Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
If we really feel like it’s a good possibility that a coach will use Tech as a stepping stone, then I wonder if Geoff Collins would be a good choice. Incredible recruiter and has coached some really good defenses.

How responsible was he for the ‘07 class? Seems like he might’ve been the X Factor

Would love to see him or whoever come in and have success and stick around but if he’s that elite at recruiting, he would definitely elevate our talent level for the next guy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...1/16237246/geoff-collins-temple-owls-football

crut

Helluva Engineer
That could be because:

• The faculty and administration don't want them or

• The administration knows that the BoR won't approve them or

• The administration is unsure of the General Assembly"s reaction to such a move or

• Any combination of the above

Bottom line: I think people who believe there's sufficient impetus among the people who matter to put in degrees where we can hide football players who couldn't get into or stay at Tech on their merits are living in not just a fool's, but an idiot's paradise. There's a reason this hasn't happened and if Bobby Dodd couldn't pull it off (he tried hard) I can guarantee you that Todd and co. won't.

I'll start a new thread on this. I don't want this conversation to take over this thread which is about coaching changes.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know much about Appalachian State Head Coach Scott Satterfield, so I decided to conduct a Google search in an attempt to learn more about him.

I came across this article about him currently being considered for the North Carolina job. It was published in the Greensboro News & Record:

https://www.greensboro.com/who-is-s...cle_c04826cc-5e0d-5acd-832f-5eea8320fb30.html

Very interesting information about him.

This does not in any way mean that I’m calling for him to be selected as our new GT football coach. But at least he may merit serious consideration.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Elliott may be a good fit because he's young and hungry and can relate to engineering academic issues.

I'd ask any potential hire "how can you get us to compete with Clemson and UGA?" That answer really can't be "I'm a great recruiter so I can get guys like UGA and Bama or UCF did." I bet half of the guys recruited to UGA, Bama and UCF could not get into Tech, so even if they were convinced to want to come, they aren't qualifying and can't come. So, I would want the coach to tell me how we can compete and maybe its the innovative offense (TO or air-raid, or whatever), innovative defense, or something else, but it would have to be something and a track record to show success doing it. CPJ had all of that. So, a young, good recruiting Paul Johnson is what we need (without the *****ly personality). Maybe that is Satterfield or Jeff monken, or some innovative coach from Citadel or some small school that I don't know about. But the new coach has to have an answer to the question and it can't be "I got 5 star kids to come to where I worked at last stop." To me that requirement buts the brakes on the Brent Keys, Mel Tuckers, etc.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know much about Appalachian State Head Coach Scott Satterfield, so I decided to conduct a Google search in an attempt to learn more about him.

I came across this article about him currently being considered for the North Carolina job. It was published in the Greensboro News & Record:

https://www.greensboro.com/who-is-s...cle_c04826cc-5e0d-5acd-832f-5eea8320fb30.html

Very interesting information about him.

This does not in any way mean that I’m calling for him to be selected as our new GT football coach. But at least he may merit serious consideration.
I would like him to coach at Georgia Tech but i think he winds up at Loserville

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
My current state of mind:

Choice 1A: Jeff Monken
I've already stated this case earlier in the thread as the best case scenario if we stay with the current model. It won't excite some, and it may end up with similar results to the CPJ tenure (which I am personally more ok with than some, here, and I understand that), but I believe it would sustain and build on that fairly successful model.

Choice 1B: Tony Elliot
I know I am seen as a pro-option CPJ lover (and I am), but even though I get exhausted by the constant option bashing of @MikeJackets1967 and @Gold1 , I am 100% with them on hoping for a candidate like this (both offensive style and youth/energy/recruiting) if we move away from the current model. I'm also in agreement that GT does not need a NFL guy.

Choice 2: Andy McCollum
This choice comes with a big caveat. CAM would have to probably take a pay cut from CPJ level to hire a top-notch OC. Now, maybe Cook would do it, but it would be a big gamble. This is probably our chance to keep CNW (which I want), most of our current recruits, and provide the most immediate program stability.

Once again, even though I loved CPJ's time here and remained a staunch supporter throughout, IF we move away from the current model I sincerely hope it's someone in the mold of Elliot/Satterfield, etc. If Willie Fritz was 15 years younger, he'd be my #1.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If we really feel like it’s a good possibility that a coach will use Tech as a stepping stone, then I wonder if Geoff Collins would be a good choice. Incredible recruiter and has coached some really good defenses.

How responsible was he for the ‘07 class? Seems like he might’ve been the X Factor

Would love to see him or whoever come in and have success and stick around but if he’s that elite at recruiting, he would definitely elevate our talent level for the next guy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...1/16237246/geoff-collins-temple-owls-football

Wonder what his salary is? I can't find any information on it. The last guy made 1.5 mil. I did read that Pennsylvania no longer mandates this information to be public.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
He needs to represent us well when he visits their homes. He needs to be excited about Tech and believe that it’s the place for people to come play.

Out if the names suggested, who would be able to do that best ?

Recruiting is done by the recruiting staff. The reason Clemson, Alabama and UGA do well is they have a massive off field staff for recruiting.

We need to add big money there to recruit well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with all you’ve said. But the top guy leads the way, plans, organizes, directs, etc., as well as representing us to the kids and their parents. I have some concerns about hiring guys who don’t have that experience. I’m not sure Whisenhunt does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
“Key is most notably known as being the offensive coordinator for George O’Leary at UCF. While Blake Bortles notably rose to some incredible heights at UCF, Key was not named the offensive coordinator until well after Bortles entered the NFL Draft. He was the OC at UCF for a grand total of one year: 2015. That wasn’t a particularly great year for UCF football. The Knights went 0-12, and George O’Leary resigned eight games into the season. The offense scored more than 16 points twice. To put that in perspective, Georgia Tech scored less than 21 points twice this season (Pitt and Duke).“

https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/g...coach-ken-whisenhunt-brent-key-mike-macintyre

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
“Key is most notably known as being the offensive coordinator for George O’Leary at UCF. While Blake Bortles notably rose to some incredible heights at UCF, Key was not named the offensive coordinator until well after Bortles entered the NFL Draft. He was the OC at UCF for a grand total of one year: 2015. That wasn’t a particularly great year for UCF football. The Knights went 0-12, and George O’Leary resigned eight games into the season. The offense scored more than 16 points twice. To put that in perspective, Georgia Tech scored less than 21 points twice this season (Pitt and Duke).“

https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/g...coach-ken-whisenhunt-brent-key-mike-macintyre
No to Brent Key!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My current state of mind:

Choice 1A: Jeff Monken
I've already stated this case earlier in the thread as the best case scenario if we stay with the current model. It won't excite some, and it may end up with similar results to the CPJ tenure (which I am personally more ok with than some, here, and I understand that), but I believe it would sustain and build on that fairly successful model.

Choice 1B: Tony Elliot
I know I am seen as a pro-option CPJ lover (and I am), but even though I get exhausted by the constant option bashing of @MikeJackets1967 and @Gold1 , I am 100% with them on hoping for a candidate like this (both offensive style and youth/energy/recruiting) if we move away from the current model. I'm also in agreement that GT does not need a NFL guy.

Choice 2: Andy McCollum
This choice comes with a big caveat. CAM would have to probably take a pay cut from CPJ level to hire a top-notch OC. Now, maybe Cook would do it, but it would be a big gamble. This is probably our chance to keep CNW (which I want), most of our current recruits, and provide the most immediate program stability.

Once again, even though I loved CPJ's time here and remained a staunch supporter throughout, IF we move away from the current model I sincerely hope it's someone in the mold of Elliot/Satterfield, etc. If Willie Fritz was 15 years younger, he'd be my #1.

Mark Bradley's column included this nugget: "As Stan Kasten, who has been president of every sports franchise under the sun, once said: “If you're going to make a change, make a change."

That pretty much rules out the TO. I am inclined to support someone who knows how to run a modern football operation, not just X's and O's.

Page Navigation
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
What did Geoff Collins do here other than one recruiting class?

Director of player personnel

“Following his graduation, Collins served as a student assistant at his alma mater during the 1993 and 1994 seasons. Following a year coaching high school, Collins became the linebacker coach for Fordham in 1996 before becoming the defensive coordinator at Albright College from 1997 through 1998. Collins would leave Albright to become a graduate assistant at Georgia Tech under George O'Leary for the 1999 and 2000 seasons. Following two years in the GA position, Collins was promoted to tight ends coach at Georgia Tech for the 2001 season. Collins would return to his alma mater to become Western Carolina's defensive coordinator from 2002 through 2005 before returning to Georgia Tech in 2006 as the Director of Player Personnel. After a year at Alabama as the Director of Player Personnel, Collins would reunite with O'Leary at UCF as linebackers coach and recruiting coordinator from 2008 through 2009.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoff_Collins_(American_football)

Status
Not open for further replies.