Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Combination of several great throws between the safeties and LB's, standing strong in the pocket, and changing the play at the line 60% of the time. This is Rivers on a weekly basis. He's a phenomenal QB and playing on the same level of Brees and Mahomes.

So if the offense is successful he had nothing to do with it and if it fails its completely his fault. Lol, makes sense.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
On target if a bit harsh, but it is the basis of a solid "aginner" base. I hope Whisenhunt is a red herring, thrown out for distraction and the interview a courtesy. (Surely Whisenhunt is not taking himself seriously as a major college coach, right? I mean, didn't he go to Tech?) But as an aside to this gathering storm, I object and with a little encouragement could event resent being told I "hate" Whisenhunt. I realize it is the currency of debate today, that it is slang and in most cases does not mean what it actually, well, means. I don't hate the man, never met him, didn't follow him at GT or in the pros. In the whole of my life I have "hated" maybe three people, and one of those was that young airman hanging out at the skating rink when I was a senior and hitting on the same girl I was hitting on ... except he had a car and a job so that was cheating. But it is a word used so casually that carries so much freight, and I see it all the time. Including, it seems, almost every time somebody is criticized, then there is "hating". I can't even bring myself to "hate" Georgia. It requires too much effort. So can we not use it?

Nice post (sincerely), in my case and not being a "hater" myself, I was being rhetorical ... and I'm going to step away from this thread, at least for now, I included myself in the "crazy" comment I made earlier.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
In the CPJ press conference, TStan said he didn't have any particular candidates in mind, hadn't made or returned any phone calls, etc. Immediately flew off to Grapevine, Texas to debate whether OU or uGa was better. Came back, maybe(?) interviewed one unqualified nepotistic candidate and then flew off to NY for a Gala... Meanwhile, one of the most eligible candidates says hasn't even been contacted...

It's been almost a week since CPJ told him. We're less than two weeks from early signing day. While other schools fill their openings, he's lazily making social calls instead of doing what's best for GT. A half-decent AD would have had a list of candidates and kept in contact with them when he knew CPJ was considering retiring. TStan, unless he was lying, waited for CPJ to decide before he even thought about it. His one idea is a buddy of his, who no other P5 program would ever consider... I've liked TStan since he's been here, but I'm pretty disgusted by his apparent [non]handling of this situation.
Somebody help me out here, somebody with more knowledge about such things: how much of a handicap will Tech be at if a head coach is not named by the Dec. 19 first signing date? Are our commitments just going to hold off until 2019 and see, or bail altogether? Or sign?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
So if the offense is successful he had nothing to do with it and if it fails its completely his fault. Lol, makes sense.
Never said that. Whiz has a history of being a pretty solid OC and a terrible HC. There wasn't much going on last night that made me think, "Damn! This offense is doing a great job putting guys in a position to make plays and keeping the defense on their toes." I did see incredible QB play.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Never said that. Whiz has a history of being a pretty solid OC and a terrible HC. There wasn't much going on last night that made me think, "Damn! This offense is doing a great job putting guys in a position to make plays and keeping the defense on their toes." I did see incredible QB play.

Rivers has been incredible for EVERY OC he's played for.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If you were one of our opponents, who would you least like GT to hire? Who scares you?

Conversely, who would you most like to see hired?
Least: Until a worse one shows, Whisenhunt. The best? Elliott, who apparently has not been contacted, not a good sign. When you have an outside chance of getting one of the best coaches from one of the best programs already successful recruiting from your back yard, well ...

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
If you were one of our opponents, who would you least like GT to hire? Who scares you?

Conversely, who would you most like to see hired?

I think our opponents would be most concerned about us hiring someone who has deep connections to recruiting, especially in Georgia and the southeast. Who is this person? I’m not sure.

I’m thinking more and more about Collins as my pick. Local guy with a background at GT and in the southeast. Fairly young but I think he would look at GT as a long term gig and not a stepping stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think our opponents would be most concerned about us hiring someone who has deep connections to recruiting, especially in Georgia and the southeast. Who is this person? I’m not sure.

I’m thinking more and more about Collins as my pick. Local guy with a background at GT and in the southeast. Fairly young but I think he would look at GT as a long term gig and not a stepping stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might work well, with the right OC.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
In the CPJ press conference, TStan said he didn't have any particular candidates in mind, hadn't made or returned any phone calls, etc. Immediately flew off to Grapevine, Texas to debate whether OU or uGa was better. Came back, maybe(?) interviewed one unqualified nepotistic candidate and then flew off to NY for a Gala... Meanwhile, one of the most eligible candidates says hasn't even been contacted...

It's been almost a week since CPJ told him. We're less than two weeks from early signing day. While other schools fill their openings, he's lazily making social calls instead of doing what's best for GT. A half-decent AD would have had a list of candidates and kept in contact with them when he knew CPJ was considering retiring. TStan, unless he was lying, waited for CPJ to decide before he even thought about it. His one idea is a buddy of his, who no other P5 program would ever consider... I've liked TStan since he's been here, but I'm pretty disgusted by his apparent [non]handling of this situation.

I could be wrong, and he's playing 3D chess. I'll eat crow if he introduces some great qualified candidate as the new HC in the next few days.
Louisville still doesn’t have a coach and they’ve been looking a lot longer than us. They were also publicly turned down by their #1 guy. UNC hired a guy real fast. You think they hired the best guy? Once again, just because you don’t know TStan’s everyday agenda doesn’t mean he’s twiddling his thumbs and thumbing thru his rolodex trying to figure out who to interview.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I will say a ton of uga fans are praying we hire ken whisenhunt.
If a UGA fan is talking about what they want GT to do then they are likely trolling. I always loved hearing them say they hope we keep CPJ forever. Yeah right. He has beaten you two of the last 5 games, and forces you to prepare for an option offense every year. Im sure you guys love that.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Even the Air Force Academy has “General Studies” and “Political Science” etc as majors. GT is really a unique school in D1 with regards to the available majors.

Good point, Ibea, and I do realize that, as my son graduated from USAFA. But, they do have to get "BS" degrees, even in PolySci or English, for example. There are no BA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.