Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

slugboy

Staff member
There weren’t forums like this (unless you were on Compuserve or something) when we hired Ross and L***s, but there were a lot more inaccurate rumors than accurate tidbits. O’Leary you could see happening when he was hired a DC.

With Gailey and CPJ, there were so many wild rumors flying about that it’s amazing how predictable the searches look in retrospect. We had boards like this, but not Twitter. Social media amps up the rumors to another level. At the time, it seemed like CPJ was going to take another offer.

I personally don’t know which sources are right and wrong, and what’s made up entirely (we had a lot of made up information in the last searches). TV and newspaper reporters may have checked their sources back then, but the stuff on Twitter probably isn’t fact checked or confirmed by more than one source. In the past, I’ve also seen information from multiple sources that all led back to a single bad source.

I wouldn’t be surprised if workers in the GTAA are hearing more and zanier rumors than we are. I see all sorts of issues in my work grapevine, and I suspect that happens everywhere.

I haven’t seen anything close to investigative journalism from the reporters covering Tech; it just seems like guessing.

It’ll be interesting to compare what happens to what is flying around today.

Have a fun Saturday, y’all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In the college ranks, there’s a massive amount of interest in the Tech job, albeit with the understanding that Tech lags behind its ACC peers in facilities and fundraising, and has a flexbone roster that would need overhauling. Whereas strict academic requirements and local apathy have turned off others, many young coaches from the Southeast feel like GT could be reinvigorated to better recruit and represent the greater Atlanta area."

That last paragraph intrigues me. Frankly I would love to hire a guy that feels Tech is something of a sleeping giant (that's overstating it a little). i want someone that is excited to be here and thinks they can win here, regardless of who it is.

As others have mentioned, given GT's hurdles, may be hard to become a "giant" on a national level on a consistent basis, BUT it's realistic for GT to become a "giant" in the Coastal division....which means consistent ACCCG appearances, and multiple New Year's day bowls. If we can accomplish that at GT, that would be beyond anything most of us could ask for.

GTechFBNut

Georgia Tech Fan
Absolutely love this. Might need you to come join a tailgate this year!
Mentioned it a few times.....short version....was with fellow DramaTech members......first couple of rows right behind the Tech bench. Couldbn't see ****.....so we stood. People behind us complained to the cops (seems to be the story of my life) Cops said they could not do anything.....Dean Dull sees the cops by us......knows all of us, so sits at the end of our aisle. All the booze we snuck in gets passed to me at the opposite end of the row. I play bartender for the game.....One of you, one for me....you can guess how that went. (Guy that was sitting right next to DD ended up stone sober and got to drive us all home. Almost got arrested for going on the field adfter the game.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I have a question if someone knows the how many head coaches at any place Stansbury has been has he hired ? and who were they and how they are doing now.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Read the Tony Elliott piece on ESPN (BTW, got a little dusty in that article...ahem...). Something that struck me as almost poetic in Elliott's life and career arc and Dabo Swinney's life and career arc:

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ry-clemson-offensive-coordinator-tony-elliott

After graduating from Clemson with a bachelor's degree in industrial engineering, Elliott took a job with Michelin North America in 2004. Although Elliott was making good money and seemed to have a bright future with the company, he wasn't completely satisfied. He missed football and believed his own experiences in life would make him a good mentor for kids. While working as a volunteer football coach at a high school in Easley, South Carolina, Elliott realized what he wanted to do with the rest of his life.

"I was making great money, had a great job and a great boss," Elliott said. "I just felt a little empty inside. I needed something to validate my purpose."

AFTER CONSULTING WITH Swinney, who had become his mentor and close friend, Elliott quit his job at Michelin. He married his wife, Tamika, a week later and then started his first coaching job at FCS member South Carolina State in 2006. Two years later, he was named Furman's receivers coach.

Swinney, who replaced Tommy Bowden as Clemson's coach midway through the 2008 season, realized Elliott was a rising star in the coaching ranks.

"I told him to just bloom where you're planted and be great at whatever you're doing," Swinney said. "That's the epitome of Tony Elliott. I was so proud of him. I knew I would hire him when the right time came. I told him he needed to be ready when the time came."

In January 2010, when Elliott and Swinney were both in Los Angeles attending a coaching convention, they drove to see the house where Elliott lived in Anaheim. Then they drove to the intersection of West Sycamore Street and Harbor Boulevard, where Elliott's mother had died in the car wreck nearly two decades earlier. Elliott wanted his close friend and mentor to see the place where his life changed forever.

BOTH Swinney and Elliott perservered through almost crushing circumstances to follow their dreams. Dabo walked on at 'Bama, Elliott walked on at Clemson. Both became contributing members of the team after making personal sacrifices to be on the team. Both graduated and had lucrative non-football careers before deciding coaching was their life's calling. Both rose through the ranks and became rising stars. One left his alma mater and help build a modern day program considered only second to the jaugernaut that is Alabama...Dabo's alma mater. The other has the opportunity to leave his alma mater and build a similar program somewhere else....

...could that somewhere else for Elliott be GT?

I was hesitant to say much about Elliott until I did some research. Research done. You never know about any coach, but Elliott checks so many boxes it's hard for me to see his negatives as something that he can work through (let's not forget, Dabo was just a position coach, and two a few seasons to iron out the wrinkles before turning Clemson into a powerhouse).

For me this is what Elliott brings to the table:

-Immediate credibility on the recruiting trail. He knows the Southeast, and he's landed some MONSTER recruits. His ability to recruit the most fertile areas for GT is not going to be questioned.

-Immediate credibility in living rooms. Let's face it, the family structure today is filled with single parent homes. Coaches have to have the ability to walk into homes and strike a chord with single parents. Elliott's past will blow mothers and fathers away. He perservered, and in the process, helped his little sister become a college graduate and make a living in a well respected field. Football teams are predominantly made up of African Americans, and how many better example of a successful African Americans are there who could be mentor to sons of single family homes? His story will have mothers and fathers crying, and assured that they are sending their son off to someone who cares and will do what's right for them. Combine that with an elite GT degree? Going to be hard to turn down a combination of getting coached by Elliott and a GT degree down.

-Immediate credibility on the football field. He's coached two of the best QB prospects in the last decade: DeShaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence...BOTH happen to be from GA. You think all these elite GA QBs the state has been producing won't give GT serious consideration knowing that Elliott mentored two first round QBs (Lawrence is a future #1 overall pick). He also coached Kelly Bryant to an NCAA Championship game. GT is a place where our coach has to be able to coach and develop QBs, and he's doing that. 5 star QBs don't go to Clemson to have their talents wasted...like at FSU, Texas, Texas A&M and even 'Bama. His offense scores in bunches as well.

-He's calling Clemson's plays. In this regard, he's well ahead of where Dabo was when Dabo was promoted to HC. Calling plays is a BIG deal, because that means you understand defenses, how to attack them, how to use personnel, what personnel you need. He wasn't just a figurehead of an OC. This is a big deal for me.

-Exposure to the high level of operations needed to become a top tier program. I've said this many times, and it's unfortunate for CPJ, but the next coach will inherit all the things CPJ wanted. That's just how it works. Elliott's knowledge of Clemsons operating machine will benefit GT. He may not get everything he asks for, but if he's hired, it's because he'll get most of the things he wants to be HC of GT. Most of big ticket items (indoor practice facility, new weight room, new locker rooms) are complete. Other big ticket items are in the works (money for more support staff). We also have a MAJOR capital raise going on...and Elliott is going to make a LOT of donors want to contribute more money, and lot of previously lukewarm donors actually donate. In fact, if Elliott is announced as our new coach, I would hope TStan immediately announces they've raised the total amount of money they're targeting. GT will get it.

-Immediate Buzz (ahem) for our program nationally, but more importantly, in the state of GA. If I'm not mistaken, if Elliott is hired, he will be the first African American HC of GT. That will resonate with the local HS in GA, especially in the city of Atlanta.

One thing I'm certain, if TStan hasn't already reached out to Elliott and his representatives, it would be AD malpractice. This guy checks so many boxes for a GT HC that it's almost ridiculous there's much debate here. Are there better candidates? Maybe...but not many candidates can bring to the table what Elliott potentially has and represents.

Ball is in your court, TStan.

This is an excellent piece of research you have conducted on Tony Elliott, and I agree AD Stansbury should give him very serious consideration. Elliott is definitely an outstanding candidate.

One important question I do have, and it is I think a real concern, is as follows: Is Tony Elliott willing to tackle the monumental challenge of taking the Georgia Tech job, if it is offered, despite the many shortcomings and limitations of the GT football program as compared to the bounty of Clemson’s? Things such as total football operations budget, staffing, facilities, fan attendance, curriculum, degree of institutional support, etc.

Perhaps I’m wrong, but I suspect Mr. Elliott may not be willing to take on the challenge of taking the job at Georgia Tech if he is offered it. In my view, he’s more likely to look for greener pastures for his future ambitions.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
First of all, I am not impressed with Tony Elliot as a playcaller. Just not. Every time I watch them play I don't get the sense that they do anything other than rely on being supremely talented to be great on offense. Having said that I, I am a huge fan of the man he seems to be. I have no doubt he would be able to recruit some really good dual threat guys and RBs. Don't think it would be anything like what they get at Clemson across the board, but I think it would be noticeably better than what we get now. His success would really depend on the ability to make the defense not suck - just like PJ.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Read the Tony Elliott piece on ESPN (BTW, got a little dusty in that article...ahem...). Something that struck me as almost poetic in Elliott's life and career arc and Dabo Swinney's life and career arc:

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ry-clemson-offensive-coordinator-tony-elliott

After graduating from Clemson with a bachelor's degree in industrial engineering, Elliott took a job with Michelin North America in 2004. Although Elliott was making good money and seemed to have a bright future with the company, he wasn't completely satisfied. He missed football and believed his own experiences in life would make him a good mentor for kids. While working as a volunteer football coach at a high school in Easley, South Carolina, Elliott realized what he wanted to do with the rest of his life.

"I was making great money, had a great job and a great boss," Elliott said. "I just felt a little empty inside. I needed something to validate my purpose."

AFTER CONSULTING WITH Swinney, who had become his mentor and close friend, Elliott quit his job at Michelin. He married his wife, Tamika, a week later and then started his first coaching job at FCS member South Carolina State in 2006. Two years later, he was named Furman's receivers coach.

Swinney, who replaced Tommy Bowden as Clemson's coach midway through the 2008 season, realized Elliott was a rising star in the coaching ranks.

"I told him to just bloom where you're planted and be great at whatever you're doing," Swinney said. "That's the epitome of Tony Elliott. I was so proud of him. I knew I would hire him when the right time came. I told him he needed to be ready when the time came."

In January 2010, when Elliott and Swinney were both in Los Angeles attending a coaching convention, they drove to see the house where Elliott lived in Anaheim. Then they drove to the intersection of West Sycamore Street and Harbor Boulevard, where Elliott's mother had died in the car wreck nearly two decades earlier. Elliott wanted his close friend and mentor to see the place where his life changed forever.

BOTH Swinney and Elliott perservered through almost crushing circumstances to follow their dreams. Dabo walked on at 'Bama, Elliott walked on at Clemson. Both became contributing members of the team after making personal sacrifices to be on the team. Both graduated and had lucrative non-football careers before deciding coaching was their life's calling. Both rose through the ranks and became rising stars. One left his alma mater and help build a modern day program considered only second to the jaugernaut that is Alabama...Dabo's alma mater. The other has the opportunity to leave his alma mater and build a similar program somewhere else....

...could that somewhere else for Elliott be GT?

I was hesitant to say much about Elliott until I did some research. Research done. You never know about any coach, but Elliott checks so many boxes it's hard for me to see his negatives as something that he can work through (let's not forget, Dabo was just a position coach, and two a few seasons to iron out the wrinkles before turning Clemson into a powerhouse).

For me this is what Elliott brings to the table:

-Immediate credibility on the recruiting trail. He knows the Southeast, and he's landed some MONSTER recruits. His ability to recruit the most fertile areas for GT is not going to be questioned.

-Immediate credibility in living rooms. Let's face it, the family structure today is filled with single parent homes. Coaches have to have the ability to walk into homes and strike a chord with single parents. Elliott's past will blow mothers and fathers away. He perservered, and in the process, helped his little sister become a college graduate and make a living in a well respected field. Football teams are predominantly made up of African Americans, and how many better example of a successful African Americans are there who could be mentor to sons of single family homes? His story will have mothers and fathers crying, and assured that they are sending their son off to someone who cares and will do what's right for them. Combine that with an elite GT degree? Going to be hard to turn down a combination of getting coached by Elliott and a GT degree down.

-Immediate credibility on the football field. He's coached two of the best QB prospects in the last decade: DeShaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence...BOTH happen to be from GA. You think all these elite GA QBs the state has been producing won't give GT serious consideration knowing that Elliott mentored two first round QBs (Lawrence is a future #1 overall pick). He also coached Kelly Bryant to an NCAA Championship game. GT is a place where our coach has to be able to coach and develop QBs, and he's doing that. 5 star QBs don't go to Clemson to have their talents wasted...like at FSU, Texas, Texas A&M and even 'Bama. His offense scores in bunches as well.

-He's calling Clemson's plays. In this regard, he's well ahead of where Dabo was when Dabo was promoted to HC. Calling plays is a BIG deal, because that means you understand defenses, how to attack them, how to use personnel, what personnel you need. He wasn't just a figurehead of an OC. This is a big deal for me.

-Exposure to the high level of operations needed to become a top tier program. I've said this many times, and it's unfortunate for CPJ, but the next coach will inherit all the things CPJ wanted. That's just how it works. Elliott's knowledge of Clemsons operating machine will benefit GT. He may not get everything he asks for, but if he's hired, it's because he'll get most of the things he wants to be HC of GT. Most of big ticket items (indoor practice facility, new weight room, new locker rooms) are complete. Other big ticket items are in the works (money for more support staff). We also have a MAJOR capital raise going on...and Elliott is going to make a LOT of donors want to contribute more money, and lot of previously lukewarm donors actually donate. In fact, if Elliott is announced as our new coach, I would hope TStan immediately announces they've raised the total amount of money they're targeting. GT will get it.

-Immediate Buzz (ahem) for our program nationally, but more importantly, in the state of GA. If I'm not mistaken, if Elliott is hired, he will be the first African American HC of GT. That will resonate with the local HS in GA, especially in the city of Atlanta.

One thing I'm certain, if TStan hasn't already reached out to Elliott and his representatives, it would be AD malpractice. This guy checks so many boxes for a GT HC that it's almost ridiculous there's much debate here. Are there better candidates? Maybe...but not many candidates can bring to the table what Elliott potentially has and represents.

Ball is in your court, TStan.
Thanks great read. I really hope we pick this man and see what he can do for us.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is an excellent piece of research you have conducted on Tony Elliott, and I agree AD Stansbury should give him very serious consideration. Elliott is definitely an outstanding candidate.

One important question I do have, and it is I think a real concern, is as follows: Is Tony Elliott willing to tackle the monumental challenge of taking the Georgia Tech job, if it is offered, despite the many shortcomings and limitations of the GT football program as compared to the bounty of Clemson’s? Things such as total football operations budget, staffing, facilities, fan attendance, curriculum, degree of institutional support, etc.

Perhaps I’m wrong, but I suspect Mr. Elliott may not be willing to take on the challenge of taking the job at Georgia Tech if he is offered it. In my view, he’s more likely to look for greener pastures for his future ambitions.

That is a concern I have as well. Is Elliot being propped up by Clemson's $$$ and environment?

Here's the thing. Texas, Texas A&M, FSU, Florida, USC, UCLA...they ALL have just as much money (if not more) and recruit just as well (if not better) as Clemson. What results do they have to show for it? A good coordinator takes the talent and elevates it on the field. Just having money and recruiting well doesn't mean much if you don't produce on the field. Clemson's offense has produced on the field.

Anyone is a risk. My point is, Elliott checks so many boxes for the circumstances at GT that we have to seriously consider him. From what I've read, Elliott has made it known GT is a job he's seriously covets...which means he knows the hurdles at GT and embraces it. Anyone that coaches in the ACC knows the pluses and minuses of jobs in the conference.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So, I’ve seen most like Elliot but some are still not on board. I’m honestly asking why would you not be on board?

Pros: engeenering degree, led his football team in GPA, went from walk on to team captain, and knows how to face adversity (read story earlier in the thread, or maybe someone can find it and post it again) he has also learned under one of the best program around and can take some of those things and bring them to GT. A lot of good coaches come from coaching trees of the best coaches around. He’s also a good recruiter who already recruits GA and FL, two of the top states for recruits. He’s also young and could bring a lot of energy to the program. I’d also imagine a hire like him would get the fan base more amped and showing for games (that’s debatable though)

Cons: no head coaching experience

Let me explain why the con doesn’t bother me to much. First, I mentioned above about him learning under one of the top programs. Dabo is a smart guy, and Elliot has been at Clemson to see and help with the rise of that program. Second, Although “CO” OC Dabo still named him to be the play caller, which tells me he’s a good offensive mind. We can use the excuse of, he’s got all these 4 and 5 stars, and while true; how many other programs have those players, but OC’s or DC’s don’t have their units playing well? It happens pretty often to be honest. I’ll also say this, if you say Dabo is a good CEO and hires the best coaches around wouldn’t you be admitting Elliot as being a good coach? I’m most definitely willing to let all the pros outweigh the one con.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
So, I’ve seen most like Elliot but some are still not on board. I’m honestly asking why would you not be on board?

Pros: engeenering degree, led his football team in GPA, went from walk on to team captain, and knows how to face adversity (read story earlier in the thread, or maybe someone can find it and post it again) he has also learned under one of the best program around and can take some of those things and bring them to GT. A lot of good coaches come from coaching trees of the best coaches around. He’s also a good recruiter who already recruits GA and FL, two of the top states for recruits. He’s also young and could bring a lot of energy to the program. I’d also imagine a hire like him would get the fan base more amped and showing for games (that’s debatable though)

Let me explain why the con doesn’t bother me to much. First, I mentioned above about him learning under one of the top programs. Dabo is a smart guy, and Elliot has been at Clemson to see and help with the rise of that program. Second, Although “CO” OC Dabo still named him to be the play caller, which tells me he’s a good offensive mind. We can use the excuse of, he’s got all these 4 and 5 stars, and while true; how many other programs have those players, but OC’s or DC’s don’t have their units playing well? It happens pretty often to be honest. I’ll also say this, if you say Dabo is a good CEO and hires the best coaches around wouldn’t you be admitting Elliot as being a good coach? I’m most definitely willing to let all the pros outweigh the one con.
I don’t think his system will get the talent it needs to succeed at tech.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

This post is eeerily similar to some other posts...hmmm...lol

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thanks great read. I really hope we pick this man and see what he can do for us.

I could support this (or any) hire but I think this hire would be exactly as you described...a roll of the dice. I am leery in that he doesn't have much experience outside of Clemson. I know Smart has done well early in his time at Athens but going from Bama to Uga is apples to apples. If Elliott was getting his production at Wake or Duke I would be 100% sold as the right fit.But going from Clemson to GT isn't apples to apples.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I could support this (or any) hire but I think this hire would be exactly as you described...a roll of the dice. I am leery in that he doesn't have much experience outside of Clemson. I know Smart has done well early in his time at Athens but going from Bama to Uga is apples to apples. If Elliott was getting his production at Wake or Duke I would be 100% sold as the right fit.But going from Clemson to GT isn't apples to apples.

Elliott coached at SC State and Furman before returning to Clemson.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think his system will get the talent it needs to succeed at tech.
His system actually fits GT. He doesn’t need Bama or UGA type guys on the OL. His system can use more mobile guys who can get to the second level on the OL. Besides that, we can get good enough RB’s and WR’s and we should be able to get good enough QB’s. His system while not as much of an equalizer as CPJ’s it still does equalize imo. Running the option, short routes, Screen game and then hit them downfield for a deep ball. His system allows you to spread the field out and not have defenses all in the box, which is what we need imo. I actually think his system wouldn’t be this major transition as some others might be like an air raid or pro and that’s another pro for him imo.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
First of all, I am not impressed with Tony Elliot as a playcaller. Just not. Every time I watch them play I don't get the sense that they do anything other than rely on being supremely talented to be great on offense. Having said that I, I am a huge fan of the man he seems to be. I have no doubt he would be able to recruit some really good dual threat guys and RBs. Don't think it would be anything like what they get at Clemson across the board, but I think it would be noticeably better than what we get now. His success would really depend on the ability to make the defense not suck - just like PJ.
We aren't hiring him as an OC.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We can use the excuse of, he’s got all these 4 and 5 stars, and while true; how many other programs have those players, but OC’s or DC’s don’t have their units playing well? It happens pretty often to be honest.

That is true. But I want to see a guy who is doing less with more. If you look at offensive FEI, there are teams like West Virginia, Ohio and Army in the top 10. These are NOT college football factories. (Not advocating for any coach/system here fwiw). As I said, with Elliott's resume...if he was doing this at Indiana or Kansas then ALL the boxes would be checked imo as far as head coach candidates. His hire (which I would rally behind) is a gamble.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
We aren't hiring him as an OC.

Maybe, maybe not. PJ isn't the only head coach who has called plays. If he's not, then what's the real advantage of hiring him? Recruiting? He better get really lucky and hire fantastic assistants. I personally think he would mold the offense to look exactly like what he knows whether he calls plays or not and I think he would have lots of inputs to playcalling on gameday to start.

Having said all that, he may be a fantastic playcaller - I haven't watched them enough to get a real feel for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.