Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

slugboy

Staff member
That is true. But I want to see a guy who is doing less with more. If you look at offensive FEI, there are teams like West Virginia, Ohio and Army in the top 10. These are NOT college football factories. (Not advocating for any coach/system here fwiw). As I said, with Elliott's resume...if he was doing this at Indiana or Kansas then ALL the boxes would be checked imo as far as head coach candidates. His hire (which I would rally behind) is a gamble.

WVU fits better into the “factory” mold than you might think. Stadium only holds 60k though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
His system actually fits GT. He doesn’t need Bama or UGA type guys on the OL. His system can use more mobile guys who can get to the second level on the OL. Besides that, we can get good enough RB’s and WR’s and we should be able to get good enough QB’s. His system while not as much of an equalizer as CPJ’s it still does equalize imo. Running the option, short routes, Screen game and then hit them downfield for a deep ball. His system allows you to spread the field out and not have defenses all in the box, which is what we need imo. I actually think his system wouldn’t be this major transition as some others might be like an air raid or pro and that’s another pro for him imo.

I get what you are saying and agree to some extent. It’s about getting playmakers in space and letting them do their thing. His scheme does that, but I don’t think we will have the talent to create enough mismatches to be successful with the scheme. You need a mobile qb that can take deep shots in man coverage as well as speedy slot guys to beat you in space. The right qb is huge and he needs to be elite for the O to be successful.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I get what you are saying and agree to some extent. It’s about getting playmakers in space and letting them do their thing. His scheme does that, but I don’t think we will have the talent to create enough mismatches to be successful with the scheme. You need a mobile qb that can take deep shots in man coverage as well as speedy slot guys to beat you in space. The right qb is huge and he needs to be elite for the O to be successful.

That's not necessarily true. The concepts and schemes were originally designed to make the most of limited talent. It's just that Clemson and 'Bama applied their level of recruiting to the offense and put it on steroids.

Now can GT operate on the same level as Clemson (i.e. trying to out Clemson Clemson)? Hell no...but Clemson and UGA is only a twice a year problem. The next coach needs to understand if they use similar schemes, they need to adjust is or put wrinkles it in order get an advantage when playing the Clemsons and the UGAs. Fortunately, the Coastal division is ripe for GT to become the dominant program, and that is group of games and teams we need to worry about the most.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I get that, but isn’t that the case for pretty much every offense? I don’t see us going back to CPJ’s option atttack, and this is the next best option imo. I also think he could get some high profile QB’s to come to GT. Generally really good QB’s are smart guys.

King2b

Jolly Good Fellow
I like Tony's story but concerned he has no head coaching experience. I understand that was the case for Dabo, but I think he is the exception not the rule.

I also prefer someone with some passion for the school. I want to keep the focus on educating our student athletes and providing them with an education that will help them after they are finished with their athletic pursuits. I want our program to maintain the focus on commitment and integrity that CPJ brought. I liked the fact that we were a hard nosed team during his tenure. Maybe I've listened to that Dmo ad too many times. When you see gold you know what we stand for and you know what you're in for!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I get that, but isn’t that the case for pretty much every offense? I don’t see us going back to CPJ’s option atttack, and this is the next best option imo. I also think he could get some high profile QB’s to come to GT. Generally really good QB’s are smart guys.

I think something like Satterfield’s offense makes the most of our talent. You need a JeT type qb that can keep you honest with his arm, make the right reads and burn you if you over pursue. That is just my opinion though. Elliot’s scheme wasn’t insanely effective with Bryant and they had a ton of talent in most positions. It is a totally different level with TL. That is kinda my point, the qb talent will dictate the success of the offense. With CPJ/Satterfield scheme, making the right reads takes what is between the ears more than what is between the hand and shoulder. GT is good at getting guys that have what takes between the ears.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I have a question if someone knows the how many head coaches at any place Stansbury has been has he hired ? and who were they and how they are doing now.
What would really be interesting is ratings of all the talking heads hire recommendations or not and what those guys did over the next 5-10 years.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
App State playing now on ESPN. Chance to look at Satterfield

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Tony Elliott, Scott Satterfield, Jeff Monken, or Chad Lunsford would all be fine by me; move away from the CPJ spread option, ok, or stay with a version of it by going with Monken. Really want to see CNW and most of the defensive staff kept. Wouldn't mind seeing Bryan Cook retained in some capacity; Cook's offenses at Cal-Poly piled up yards, Cook isn't a "QB-under-center-all-the-time" guy, and even if Tech gets a coach who will move away from the CPJ offense, having Cook around might be useful during the transition if Tech's new coach has the good sense to realize that he's got a bunch of players who know the CPJ system, and carrying forward a bit of that into next season's playbook just might be kinda handy to run a couple of times a game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A lot of the next hire is focused on the offensive system, BUT what if the next coach has only an above average offense (OFEI 30's - 40's), but an outstanding defense (DFEI 10's-20's)?

Just win baby!

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
You're the one that needs to wake up. Look at his background, he's not a dumb jock and he can figure out how to get the kids that qualify interested in the ATL college football team. Even Paul said in his exit interview the challenges here recruiting are nothing that can't be overcome, and every school has challenges. We need STRONG recruiters and he's definitely that.

We need strong recruiters in the staff and we need a much larger recruiting staff. Those that think the head coach will resolve any recruiting issues are not looking the entire issue. Clemson’s recruiting staff is bigger than our entire staff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A lot of the next hire is focused on the offensive system, BUT what if the next coach has only an above average offense (OFEI 30's - 40's), but an outstanding defense (DFEI 10's-20's)?

Just win baby!

Agreed...but if you are evaluating a guy who is a coordinator or possibly an assistant, that data doesn't exist...so you look at the stats for his unit, whether it be O or D.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
So for the guys that we are looking at to replace CPJ that are still coaching when can we interview them?

Status
Not open for further replies.