Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Bill Clark is an outstanding coach!! I would love to have him here at tech! He did an amazing job at both JSU and UAB
He was the coach at my high school (which is the same Justin Thomas went to, but JT was there after Clark). He was certainly a fantastic high school coach, and has done good things at UAB.

slugboy

Staff member
Could be that TStan is picking Whisenhunt's brain. Could be that TStan owes Whisenhunt a steak dinner. Could be many things, but one of the things I think is reporters throwing names out their because a coach's agent leaked it to get their client a raise.

It’s possible that TStan thinks he’s the best coach out there. It could be that huge donors love him so he has to get an interview. It’s easy to read a lot into an interview, but when we hired CPJ, we gave a lot of other interviews. It’s probably a serious interview.
I think we’re interviewing more than one candidate. TStan implied that if he didn’t outright say it.
I’m pretty sure this hire has to go in front of the board. That being said, we hired Gailey. He looked really good on paper. I’d hope we have enough checks and balances to make sure we do this right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I temember the exact feeling of underwhelmed disgust i felt when Chan was hired, i never want to experience that again.
I was a young kid when that happened and hadn’t really got hooked on football at that point. But I can only imagine that feeling lol hope I don’t have to experience that

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m getting sick... no Wisenhunt. Please don’t do this to us Todd! Remember Ted Roof! Just because they went to GT doesn’t make them good coach material!
Actually, counting Ted Roof, that would make 3 guys from the Bill Curry era driving the GT Football truck. If that makes anyone feel any better.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
I think what bothered the Animal was what bothered me. This part:

"1) Hire a coach and staff that wake up everyday with an insatiable appetite to recruit. Vicious competitors that love the recruiting game, love to win recruiting battles, live for the "yes I'm committed" moment in a young man's living room. Relishing that feeling because they know they have just set a young person on a unique path of life enhancing advancement."

Oh, doctors, come and bleed him! I can't believe that this mindset is still around here after B*** L****. That's why we hired him, you know. Because some of our boosters wanted a "young coach with energy" and thought he was a great recruiter because he said he was dedicated to it. Recruiting is a lot of things, but a simple minded enthusiasm is not enough to lead to success. More resources into recruiting is.

"2) Support Stansbury by encouraging GT administration to be flexible and progressive in meeting the diverse desires/needs of student athletes."

Or, to put it another way, get some majors where we can hide football players, a la Stanford or Clemson. I don't know why people persist in this fantasy. First, there is no support for this in Tech's faculty and administration. Second, the BoR would never go along with it. And the reason in both cases has to do with state policy, not football. Georgia has spent a bundle making Tech a premier technical institute and it has paid off in economic development. There is no way that progress is going to be jeopardized; it will not happen. Period. Stansbury can plead until he's blue in the face and won't get more then a few more conditional admits after whoever we hire proves he can get players graduated. As I keep saying, learn to live with it.

"3) Fandom- Support the awakening of the "sleeping giant" through engagement in whatever manner you find appropriate for your individual desires and resources. The persuasive message board fan is just as important and effective as the well heeled financial contributor in their own right."

Well, no, they aren't. But trying to ramp up enthusiasm through hype is counter-productive. (It's surprising, btw, how many people here seem to think you can buzz your way to success.) I hope Stansbury has enough gumption to hire someone who can deliver on the field and can do it within our recruiting parameters. That'll probably mean ignoring what the fans want and being willing to take a sober look at our best options.

I don't want to sound negative here. I agree that Tech has many tangible and intangible assets that could be brought to bear to help us achieve success. But it will take a coach with real offensive chops who is willing to live with Tech's academic restrictions to pull it off. That, so near as I can see, is Monken. If we can convince him to leave Army. A pretty big if.

Thanks for sharing your viewpoint "takethepoints".... I read them carefully and came to the conclusion that you and I share equal love and loyalty to our Jackets, yet share sincere polar opposite views on how we can best help them...!

I was disappointed with the news of Coach Johnson's announcement yesterday, as I have a great deal of appreciation for the work he has done for us... at the same time, I fully respect his decision and am now moving forward to supporting our program in the most healthy manner possible.

If Coach Monken is chosen as you suggest, you can bet I will be there yelling support... If Stansbury chooses another route, I'll be there supporting that as well..

Cheers my friend..!

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
Perhaps about the assistants, but I doubt I am wrong about him as HC. I believe that if he wants the job, he is going to get it.
Whisenhunt and Stansbury both played together under Curry. I would bet an arm that they're still close personal friends.
They are.

Status
Not open for further replies.