Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
The point is that you need to go to the games in order for our coach to win.

A loss to uga with 50k gold shirts in the BDS bleachers would be better for the program than a win with the typical 60% red stadium.

We need fans that care more than a coach that wins (ask CPJ). So what coach would make you care?

You might have to take this up with the admissions office if I had my opinion on the matter.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
He’s an OL coach. Only a coordinater for one year. Never a head coach. Too much of a reach. If we go with Key we are really desperate imo.

Maybe a candidate next time around if he proves some things.

I understand this but everyone else is acting like recruiting is the only issue.

Some people think Key is ready including O’Leary and Sabin. Those are some very good recommendations.

It will be different with any new coach. The staff will be extremely critical. The old staff was CPJ and friends on offense. Various on D. CAM did the recruiting and should be retained no matter who is hired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Okay, let's be honest. No it isn't.

Yes it is. We have limited majors.

We are the only STEM school in the country playing big time sports. We compare to Cal Poly and MIT.

We don’t make exceptions. 75% of UGA’s athletes are exceptions.

Just take a look at the majors for athletes at Stanford and Duke if you don’t understand we are different.

We can’t qualify most of Georgia’s top players.

I am a firm believer in no junk degrees at Tech. Let’s don’t change who we are for athletic excellence.

What we need to change is what we invest in our recruiting staff and make our pool bigger by recruiting nationwide.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
This thing is going about like the basketball search went, so far at least. Might want to throw some of that Gregory money at CPJ and see if he’ll change his mind. Take the Hewitt money and hire a couple of extra recruiters.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes it is. We have limited majors.

We are the only STEM school in the country playing big time sports. We compare to Cal Poly and MIT.

We don’t make exceptions. 75% of UGA’s athletes are exceptions.

Just take a look at the majors for athletes at Stanford and Duke if you don’t understand we are different.

We can’t qualify most of Georgia’s top players.

I am a firm believer in no junk degrees at Tech. Let’s don’t change who we are for athletic excellence.

What we need to change is what we invest in our recruiting staff and make our pool bigger by recruiting nationwide.

Honest question have you looked to see if any of that is true? The AJC did a study in football players at GT and the exception and eligibility part is entirely false. We do give exceptions (at a lower rate) and less than half of uGAs football team has exceptions (on par with the same ratio as every other D1 school in Georgia)

crut

Helluva Engineer
Honest question have you looked to see if any of that is true? The AJC did a study in football players at GT and the exception and eligibility part is entirely false. We do give exceptions (at a lower rate) and less than half of uGAs football team has exceptions (on par with the same ratio as every other D1 school in Georgia)

It is false. GT absolutely makes exceptions for athletes. It's not the majority of athletes like uga but we do make academic exceptions.

crut

Helluva Engineer

Why not add non junk majors that fit GT but still would help athletics across the board?
Kinesiology, Nursing, Nutrition, Forensics, Broadcasting, Journalism, Fianance (new major instead of a business concentration)?

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
It is false. GT absolutely makes exceptions for athletes. It's not the majority of athletes like uga but we do make academic exceptions.
Uga is in the 30-40% range which is by definition a minority. It's more than tech, but it's not like Halloween and giving away waivers like candy. Same % as southern and state, but ugas players have slightly higher SATs

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Uga is in the 30-40% range which is by definition a minority. It's more than tech, but it's not like Halloween and giving away waivers like candy. Same % as southern and state, but ugas players have slightly higher SATs

And what is that percentage for Tech now? <10%? <5%

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Success at the expense of the kids.......do we really want grey shirting....forcing kids that don't live up to expectations out to free up scholarships etc etc. One of the things that really set CPJ apart from the crowd was his honor in keeping the commitment to the players

Is that Brent Key's fault? I doubt that would go on here, anyway. Tech folks wouldn't stand for it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He’s an OL coach. Only a coordinater for one year. Never a head coach. Too much of a reach. If we go with Key we are really desperate imo.

Maybe a candidate next time around if he proves some things.

He's a reach like Dabo was a reach. About the same experience.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Mods, any way we can we get a header on this thread that lists all of the possible candidates that have been named via sources and have it updated as more surface or fall off?

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Status
Not open for further replies.