Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s a fact that we have not outrecruited our top competitors for the better part of the past 50 or 60 years. I think things can gradually change, but let’s not fool ourselves about our present position by ignoring a mountain of evidence. O’Leary’s staff was loaded with coaching talent and we were able to do better than our average for the modern era, but don’t forget we also ended up on probation because of O’Leary’s program. I think CPJ was able to do more with less talent, but he was also going against a better ACC and better dog teams than O’Leary on the field and in recruiting. Look at the current level of Clem, uga, bama, and consider that to win the big one Tech probably had to beat Clemson TWICE, along with uga, to just get a chance at knocking off 2 more top 4 teams, probably including bama. Tech is the only program in the country that has to beat a team like Clemson twice EVERY year. Maybe Auburn is similar having to beat bama and uga twice, but they don’t have the long history of recruiting challenges that we do.

We were never on probation because anything that the staff or alumni did. It was all about our academic department that advised the athletes misinterpreting a rule.

The key statement you made was GOL had a great staff. This is the key vs any personality or recruiting ability of one individual as head coach. Can you assemble and get a good to great staff to come work for you at Tech with a limited budget. Which coach on the potential list has that capability?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
The big mistake CPJ made coming in was thinking he could just recruit the southeast and be successful. From day one, it drove me nuts that they did not look across the US...especi espe in areas that we play in (Pittsburgh for example) Tech needs a nolational recruiting plan to compete. It will not be able to just in the southeast......far to much competition with all the shiny new objects for recruits.

You get it. Regardless of who the coach is we need to dramatically expand our recruiting staff and capabilities and recruit nationwide. Our model should be Stanford. If you are interested in STEM major and you are an athlete Tech should be the first choice you think about. Marketing is also key.

One individual coach will not change our recruiting.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree. CPJ was not a great recruiter. Neither was Sewak, Lamar Owens, Brian Cook etc. Mac and Roof were about it.

To say any different is ignoring facts and simply making excuses for CPJ. He was average. I was never a fan of him not going after bigger fish. He seemed content to try and grad diamonds in the rough from lower to middle tier program talent. Every now and then he got a good one, see Justin Thomas, Shaq Mason, Gotsis and a few others sprinkled in. But we haven’t had a player drafted in 3 classes. That’s all we need to know about that. We used to put a lot more guys in the NFL. To see that go three years with nobody drafted in unacceptable. We either weren’t recruiting to the max ability (and we weren’t I believe the right coach can recruit here) or we weren’t developing players (also true).

Do you think GOL was a great recruiter. We had several top 25 classes while he was here. What about Ralph? Could you imagine either one of those guys in your living room in South Georgia? It’s not about the head coach. It’s about the staff.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
We're in the middle of ATL, the second most fertile metro-area recruiting ground in the country and in GA, the 4th best state at producing recruits. That is the greatest resource you can ever have. I see no need to recruit in NJ.

Disagree. We're in ATL. Gotta take advantage of that. If GT was located in Tennessee we'd be worse off than vandy. Sustainable success will be had when GT starts consistently pulling 5-7 4*s and 1-2 5*s from metro ATL every year.

That's why I want the very best recruiter possible as our next HBC.

I am not sure if the number but I think is 90% of the top 50 in Georgia don’t qualify for Tech. We cannot be successful only recruiting the southeast.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Wisenhunt would be polarizing
So would monken or similar

Best shot is a guy like elliot or Satterfield

I personally think both those guys will struggle mightily at Tech. I don’t why everyone keeps ignoring a some of facts about thses two candidates.
1. Only worked at one school that in no way is comparable to Tech in our restrictions.
2. Followed their mentor who really built the offense or program. It’s a different thing to keep something going vs making structural changes.

Both of these guys are a quality individuals from what I can tell. I just think their skill set and experience is not going to translate well to Tech.

Regardless of who gets hired, we must dramatically improve our coaching staff. We will not have a CPJ type coach where the program is him. There are a couple of good ones that should remain like MAC.

I also don’t see these two candidates as having the network available to build a really good coaching staff.

Last edited:

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
We were never on probation because anything that the staff or alumni did. It was all about our academic department that advised the athletes misinterpreting a rule.

The key statement you made was GOL had a great staff. This is the key vs any personality or recruiting ability of one individual as head coach. Can you assemble and get a good to great staff to come work for you at Tech with a limited budget. Which coach on the potential list has that capability?

Regardless of whose at fault for being put on probation, O’Leary’s staff was able to recruit players as if it didn’t matter if they could make progress toward an actual GT degree. No offense to O’Leary, but not following rules coincided with some of our best recruiting. I like that CPJ wanted all our players to graduate, but when you get a talent like Jay Jones, It would be nice if he could have had a chance to be out there lighting it up this past season.

I agree that a great staff is always key. It’s never just about the HC himself. With our budget that probably means young up and coming with maybe some of the current staff.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
My other school (Rice, got my masters there) hired Mike Bloomgren from Stanford (former OC) and is trying to emulate their program. Too early to tell if it’s going to work (went from 1-11 to 2-11 in his first year, but played lots and lots of freshman).

the idea was that they could recruit nationally, etc... Turns out that most of their commits are still from Texas. Obviously differences (G5 vs P5) and similarities (tough entrance requirements, nerdy student body, not many sidewalk fans, etc), but it’s certainly a word of caution.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I like Tony's story but concerned he has no head coaching experience. I understand that was the case for Dabo, but I think he is the exception not the rule.

I also prefer someone with some passion for the school. I want to keep the focus on educating our student athletes and providing them with an education that will help them after they are finished with their athletic pursuits. I want our program to maintain the focus on commitment and integrity that CPJ brought. I liked the fact that we were a hard nosed team during his tenure. Maybe I've listened to that Dmo ad too many times. When you see gold you know what we stand for and you know what you're in for!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

As someone who earned an industrial engineering degree with a 3.55 GPA, Elliott certainly knows what it means to be a real student/athlete, because he was one himself. As a walk-on who earned a scholarship and became a team captain, he has succeeded by his own resources. He's someone who seems to have earned everything he's gotten, and the thing I like best about him is that he has "success" written all over him. His resume is one that inspires confidence (in me, anyway) that he will succeed in this or most anything he tries to do. He has no HC experience, but he's smart and will figure it out (after a few rookie mistakes, no doubt). No guarantees, but his upside potential seems to be a way, way up there.

Mojo71

Georgia Tech Fan
Well you have to first, get a chance to be a head coach, just like Saban, Smart, and everybody else right. Elliot would be perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.