Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
He knows GT and he knows what kind of players it takes to go to GT and be successful. GT is not for everyone it’s not like going to ugag or Clem’s son with all the benefits they offer I’m sure you know this when this is announced everyone should get behind him and support GT . GO JACKETS !
If it is Ken Whisenhunt that's hired i seriously doubt everyone will support him..................................................just sayin':cigar: I hope Ken Whisenhunt turns down TStan and stays in San Diego:cigar:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He knows GT and he knows what kind of players it takes to go to GT and be successful. GT is not for everyone it’s not like going to ugag or Clem’s son with all the benefits they offer I’m sure you know this when this is announced everyone should get behind him and support GT . GO JACKETS !

There's literally no evidence this is true. The GT he had intimate knowledge of no longer exists.

Shiii, I got out in '01 and even that version of GT no longer exists.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
Could be that TStan is picking Whisenhunt's brain. Could be that TStan owes Whisenhunt a steak dinner. Could be many things, but one of the things I think is reporters throwing names out their because a coach's agent leaked it to get their client a raise.
I agree that it could be something small and it gets out there and reporters take it and run. I know Adam Shefter was the first to report it and who knows who told him

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
He has a reputation as a good recruiter, and as OC at UCF is probably responsible for having recruited some of the current UCF offense (left there after the 2015 season - not retained by the new HC). Highly thought of by O'Leary, who wanted him to take over when he left. Highly thought of by Saban, also, who passed on him a few years prior but then snapped him up as OL coach as soon as he became available in 2016.

He's a serious candidate.
And look at who he is recruiting..... none other than Tua's little brother, who is lighting it up in Alabama HS

herb

Helluva Engineer

I don’t think it’s gonna be pretty at first if it’s him

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

If that's the only criteria then so be it but that is not what TStan has put forth. As I posted earlier I have zero interest in seeing Whisenhunt as Tech's next HC, it would a bust of epic proportions akin to he who's name is to NEVER be mentioned. I completely disagree he know the kind of players it takes to make it at Tech. He's been gone longer than my kids have been alive and has had NO association with any collegiate program.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If that's the only criteria then so be it but that is not not what TStan has put forth. As I posted earlier I have zero interest in seeing Whisenhunt as Tech's next HC, it would a bust of epic proportions akin to he who's name is to NEVER be mentioned. I completely disagree he know the kind of players it takes to make it at Tech. He's been gone longer than my kids have been alive and has had NO association with any collegiate program.

Dave Wannstedt 2.0

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If that's the only criteria then so be it but that is not not what TStan has put forth. As I posted earlier I have zero interest in seeing Whisenhunt as Tech's next HC, it would a bust of epic proportions akin to he who's name is to NEVER be mentioned. I completely disagree he know the kind of players it takes to make it at Tech. He's been gone longer than my kids have been alive and has had NO association with any collegiate program.

Whisenhunt started playing at Tech a year or two after uga won their last natl title. Nuff said. Lol.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you know Ken Whisenhunt? How would you know he is not innovative or potentially a very good Head Coach for Georgia Tech. I certainly don't know that he is or that he is not. I have a hard time understanding how so many on here view hiring Ken W. as a disaster. It seems that to most his worst characteristic is that he is a Tech graduate. Last time I checked that did not disqualify or qualify you to be a good football coach. Hell he might be the best man for the job. I think we know about as much about him as we do the other 50 or so potential candidates that have been mentioned in this thread. I don't think it would be worth jumping off the ledge if we hire the guy, but if you do, go ahead and jump.

Go Jackets!
I think that people feel that Whisenhunt would be Bill Curry 2.0. I don’t know one way or another. He has a negative record as a head coach despite the super bowl ring. Though he seems like a pretty good OC. Personally, I think the best path is a coach who has had success at a smaller school running an option style (not the flexbone) offense. But I think we are going to end up with Whisenhunt.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
He played in the early 80's it's not the same now. Does not know college football if the AD is that dumb I will support him and the players and look forward to the next AD's pick. I was at all the games during B** L**** so I can wait him out

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Shiii, I got out in '01 and even that version of GT no longer exists.
I doubt I get accepted into modern day Tech.

1980's Tech had no APR or grad rate progression rules. Even the old APR is nothing like the current one.

I still say none of this affects whether Whisenhunt can be a good CEO style coach, but I do not think his years as a student and athlete here will help apart from having emotional investment in the program.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I doubt I get accepted into modern day Tech.

1980's Tech had no APR or grad rate progression rules. Even the old APR is nothing like the current one.

I still say none of this affects whether Whisenhunt can be a good CEO style coach, but I do not think his years as a student and athlete here will help apart from having emotional investment in the program.

This is all fair.

I think I'll melt a bit longer but I'll eventually settle in line with what you posted, basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.