Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This has been debunked this year. It is a GT Admin issue, not a BOR issue. GT has not requested to add any majors in a while.

Debunked really? Please provide that link i’d be very interested to see that.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
He’s an OL coach. Only a coordinater for one year. Never a head coach. Too much of a reach. If we go with Key we are really desperate imo.

Maybe a candidate next time around if he proves some things.

Didn’t Key fail pretty badly as an OC?

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Morning Plumber... I think it's going to be difficult to actually "source" this incident but I do recall this topic coming up 3-4 years ago.
A recruit we were pursuing ultimately committed to UCF and someone suggested that Brent employed the "calculus card" against us to secure the recruiting win. Think it was more anecdotal than an actual news story. Maybe someone has clearer recollection.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
Some of the people get on here and start talking s—- and you evidently don’t have a clue about GT and how it operates .most of the names talked about on here doesn’t stand a chance in hell of becoming the next head coach at GT!

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Bit late to the game here but Wisenhunt would actually be a worse higher than Hue Jackson. Incredible that his name keeps getting dredged up.

My thoughts -- Need to hire Tony Elliott. Sure we don't have Clemson's roster, but look what Clauson is doing at Wake with that same offense (3rd in the ACC for offensive production with not much talent).

Also - from my scout team days during my redshirt year, we all loved to run Clem's offense on the OL as it was extremely easy to block. Assignments were simple, aggressive zone blocking, getting pulling OL into space. It just works well. No shame on copying whats works

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Maybe not, but is a factor in those success programs you appear to admire.
One reason for our off years is the thin bench......think about it.

That has nothing to do with Key's value as a recruiter or a coach. Not a thing. He did not create or have any control over those policies.
And I do not admire the Alabama program, but that doesn't mean I don't think we should hire one of their coaches.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Realistically with our job, your best bet is a stepping stone guy right now. I'm okay with that. We need a Jim Harbaugh to get us jump-started like Stanford and then turn it over to someone to keep the program stable when he moves on to his factory job. Elliot might fit the bill for that. If he's any good, let's be real. He'll be gone after 5 years, and that's okay a long as we have a plan in place. Need a Shaw ready to go or a Bill Stewart/Holgorsen to follow a RichRod situation as in West Virginia.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This has been debunked this year. It is a GT Admin issue, not a BOR issue. GT has not requested to add any majors in a while.
That could be because:

• The faculty and administration don't want them or

• The administration knows that the BoR won't approve them or

• The administration is unsure of the General Assembly"s reaction to such a move or

• Any combination of the above

Bottom line: I think people who believe there's sufficient impetus among the people who matter to put in degrees where we can hide football players who couldn't get into or stay at Tech on their merits are living in not just a fool's, but an idiot's paradise. There's a reason this hasn't happened and if Bobby Dodd couldn't pull it off (he tried hard) I can guarantee you that Todd and co. won't.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Realistically with our job, your best bet is a stepping stone guy right now. I'm okay with that. We need a Jim Harbaugh to get us jump-started like Stanford and then turn it over to someone to keep the program stable when he moves on to his factory job. Elliot might fit the bill for that. If he's any good, let's be real. He'll be gone after 5 years, and that's okay a long as we have a plan in place. Need a Shaw ready to go or a Bill Stewart/Holgorsen to follow a RichRod situation as in West Virginia.

Elliot looks like a really good prospect. I like that he has a degree in industrial engineering with a 3.55 (yeah, from Clemson, but still). So he was a real student/athlete. Don't see any downside except no experience as HC. But that's probably no big deal. Guy has to be pretty smart, and I like that.

Animal02

Banned
That could be because:

• The faculty and administration don't want them or

• The administration knows that the BoR won't approve them or

• The administration is unsure of the General Assembly"s reaction to such a move or

• Any combination of the above

Bottom line: I think people who believe there's sufficient impetus among the people who matter to put in degrees where we can hide football players who couldn't get into or stay at Tech on their merits are living in not just a fool's, but an idiot's paradise. There's a reason this hasn't happened and if Bobby Dodd couldn't pull it off (he tried hard) I can guarantee you that Todd and co. won't.
But but but, it is all CPJs offense's fault and recruiting at Tech is no different than at Bama. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.