Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Wouldn't bother me in the least if TStan went after Monken or Bohannon, and if so it would be fine if either one tweaked the CPJ offense with more wrinkles. (And despite Navy's poor 2018 season, OC Ivin Jasper up there has successfully opened up Navy's offense the past decade without a radical departure from the basic flexbone approach.)

Willie Fritz at Tulane could be an interesting target; heaven knows that Tulane is no easy place to win, he's slowly turning things around there. Fritz has a successful track record over his career, to be sure. However, Tulane earlier this year extended his contract through the 2023 season

If Tech gets a HC intent on moving away from the Johnson system, Bob Stitt -- now cooling his heels as an "offensive analyst" at Oklahoma State after head coaching gigs at FCS-level Montana and Div. 2/academically serious Colorado School of the Mines -- would be a very interesting candidate for OC; there are news reports the new Texas State coach is interested in Stitt as OC, so he might be headed to the Sun Belt.
https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/...dy-spencer-sanders-cowboys-osu-pokes-football

Here's hoping that whoever the new HC is, he retains CNW and the "new" defensive staff unless said new coach can bring in a new DC with at least a similarly successful track record.

Anyone from the NFL? No thank you.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Only thing I've heard, which many others have also posted, is that another "option" coach would not be received well by the money guys so that means something like Wisenhunt or Key. *yawn*

A guy like Elliot would be waiting until Clem's season is about done before even interviewing.

Hey, can you hire my search firm to ... uhm, "consult"? You can make the decision and all that but I mean GT would be fitting the bill so why not slide me some duckets in the process?

Disagree about Elliot. I think Dabo would be very happy to see his asst coaches succeed and move up. That is actually good for him.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
That would be interesting if they hired Satterfield. That would be 2 coaches in a row for Tech that's probably super pissed at UNC for not even considering them as their next coach.
I agree with the poster above with an offense akin to O'Leary/Fridge era
O'Leary and Fridge live about 70 miles down the road at Oconee.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
In terms of trusting TStan iirc it's his first major sports hire anywhere and so there is a level of questioning for that.

If we go the assistant route like Key or Elliot then I'll have no problem as there is an obvious logic and they'll get 4-5 years to show. If we decide to go Monken and just continue as is I'll be skeptical to some degree but give him a chance to show improved recruiting or evolving the system. I'd expect a shorter timeframe for the evaluation though since the move would be made to go in the same direction rather than a different one.

In my opinion, a very thoughtful and well expressed reply, LV. I think I totally agree. Wonder if PJ is being consulted by TStan on what he thinks of certain coaches, especially choices like Monken, who PJ had on staff?

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
Bill Callahan - Nebraska
Lovie Smith - Failed miserably at Illinois
Jim Mora - Failed miserably at UCLA
Mike Riley - Failed miserably at Nebraska
Herm Edwards - Arizona State (went 7-5 this year in a year when USC, UCLA, Arizona, were VERY down)
Exactly Pro coaches generaly have no College experience and are terrible hires, Will only set the program back years

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
You are correct. I should clarify. When I said "school" I meant program; money, facilities, support staff, brand, fans, conference, location, academics... These things set what league you're "shopping" in. How well you do in your "league" is moreso determined by individual recruiting prowess by the coaches.

The best recruiters can't consistently land players 'out of their league'. Saban wouldn't have been bringing 4-5*s to Toledo.

Tech is a 50th level program by the factors. Our recruiting will generally be +/- that level regardless of coach. Unless those factors change. A great recruiter might get us to 30th level recruiting with our resources. But if we're running Clemson's system with 30th level talent, we'd be delusional to think we could beat them and their top 5 talent.

Then, with rivalry UGA and Clemson as permanent crossover ACC game, a Tech coach has to run the remaining table for a 10-win season.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Anyone here not trust TStan to be able to make the right hire regardless of what scheme the coach will run?

Or are you going to complain from day one if the coach that gets hired just doesn't specialize in whatever offense you wanted to see GT run?

I'm trying to gauge and set my own expectations to see if we can at least give the new guy a few years of committed support regardless of what offensive scheme he runs and also the W/L while he builds the team he needs.

It doesn't matter to me what scheme we run. I just want to win and represent the Institute well. As long as we are consistent and playing til the whistle blows, I'm good.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We’ve been down that road of bringing in a “Tech man” as head coach and, with all due respect to Coach Curry, no one wants a repeat of that...

Curious as to your thoughts why? Mind you, I don't like any of the names mentioned so far, but interested in your perspective.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
NewMexicoOption_Names1.png
NewMexicoOption_Names2.png
NewMexicoOption_Names3.png

NewMexicoOption_Names4.png

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
1. Satterfield is my personal choice. But local papers in the area write that he and his wife are married to small town America.
Question is, would a $2 million raise make the big city more attractive?
Plus his DC is already in place.

2. TStan keeps using the phrase a "coach that fits GT". That probably rules out most current head coaches around the nation.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Disagree about Elliot. I think Dabo would be very happy to see his asst coaches succeed and move up. That is actually good for him.

Honestly i think if it was to anywhere else Dabo woudl fight it. Dabo is one of Pauls close friends now. Paul mentored him a lot when he first got the head coaching job at clemson. I think that Dabo would like to see the kids pauls recruited do well (win every game but 2) and would help move elliot if elliot was interested.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Scares me some, but not to much. I’m glad we not just looking at tired retreads. It depends on who will his assistance be as well. Him being AA doesn’t hurt any at all. Him being at a program that already recruits the area. That the players and coaches know. That is familiar with the landscape. That’s pulled highly recruited kids from the area already. Whose system blends well with the current one while being attractive to other recruits means more.

Yep. The trenches will need work and of course no TE, but everything else blends well with the current roster.
He would bring a lot of excitement not just with fans but within the city & metro. If he wins, he’d own Atlanta.

Count me in On the Tony Elliot train, i’m excited that he already recruits ATL, i wonder if he would be his own OC?

Animal02

Banned
You know stech, I really haven't thought it out that much, I just really want the program to get away from the stigma of the TO and being compared to the service academies ...
I happen to appreciate the uniqueness. It sets Tech apart from the rest. Otherwise we are just another uni with a limited amount of degrees and none of the bright shiny objects on campus like a hundred plus D1 schools

Status
Not open for further replies.