Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Whisenhunt has proven he can run an offense in the NFL. But we really need an outstanding recruiter who has done it in recent years and has a good model to emulate — insofar as our financial resources allow it — much like Smart copied Saban's recruiting approach when he got to UGA.

Interesting how one "source" says it's Whisenhunt, another says it's Elliott, and others say it's wide open. But of the names I've heard and the little I know about them, I like Elliott, Collins, Satterfield, Brown, and (perhaps) Key.

He needs to represent us well when he visits their homes. He needs to be excited about Tech and believe that it’s the place for people to come play.

Out if the names suggested, who would be able to do that best ?

Recruiting is done by the recruiting staff. The reason Clemson, Alabama and UGA do well is they have a massive off field staff for recruiting.

We need to add big money there to recruit well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think we should get anyone or give them any extra consideration at all just because they have Tech connections, but I don't think we should exclude them, either. Brent Key is from Alabama, and coached under Saban. Saban doesn't hire many bad coaches. Brent was OC at Central Florida and has a reputation as a good recruiter, and probably recruited some of the good players they have now in that offense. So he has connections in Georgia, Florida, and Alabama, and he is by all accounts a good coach and recruiter. I hope TStan takes his candidacy seriously. Central Florida and Alabama are what I would call "successful programs".
TStan was AD at UCF when Key coached there.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
So the one guy that is the one guy that everyone can agree on is Whisenhunt - and that is to be anti-Whisenhunt. But he's the guy that gets the first interview. Cool.

There are many people that are pro CKW. I am one of them.

Animal02

Banned
I don't think we should get anyone or give them any extra consideration at all just because they have Tech connections, but I don't think we should exclude them, either. Brent Key is from Alabama, and coached under Saban. Saban doesn't hire many bad coaches. Brent was OC at Central Florida and has a reputation as a good recruiter, and probably recruited some of the good players they have now in that offense. So he has connections in Georgia, Florida, and Alabama, and he is by all accounts a good coach and recruiter. I hope TStan takes his candidacy seriously. Central Florida and Alabama are what I would call "successful programs".
Success at the expense of the kids.......do we really want grey shirting....forcing kids that don't live up to expectations out to free up scholarships etc etc. One of the things that really set CPJ apart from the crowd was his honor in keeping the commitment to the players

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Why specifically ?

Regional ties from being at Clemson for the past several years.
Young energy guy who has mentored under one of the best programs in the recent history.
Would probably be one of the surest choices in terms of making it most likely to improve recruiting
Good offensive coach overall.
Although I don't fully agree there is something to be said for needing an offensive mind to help transition the offense, especially if we keep Woody.
Not guaranteed but it could weaken clemson who we play every year. Dabo relies a ton on his staff. Possible they make a poor hire and it helps us by hurting a team we have to play every year. Also could possibly bring some of the staff if offering positional advances (like a WR coach becoming OC or something)
For better or worse an image change from our last, well all, coaches. Young black coach in atlanta. Not sure how much I buy into that argument and don't think it should be the driving force by any means but it would be a thought to consider if we did get him.

IMO we can go two distinct routes here. We could try for a more proven HC type, either a guy with college or NFL experience, or go with the less proven but more upside assistant coach route. I think Elliot would be about as good a pick in the latter category as we could get and I'm not too sold on the names I've heard from the other type. I think a guy like Mike Norvell would be above him, but I also think that would be an A+ hire who is more likely to hold out.

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
Chan definitely wasn’t the best, but he was the last coach to bring college game day down to Atlanta! The Notre Dame and Boston college games had the whole state excited about Georgia tech football!! Hopefully, our next coach can actually win those big games though

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Regional ties from being at Clemson for the past several years.
Young energy guy who has mentored under one of the best programs in the recent history.
Would probably be one of the surest choices in terms of making it most likely to improve recruiting
Good offensive coach overall.
Although I don't fully agree there is something to be said for needing an offensive mind to help transition the offense, especially if we keep Woody.
Not guaranteed but it could weaken clemson who we play every year. Dabo relies a ton on his staff. Possible they make a poor hire and it helps us by hurting a team we have to play every year. Also could possibly bring some of the staff if offering positional advances (like a WR coach becoming OC or something)
For better or worse an image change from our last, well all, coaches. Young black coach in atlanta. Not sure how much I buy into that argument and don't think it should be the driving force by any means but it would be a thought to consider if we did get him.

IMO we can go two distinct routes here. We could try for a more proven HC type, either a guy with college or NFL experience, or go with the less proven but more upside assistant coach route. I think Elliot would be about as good a pick in the latter category as we could get and I'm not too sold on the names I've heard from the other type. I think a guy like Mike Norvell would be above him, but I also think that would be an A+ hire who is more likely to hold out.

That’s a good answer. He is also an engineer by degree.

Here is why I prefer Ken

He understands Tech and it traditions. He also understands what Tech can do for an individual. There will never be a better spokesperson for our football program.

He has proven as an offensive coordinator that work with the various athletes. He is given direct credit for River’s resurgence. He will be able to develop quarterbacks. We could be the school to come too for skill athletes. I think he also understands the we need to understand specific matchups on the field to win.

He will be a CEO type coach. Let’s say he hires Key as a coordinator. A Tech guy is not a requirement just an example. He keeps CAM on the staff. Now we have two very strong recruiters on the staff. That answers the recruiting concerns.

He is good with the press and we will feel his excitement to be here just like a Pastner.

It’s all about the staff and the commitment of Tstan to improve recruiting.

If we win maybe some if you guys who can’t find time to go to games might make time.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
That’s a good answer. He is also an engineer by degree.

Here is why I prefer Ken

He understands Tech and it traditions. He also understands what Tech can do for an individual. There will never be a better spokesperson for our football program.

He has proven as an offensive coordinator that work with the various athletes. He is given direct credit for River’s resurgence. He will be able to develop quarterbacks. We could be the school to come too for skill athletes. I think he also understands the we need to understand specific matchups on the field to win.

He will be a CEO type coach. Let’s say he hires Key as a coordinator. A Tech guy is not a requirement just an example. He keeps CAM on the staff. Now we have two very strong recruiters on the staff. That answers the recruiting concerns.

He is good with the press and we will feel his excitement to be here just like a Pastner.

If we win maybe some if you guys who can’t find time to go to games might make time.

Hello Ken how's San Diego?:meh:

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
what’s yalls thoughts on Brent key?? Heard he was interested in the job
I have been saying since early in the season that if something happened with CPJ that I would like for us to hire Key. The people that want a Tech guy get one yet we get a young talented coach and a helluva recruiter. From what I have read, heard, and seen the man can get big time talent to commit to him. He is responsible for a good bit of the talent that has taken UCF to where they are now. Now he has experience under Saban and Saban has always been high on him for his abilities especially on the recruiting side. When Alabama hired him they already had a full coaching staff and Nick Saban moved guys around to make room for him. He had already signed a contract to become the next head coach at UCF when O’Leary decided to retire and when he did and the hired Frost, Key of course took that to heart and decided to leave and UCF had to lay him like 700 and something thousand for breaking their agreement. People knock him because he has spent the majority of his career as a position coach. He had one year as an OC and no head coaching experience. Who knows if he would turn out to be as good as him but my comparison has been to Dabo. Dabo never had experience as anything but as a position coaches and had started a careeed as a real estate agent, but he killed his interview at Clemson has done what they saw in him and what he told them he would do if given the chance and look where he is now. Key would probably come to GT reasonably cheap to finally get a shot as a head coach and also get to do it at GT. He could be a CEO type coach just like Dabo and hire the right OC and DC and bring in a staff to surround them and make things work with the talent he’s able to recruit for them. For the people that want Godsey to have a roll at Tech he may would bring him in for a position. Godsey is the QB coach for the lions and I’m sure would come to GT to be back with Key and have a chance to coach there. There is several names floating around but Key is one that I for sure think deserves an interview. I do believe Elliott and Satterfield should be brouhht in as well along with a couple other guys and decide from there.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
A [emoji1376] TECH [emoji1376] GUY [emoji1376] IS [emoji1376] NOT [emoji1376] REQUIRED [emoji1376] TO [emoji1376] UNDERSTAND [emoji1376] OUR [emoji1376] PROGRAM [emoji1376]

We’re not as unique as we think.
I agree a Tech guys isn’t required to understand our program. We’re not all saying that. I like Key for his recruiting abilities. The same reason why I like Elliott. For me with Key it’s not because he went to GT, but if he did get the job that would make the people Happy that do want a GT guy. I don’t care where they went to school, like the fact I hate the idea of Whisenhunt. I want a top notch recruiter and Key is one and so is Elliott. Whisenhunt isn’t.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Here is why I prefer Ken

My biggest issue with Ken is I'm not a big fan of getting a coach with recruiting questions when we already struggle recruiting. With Johnson there was the idea that the offense would allow us to recruit more for fit than talent but I think that is even a questionable strategy. While we could hire assistants to try and cover that, we could also do the same with a guy like Elliot. The NFL ties are nice but the flip side is minimal college experience including no real local ties. He does seem to be good with QBs which is a plus but is it really enough. I guess I just question if we'd even look at him if it weren't for his GT ties, and I'm never a fan of going the route of taking a former player if he wouldn't have been taken if he went to say Tenn.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Was Key the former player that bad mouthed GT in negative recruiting or was that someone else? If him it’s an immediate disqualifier imo.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I actually brought Hawaii up earlier in the year. It's a glimpse of what I wanted CPJ to do, except I'd like for there to be more option components involved versus what Rolovich is doing. RnS 60% + Flex Option 25% + Other Run Schemes 15%.

I keep saying it, someone is eventually going to do it, and it's going to be d@mn beautiful to watch.

Would be quite a feat, due to practice time restrictions and finding coaches who both understand and could teach such a multiple offense. CPJ was probably the closest to that.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
My biggest issue with Ken is I'm not a big fan of getting a coach with recruiting questions when we already struggle recruiting. With Johnson there was the idea that the offense would allow us to recruit more for fit than talent but I think that is even a questionable strategy. While we could hire assistants to try and cover that, we could also do the same with a guy like Elliot. The NFL ties are nice but the flip side is minimal college experience including no real local ties. He does seem to be good with QBs which is a plus but is it really enough. I guess I just question if we'd even look at him if it weren't for his GT ties, and I'm never a fan of going the route of taking a former player if he wouldn't have been taken if he went to say Tenn.

Let’s be honest recruiting at Tech is entirely different than recruiting at Alabama and Clemson.
I don’t like Elliot because he has only been at Clemson. Satterfield has only been at App St.

These guys are not going to light the world on fire recruiting for Tech immediately.

The one guy who probably could make a difference right now is Key. There is some value into understanding the Tech culture and issues that makes this job unique.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Let’s be honest recruiting at Tech is entirely different than recruiting at Alabama and Clemson.
I don’t like Elliot because he has only been at Clemson. Satterfield has only been at App St.

These guys are not going to light the world on fire recruiting for Tech immediately.

The one guy who probably could make a difference right now is Key. There is some value into understanding the Tech culture and issues that makes this job unique.

No NFL retreads and i don't want Brent Key either

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

He’s an OL coach. Only a coordinater for one year. Never a head coach. Too much of a reach. If we go with Key we are really desperate imo.

Maybe a candidate next time around if he proves some things.

Status
Not open for further replies.