Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
What KW does bring ...
1. Completely changes our identity
2. Coached in the NFL (please don't quote his record .. I've seen it already)
3. Currently the OC for Phillip Rivers and the Chargers
4. 1-2-3 combined gives us a recruiting bump
5. Will prioritize discipline and strength and conditioning
6. Knows GT and what he's getting into
7. We will actually have a TE involved in our offense
8. All we need to do is get back CTR and we'll have a 1-2-3 GT Alumni punch (sic) ...

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is what my concern is as well. He has no relationships to any of the HS programs or coaches, and hasn't had to recruit anyone in 20 years. I just don't know if his name alone is a big enough pull to attract a bunch of kids to the school. Maybe he's really improved his play calling and creativity over the years, i don't know, because i haven't followed his career, but i know he has not been very successful as a HC.

and its not exactly like a big name. Its not like we are talking about Bill Parcels, or Sean Peyton, or the like. Its ken whisenhunt. I follow football and forgot he was the titans disaster until I had to remind myself, in part because he is so below the radar

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It was a JOKE. It was a PARODY.

And now, ironically enough, we’re arguing about a parody post about how we like to argue about everything. :) :beercheers:

Aw heck. I pride myself on being able to catch those things. Lol. I think this situation has got me all mixed up in the head. Gonna get back to work and take a chill pill.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It's not totally to blame but yes in part I am ... IMO, I think right now it is our identity and we are looked at as a service academy level team with a small fan base.

We do have a small fan base. We have for years now, even before PJ. We are a STEM school - the only other STEM schools that play division 1 football are the academies. Just don't see us "changing our identity" - I wish we could somewhat, and maybe all of the optimists will make it happen, but "it is what it is" in my opinion.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
He got fired after a year and a half in Tennessee who were happy winning 7 games a year with Jeff Fisher. His brilliant offensive mind averaged 16.5 ppg during his tenure there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
http://footballscoop.com/news/update-georgia-tech/

There is significant interest in this job among the coaching community, so expect other candidates to emerge as this search develops. Georgia Tech offers a strong degree and is located smack dab in the middle of one of the most talent-rich, football-crazed metro areas in the country.

Rarely is GT in this position. Man, I hope we don't screw the pooch.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Purely pro-style offense does not work at GT. If we go in that direction, it's a clear and obvious knee-jerk reaction to certain folks not liking the option.
Well good that's not what KW runs.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Lol. What in the world does that have to with the pros? Some of your arguments are very sound. This is not one of them.

Really? So the point is his lack of capability to take college talent (the point of the heisman statement) in the nfl and develop them. Moreso pointing to the fact he has had multiple opportunities to develop and continue to develop young players. And. Couldnt. At. All. To the point of team munity. Thats the point and it has everything to do with the pros and him

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
What KW does bring ...
1. Completely changes our identity
2. Coached in the NFL (please don't quote his record .. I've seen it already)
3. Currently the OC for Phillip Rivers and the Chargers
4. 1-2-3 combined gives us a recruiting bump
5. Will prioritize discipline and strength and conditioning
6. Knows GT and what he's getting into
7. We will actually have a TE involved in our offense
8. All we need to do is get back CTR and we'll have a 1-2-3 GT Alumni punch (sic) ...

I just don’t understand it. Why do we want to change our identity.

1. I agree. Now our identity will be losers with a coach that was 3-20 AND very conservative

2. This is a determinant. NFL is boring and extremely complex. Those offenses don’t work in college as the limitations on practice and film time. It is proven time and again with extremely successsful college QB’s taking years to develope cause they were successful in “simple to understand from a QB perspective offenses”.

3. Yuck. That offense is boring and sucks. Works with Uber talent. We will never have Uber taken like UGa and Bama. UCF’s offense is easy and electrifying. I want something similar I guess.

4. You obviously have not been involved in recruiting. No it does not. Relationships = great recruiting. He has none.

5. His last team, the titans didn’t inspire confidence in that. Pure speculation.

6. Where is the evidence of this. Going to school at my alma mater in the ‘80’s does not prepare you for this. Heck going to school there in 98-02 when I went there does not. O’Leary and Gailey changed this look at the NCAA report and how we committed fraud to keep people eligible. Not gonna happen again.

7. So. Who cares. TE is boring. A fast OL is anything I want to see

8. KW is then Roof if Offense. Just boring.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
http://footballscoop.com/news/update-georgia-tech/

There is significant interest in this job among the coaching community, so expect other candidates to emerge as this search develops. Georgia Tech offers a strong degree and is located smack dab in the middle of one of the most talent-rich, football-crazed metro areas in the country.

Rarely is GT in this position. Man, I hope we don't screw the pooch.

Only one name and interview has been made public. Hmmm. Anyone else find that interesting?

I think he did this as a courtesy and to pacify a couple donors, and now he’s off to do the real work.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You know, I wonder if Stansbury is playing the PR game to his, and ultimately to GT's benefit.

After thinking about it, maybe Stansbury leaked word out that Whisenhunt is a candidate precisely because he KNOWS Whisenhunt isn't a good fit for GT and college game. Bear with me here. It's been made known that a bunch of big $$$ donors are backing Whisenhunt, and they want him at GT. Stansbury, being the politician, and not wanting to cut off money in the future from that group is playing along, saying all the right things, and even placating them by interviewing Whisenhunt. He's making a show of Whisenthunt, leaking word with every Whisenhunt development that it could be a reality. I find it REALLY odd that Whisenhunt's every move is documented if Stansbury is "in the dark" as he claims.

...all the while, GT nation is making it known we DON'T want Whisenhunt. This could be GT's Greg Schiano move, where enough ground swell happens at the fan level that the Jimmy Haslem's of the world (look up UT's search last year for the Schiano/Haslem reference) have no choice but to backtrack and look for another candidate. In the end, a small group of people, no matter how much money they have, can't make 40K people show up on Saturdays if we're not happy with who our coach is. Nothing worse for a coach than apathy to set in BEFORE he even coaches his first game. Unfortunately, that's what's going to occur if Whisenhunt is hired. He's going to have to hire a top tier innovative staff if he does get hired and wants to change perception.

Of course, could just be wishful thinking and GT is F'd as Whisenhunt is will be our new coach come next week.

This is 3D chess at its finest. Of course, what he should do instead of all the PR shenanigans is just TELL THE TRUTH! What a novel concept. Be upfront with the fans and the candidates and cut out the BS and get cracking. Christ, why does this have to be so hard especially when a literally once in a blue moon moment occurs when all the stars align that Georgia Tech of all places is the number one college football coaching job. Rant over, carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.