelve assistants. Imo whoever his hired for HC, it’s just as much or more about who their assistants are, and even more importantly, how much the program supports them with renevations, money, support staff expansions. Some of the other guys people like have even worse cons imo. For the record I’m not saying Whiz would or would not be a good hire. I’m willing to let this thing play out and see what happens. My top 5 are Ellis, Whiz, Satterfield, Brown, Collins in no specific order.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I think it's realistic, yeah. First, we aren't a big time program where national reporters are going to be digging deep for any shred of info like they would for an opening at one of the blue bloods. Second, college coaches are not going to want their names to get out until things are serious because they don't want to distract from their teams' bowl prep. Whiz isn't going to worry about that because he is dealing with pros who understand business is business. Very possible that a lot is going on that hasn't leaked yet.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Although Elliott says he hasn't had any contact, that may just mean he is focused on playoffs and that his agent and TStan have had discussions. I have no idea, but there can be a lot done while someone still says "they haven't contacted ME" without saying "I contacted my agent, who called Tech and who has been meeting with TStan for days now."

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Although Elliott says he hasn't had any contact, that may just mean he is focused on playoffs and that his agent and TStan have had discussions. I have no idea, but there can be a lot done while someone still says "they haven't contacted ME" without saying "I contacted my agent, who called Tech and who has been meeting with TStan for days now."

Exactly. He will as he should keep from distracting a team that can win a championship. Now if they were in the too hot salsa bowl, he might say otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.