Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
How would moving from OC at Clemson to HC at GT be a lateral move? It would be his first HC job, taking over a CPJ option team and making it his own, really making a name for himself (hopefully).

The post I was responding to alluded to the idea of bringing in KW as HC and TE as his OC. No, I don't consider the HC job at GT to be a lateral move for any coordinator at any school.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
What makes you think he's not focused on getting us a coach? As much as us fans may not like it, I actually think it's better that all of this not play out publicly.

Nothing at all, just bitching because of the uncertainty. All of us, me included probably need to take a deep breath and step away from this and let the man do his job. THEN... we can start complaining, moaning, whining about why we can't have nice things etc.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
He needs to distance himself from his "crazy" fan base, so he can have a clear head and think straight ... (sic)

True dat. But this is nothing compared to the meltdown on Gator Bait when Jeremy Foley went full retard and hired Ron Zook to replace Coach Spurrier. (spelling?) It was a sight to behold.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Whoever we hire at HC will shape the athletic program for the next decade. Good or bad. The health of the football program is the single most important sport of an athletics department. The money football brings in flows down and touches every sport.

That's how important this hire is. GT is in a position I can't ever remember us being in...we are probably the prettiest girl at the bar with all the best suitors trying to get our number. I hope GT doesn't become the drunk hot girl at the bar when it turns midnight...

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Whoever we hire at HC will shape the athletic program for the next decade. Good or bad. The health of the football program is the single most important sport of an athletics department. The money football brings in flows down and touches every sport.

That's how important this hire is. GT is in a position I can't ever remember us being in...we are probably the prettiest girl at the bar with all the best suitors trying to get our number. I hope GT doesn't become the drunk hot girl at the bar when it turns midnight...

Now why can't I think of clever analogies like that? You nailed it.

JacketGirl

Jolly Good Fellow

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I just watched the second half of the Chargers / Steelers game and read through the last several pages of this thread. It was almost if some divine providence took place last night with Whisenhunt being prominently mentioned as a candidate for the GT head coaching job while his offense put on a sterling performance on the big stage. That game was a complete transformation from a certain Steelers win to a stirring comeback by the Chargers. It was almost like the Whisenhunt charma putting a big "in your face" to the many GT fans(?) negativity toward him.

Personally, I don't care who Stansbury hires to be our Coach. He was hired to do a job and it is his job to make this hire. The fans are doing their job I guess. They are being fanatics. I am struck by the many on here that make declarations of absolute disaster if things don't go their way. Reminds me of a small child, laying down in the middle of WalMart, screaming and kicking because Mommy won't buy them their favorite toy. Hey, it is going to work out. Nobody is going to die. If you just can't live with it there are 129 other college football programs you can turn your allegiance to.

Go Jackets!

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Really? So the point is his lack of capability to take college talent (the point of the heisman statement) in the nfl and develop them. Moreso pointing to the fact he has had multiple opportunities to develop and continue to develop young players. And. Couldnt. At. All. To the point of team munity. Thats the point and it has everything to do with the pros and him

Your point about not being able to mold young qb’s is certainly a fair one. But the Heisman trophy is completely irrelevant to pro performance. Most Heisman winning qb’s are bust in the NFL.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Even his Super Bowl team was just 9-7 during the regular season. In his 8 seasons as head coach, he only had 2 seasons over .500 (and those were 9-7 and 10-6). His record without a HoF QB was much worse.
As someone else said, if he wasn't a football buddy of our AD, there's no way he'd be getting an interview, much less be the frontrunner.
Like I’ve said multiple times, college football and pro football are completely different, and to judge someone on what they did in the NFL is just not fair imo. We will just have to agree to disagree though.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
Why is Stansbury going to NY?

A.) That is where he decided to meet with KW
B.) He is there to talk to Jeff Monken
C.) He is doing some early Xmas shopping in Manhattan
The college football hall of fame dinner is tomorrow night in New York, now that Wiz has interviewed and we haven't heard anything, I believe TStan will has interviews set up for while he is there

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I just watched the second half of the Chargers / Steelers game and read through the last several pages of this thread. It was almost if some divine providence took place last night with Whisenhunt being prominently mentioned as a candidate for the GT head coaching job while his offense put on a sterling performance on the big stage. That game was a complete transformation from a certain Steelers win to a stirring comeback by the Chargers. It was almost like the Whisenhunt charma putting a big "in your face" to the many GT fans(?) negativity toward him.

Personally, I don't care who Stansbury hires to be our Coach. He was hired to do a job and it is his job to make this hire. The fans are doing their job I guess. They are being fanatics. I am struck by the many on here that make declarations of absolute disaster if things don't go their way. Reminds me of a small child, laying down in the middle of WalMart, screaming and kicking because Mommy won't buy them their favorite toy. Hey, it is going to work out. Nobody is going to die. If you just can't live with it there are 129 other college football programs you can turn your allegiance to.

Go Jackets!
Combination of several great throws between the safeties and LB's, standing strong in the pocket, and changing the play at the line 60% of the time. This is Rivers on a weekly basis. He's a phenomenal QB and playing on the same level of Brees and Mahomes.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
he brings no redeeming qualities to GT that 100 NFL coordinators couldn't bring... and worse off no immediate college links. Teams like Bama couldn't win bringing in true nfl guys. Nor could nebraska. UCLA. We tried this experiment at tech with gailey. Simply that approach, that system, doesn't work here. It will never work here because we can't out recruit other programs that run similar systems. If you don't get that...ok...just graduating from tech doesn't make him a good fit. I think its silly...to even say he is qualified because of it. If it wasn't for that...we wouldn't look at him at all. Thats why it doesn't pass the test for me.

This isn't like kirby smart. Who had a good asst track record in the ncaa, was a uga alumn, in the college game etc. This guy is absent for 20 years from college. On the west coast for a long tenure of that. Zero inroads to high schools here. Runs a typical NFL offensive system. Has had ZERO success developing and coaching young QBs, in fact the opposite. So much so one is vocal about it, the other and his team quit on him. Both were heisman winners. Find one qb KW developed? Find one team he took over, built up, and ran a good NFL program? Az? With a hof QB. That lasted one year due to warner catching fire, and he was a loser in 2/3 of his seasons with AZ. Find one. Take a look at what andy reid is doing in KC. Or McVay in Rams. Or what bellichik did. Or harbaugh at ravens. All these guys did it...with young qbs, unproven, built teams. Etc. KW didn't even come close to scratching it. Look at the Titans now. Vs under him. KW does well with experienced QBs of HOF talent he doesn't have to develop and can system run. Its similar to Chan...Some coaches are great at developing. Some are good managing older QBs and calling those games because they don't have to develop. They can focus on other aspects. To me thats Ken.

Its less about HATING KW than close tech alumns, fans and ex athletes knowing our school; what has worked, what hasn't and repeating the same mistakes. On top of KW lackluster and way below avg HC tenure in the nfl. Then add in team munity on him....its not a good look.

Todd Stansbury dropped the ball getting a 12th game last year which woulda given us a bowl. This year he dropped the ball pushing and selling tech to the bowl committees, partially because he was more in sync for the cfp. I don't trust him one iota.

for me, that summarizes alot of the reason there is rigid objection to KW.
On target if a bit harsh, but it is the basis of a solid "aginner" base. I hope Whisenhunt is a red herring, thrown out for distraction and the interview a courtesy. (Surely Whisenhunt is not taking himself seriously as a major college coach, right? I mean, didn't he go to Tech?) But as an aside to this gathering storm, I object and with a little encouragement could event resent being told I "hate" Whisenhunt. I realize it is the currency of debate today, that it is slang and in most cases does not mean what it actually, well, means. I don't hate the man, never met him, didn't follow him at GT or in the pros. In the whole of my life I have "hated" maybe three people, and one of those was that young airman hanging out at the skating rink when I was a senior and hitting on the same girl I was hitting on ... except he had a car and a job so that was cheating. But it is a word used so casually that carries so much freight, and I see it all the time. Including, it seems, almost every time somebody is criticized, then there is "hating". I can't even bring myself to "hate" Georgia. It requires too much effort. So can we not use it?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That was meant only as a response to the choice of Collins or KW. I realize Collins is not without flaws.
I got it. But the choice is kind of Nixonian, you know. He would say that "If I did X, Y or Z we would have had nuclear war, starvation, pestilence and disease. But I chose to do the responsible thing and just bomb them instead." And we would say, "Thank god for Richard Nixon!" But seriously, Collins might be fine and I certainly agree that Whisenhunt would not.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What makes you think he's not focused on getting us a coach? As much as us fans may not like it, I actually think it's better that all of this not play out publicly.

In the CPJ press conference, TStan said he didn't have any particular candidates in mind, hadn't made or returned any phone calls, etc. Immediately flew off to Grapevine, Texas to debate whether OU or uGa was better. Came back, maybe(?) interviewed one unqualified nepotistic candidate and then flew off to NY for a Gala... Meanwhile, one of the most eligible candidates says hasn't even been contacted...

It's been almost a week since CPJ told him. We're less than two weeks from early signing day. While other schools fill their openings, he's lazily making social calls instead of doing what's best for GT. A half-decent AD would have had a list of candidates and kept in contact with them when he knew CPJ was considering retiring. TStan, unless he was lying, waited for CPJ to decide before he even thought about it. His one idea is a buddy of his, who no other P5 program would ever consider... I've liked TStan since he's been here, but I'm pretty disgusted by his apparent [non]handling of this situation.

I could be wrong, and he's playing 3D chess. I'll eat crow if he introduces some great qualified candidate as the new HC in the next few days.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Your point about not being able to mold young qb’s is certainly a fair one. But the Heisman trophy is completely irrelevant to pro performance. Most Heisman winning qb’s are bust in the NFL.

I think the disturbing part of his failure with Tennessee/ Mariotta is that he couldn’t adjust his offense to fit the kids strengths- RPO, which is what we need to transition out of the triple-O, we are going to be beyond bad in the coming years if he tries to go back to old school pro-style with the personnel on our team and with the new landscape of college fb. There’s no Phillip Rivers walking through that door to save us.

Status
Not open for further replies.