Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
It might end up being Whisenhunt but there are a lot of other rumors out there as well. There is a lot of interest in this job and there is a lot of reaching out to different candidates going on unofficially behind the scenes to gauge their interest and what it would cost to bring some of these people to Tech. Still early in the process. (Unless of course it was decided months ago like one of the rumors out there. Lol) Like just about everyone on every Tech board I'm not thrilled with the idea of Whisenhunt being the coach but not time to panic just yet.

crut

Helluva Engineer
I think theres 0% chance its Whisenhunt and this is either a curtosy interview or he is picking his brain. If you ever talk to Stansbury, you know his whole philosophy moving forward is to make GT cooler, and to be innovative. Whisenhunt is the antithesis of both of those things. If you think this is serious I think you arent listening.

P.S. i will eat crow if Im wrong but I dont think I am.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Do you know Ken Whisenhunt? How would you know he is not innovative or potentially a very good Head Coach for Georgia Tech. I certainly don't know that he is or that he is not. I have a hard time understanding how so many on here view hiring Ken W. as a disaster. It seems that to most his worst characteristic is that he is a Tech graduate. Last time I checked that did not disqualify or qualify you to be a good football coach. Hell he might be the best man for the job. I think we know about as much about him as we do the other 50 or so potential candidates that have been mentioned in this thread. I don't think it would be worth jumping off the ledge if we hire the guy, but if you do, go ahead and jump.

Go Jackets!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Do you know Ken Whisenhunt? How would you know he is not innovative or potentially a very good Head Coach for Georgia Tech. I certainly don't know that he is or that he is not. I have a hard time understanding how so many on here view hiring Ken W. as a disaster. It seems that to most his worst characteristic is that he is a Tech graduate. Last time I checked that did not disqualify or qualify you to be a good football coach. Hell he might be the best man for the job. I think we know about as much about him as we do the other 50 or so potential candidates that have been mentioned in this thread. I don't think it would be worth jumping off the ledge if we hire the guy, but if you do, go ahead and jump.

Go Jackets!

I think because this road has been traveled down so many times at GT.

That road has too many potholes.

crut

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!

He runs a pro style offense - Stansbury has said ad nauseum we wont beat UGA by trying to be UGA, who runs a pro style offense.

He hasnt recruited in 32 years. No one he will be recruiting was alive last time he recruited.

Until this year, he hadnt been really successful in the NFL since Kurt Warner and Larry fitzgerald.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
I think theres 0% chance its Whisenhunt and this is either a curtosy interview or he is picking his brain. If you ever talk to Stansbury, you know his whole philosophy moving forward is to make GT cooler, and to be innovative. Whisenhunt is the antithesis of both of those things. If you think this is serious I think you arent listening.

P.S. i will eat crow if Im wrong but I dont think I am.
Do you want some barbecue sauce or ketchup with that

slugboy

Staff member
Sports columnists, analysts, and entertaining loudmouths are coming out and giving their opinions

@SBN_BillC: I swear to god, college football...

@DanWolken: “My in-state rival might hire someone who hasn’t recruited a player in 20-plus years?”

@DanWolken: I will never understand why “NFL background” is a plus for college jobs, especially right now. If anything the trends are going in the opposite direction.

@edsbs: It’s a tech school but they don’t know what a .416 winning percentage means

@edsbs: Stop devaluing my masters degree y’all I do a good enough job of that all by myself

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Sports columnists, analysts, and entertaining loudmouths are coming out and giving their opinions

@SBN_BillC: I swear to god, college football...

@DanWolken: “My in-state rival might hire someone who hasn’t recruited a player in 20-plus years?”

@DanWolken: I will never understand why “NFL background” is a plus for college jobs, especially right now. If anything the trends are going in the opposite direction.

@edsbs: It’s a tech school but they don’t know what a .416 winning percentage means

@edsbs: Stop devaluing my masters degree y’all I do a good enough job of that all by myself

Mike MacIntyre would be a good hire also

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
Dewberry was same time as well. Maybe he is driving this with a large promised check. Maybe it’s enough to hire top tier assistants and recruiters. Could be a good thing if a hire opens up needed resources.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Mel Tucker? Seems due for a HC job and is not really a Uga guy- would hurt Uga recruiting and we know he has ga recruiting connections

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps about the assistants, but I doubt I am wrong about him as HC. I believe that if he wants the job, he is going to get it.
Whisenhunt and Stansbury both played together under Curry. I would bet an arm that they're still close personal friends.
Whisenhunt spells caution and caution here spells mediocrity. The AD's first major hire has to be about audacity, stretching the limits. Not wussing out.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
I want someone who puts fans in the stands.

CPJ has proven than winning alone will not make that happen.

I will go to every home game no matter what, as usual. I honestly would prioritize a coach who could generate enough interest to pack the stadium for one or two games a year over someone who might eek out an extra win.

But this isn’t about me. We need more support as a program and I’ll guve my support win or lose.

This is about the people who decide to find ways NOT to support the program!

SO —— If you live in metro Atlanta, and you don’t go to most home games, then what coach would make you attend? This is probably the most important question to me. Why, if you live within a 1.5 - 2 hour drive don’t you come to games, and what coach would make you attend?

We have a fan base who primarily lives within an hour or two drive and we don’t often have more than 35k fans attend games. I would contend that schools who pack their stadium end up winning more than schools who don’t. What coach could change your mind (LOTS of people on this board) and cause you to support our football team in a meaningful way.... BY ATTENDING EVERY HOME GAME!

Status
Not open for further replies.