Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I want to be wrong so bad it hurts

This must be what a felon feels like at sentencing. You hope a technicality gets you off but it's more likely that you're gonna get sent up for at least a 5-year bid and there's nothing you can do about it.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope whoever ponys up the money to hire him keeps the checkbook open for a highly paid OC. The pro-style scheme he knows has a proven history of failure at GT.

Better hire a few bagmen too...

The only way I won't be thoroughly p***** at this hire:

If CKW gives Tech a big 'hometown discount'. Maybe a low base with a lot of incentives. And, if we use the extra to hire a killer OC- eg Tony Eliot. And, if hiring CKW comes along with giant checks from these boosters for recruiting, facilities, and endowment. And, if taking CKW gets TStan's wishlist fully funded now from big boosters. And, if CKW can be a CEO type with a great staff doing the real work. And, if CKW is just coming here to get to check 'Tech HC' off his bucket list and turn the job over to the OC in 2 years...

But, let's be real: We're going to hire CKW at $4 million/year for 10 years with a $20 million guaranteed buyout. He'll be his own OC. The 'boosters' will disappear back into the woodwork with their bank accounts intact. We're Georgia Tech, we can do that!

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
KW has only looked good under HOF QBs, that he never developed and inherited.

He did however, have 2 heisman trophy winning young QBs to develop. And both couldn't stand him one vocally so; he couldn't develop them; and got fired each time. One team in particular, the whole team, didn't like him; and quit on him.

sounds like exactly what you need in college. A guy who can really develop and relate to younger players. SMDH
And one of the Heisman QBs in particular is the mobile type QB our roster has in place already. He crashed and burned spectacularly with him (Mariota).

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The only way I won't be thoroughly p***** at this hire:

If CKW gives Tech a big 'hometown discount'. Maybe a low base with a lot of incentives. And, if we use the extra to hire a killer OC- eg Tony Eliot. And, if hiring CKW comes along with giant checks from these boosters for recruiting, facilities, and endowment. And, if taking CKW gets TStan's wishlist fully funded now from big boosters. And, if CKW can be a CEO type with a great staff doing the real work. And, if CKW is just coming here to get to check 'Tech HC' off his bucket list and turn the job over to the OC in 2 years...

But, let's be real: We're going to hire CKW at $4 million/year for 10 years with a $20 million guaranteed buyout. He'll be his own OC. The 'boosters' will disappear back into the woodwork with their bank accounts intact. We're Georgia Tech, we can do that!

KW sucked at being a CEO HC too. 3-20 with the Titans and a lot of money. He brings nothing to the table as a hire. That is why no one else even considers hiring him. Even lower tier D1 programs.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Twitter is an excellent option. Nobody that likes a Whisenhunt hire knows how to use it.

I just don't see a reason to hire an older coach that probably will end up being his last coach gig. Hes made enough money screwing teams as a head coach. All of a sudden hes going to be a 10-12 win guy and he will stick around for 10 years? Nah. He will struggle at first and decide it's not for him and retire. We need someone with something to prove and make a brand for themselves. Boom or bust. Eother 3 wins or 11 wins. I'd rather have a boom or bust than a status quo tech guy any day.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I just don't see a reason to hire an older coach that probably will end up being his last coach gig. Hes made enough money screwing teams as a head coach. All of a sudden hes going to be a 10-12 win guy and he will stick around for 10 years? Nah. He will struggle at first and decide it's not for him and retire. We need someone with something to prove and make a brand for themselves. Boom or bust. Eother 3 wins or 11 wins. I'd rather have a boom or bust than a status quo tech guy any day.
"I thought boom or bust was 3 wins or 7" - Todd $tan$bury

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
KW sucked at being a CEO HC too. 3-20 with the Titans and a lot of money. He brings nothing to the table as a hire. That is why no one else even considers hiring him. Even lower tier D1 programs.
Yea let’s forget about him taking a team to the Super Bowl, that’s called cherry picking. He wasn’t necessarily put in the best position with the Titans imo. Regardless of all that, to compare what he did in the pros for what he could potentially do at the college level is comparing apples to oranges. College football and pro football are completely different.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Yea let’s forget about him taking a team to the Super Bowl, that’s called cherry picking. He wasn’t necessarily put in the best position with the Titans imo. Regardless of all that, to compare what he did in the pros for what he could potentially do at the college level is comparing apples to oranges. College football and pro football are completely different.

Again, Lovie Smith took a team to the Super Bowl. And yes, college football and pro football are completely different, which is why we don't want him!

Deleted member 2897

I was able to get someone in the office to send me the recorded call of when Todd set up the interview with Whisenhunt.

Todd: "Our fans are a bunch of angry spoiled brats that complain about everything. Literally nothing makes them happy - its like trying to run a daycare center over here for a bunch of ADHD folks high on sugar. Being a Tech alum, you are one of the few folks who would come in already knowing and understanding that, and therefore be able to ignore it and go about your business."

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I don’t get the hate for Whisenhunt. He has good reputation in the NFL and has had a long career there.

I would be excited about the hire. Certainly more excited than Tony Elliot who has proven absolutely nothing in my mind. I don’t get the love for him.

Edited to add I’m going to support whoever the new coach is.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I was able to get someone in the office to send me the recorded call of when Todd set up the interview with Whisenhunt.

Todd: "Our fans are a bunch of angry spoiled brats that complain about everything. Literally nothing makes them happy - its like trying to run a daycare center over here for a bunch of ADHD folks high on sugar. Being a Tech alum, you are one of the few folks who would come in already knowing and understanding that, and therefore be able to ignore it and go about your business."

Strawman. People have listed dozens of potential coaching hires that would make them happy. There is literally only one that the majority of us are dead set against.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I don't get the Ken Whisenhunt "hate" either ... and frankly some of the comments in this thread are head scratchers !!
Someone earlier mentioned the TO in a good light giving us an identity ... well did you see the bowl selection our identity got for us !!

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Even his Super Bowl team was just 9-7 during the regular season. In his 8 seasons as head coach, he only had 2 seasons over .500 (and those were 9-7 and 10-6). His record without a HoF QB was much worse.
As someone else said, if he wasn't a football buddy of our AD, there's no way he'd be getting an interview, much less be the frontrunner.

Status
Not open for further replies.