Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Whisenhunt has proven he can run an offense in the NFL. But we really need an outstanding recruiter who has done it in recent years and has a good model to emulate — insofar as our financial resources allow it — much like Smart copied Saban's recruiting approach when he got to UGA.

Interesting how one "source" says it's Whisenhunt, another says it's Elliott, and others say it's wide open. But of the names I've heard and the little I know about them, I like Elliott, Collins, Satterfield, Brown, and (perhaps) Key.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Anyone here not trust TStan to be able to make the right hire regardless of what scheme the coach will run?

Or are you going to complain from day one if the coach that gets hired just doesn't specialize in whatever offense you wanted to see GT run?

I'm trying to gauge and set my own expectations to see if we can at least give the new guy a few years of committed support regardless of what offensive scheme he runs and also the W/L while he builds the team he needs.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
What worries me, is it usually takes a coach several years to get the ball rolling.
Curry, Ross, O’Leary, just to name a few.

I would rather a coach build on something that can eventually be very competitive consistently, than one that has some of his best years immediately.

Anyone remember Saban’s first year at bama now?

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
From reading your posts, you really have a good, detailed knowledge of what is happening on the field. Very interesting.

You gonna throw your hat in the ring?

Sure, I'll throw my hat into the ring.

My first hire will be @stylee as OC. We're gonna run the Muskegon option that he loves.
We'll get @ilovetheoption to coach running backs.
And I'll get @RamblinWreck92 to coach WR's. We'll gameplan to not throw it to his guys to piss him off.

:D

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Anyone here not trust TStan to be able to make the right hire regardless of what scheme the coach will run?

Or are you going to complain from day one if the coach that gets hired just doesn't specialize in whatever offense you wanted to see GT run?

I'm trying to gauge and set my own expectations to see if we can at least give the new guy a few years of committed support regardless of what offensive scheme he runs and also the W/L while he builds the team he needs.

In terms of trusting TStan iirc it's his first major sports hire anywhere and so there is a level of questioning for that.

If we go the assistant route like Key or Elliot then I'll have no problem as there is an obvious logic and they'll get 4-5 years to show. If we decide to go Monken and just continue as is I'll be skeptical to some degree but give him a chance to show improved recruiting or evolving the system. I'd expect a shorter timeframe for the evaluation though since the move would be made to go in the same direction rather than a different one.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
There isn't a school in the country that recruits itself, certainly in the numbers required to field a team. If Clemson did it could junk the recruiting budget. Know how Swinney got on the leader board to succeed Bowden? Because as the WR coach in charge of that recruiting, he went out and reeled in C.J. Spiller, Florida's No. 1 player who initially had no intention of considering Clemson, but from '06-'09 was consensus All-American and was easily from the two times I saw him against Tech the best football player in the country. I still have nightmares in which he runs that damned drag route to the sideline and makes us look silly. Recruiting and recruiters count, big time.

It is strange that some think the coaches at successful schools are just going through the motions. That they don’t have to bust their butt just like CPJ did.

Your analysis, and your first sentence in the post, is 100% correct.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I'll support whoever TStan hires, even if I think it's a mistake (I've been known to be wrong, on rare occasion). Everyone has a few considerations or maybe just one major that seem(s) paramount to them, but the AD will have to take it all into account and decide which of these are most important for success. Whoever it is will need time.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I have my preferences, Elliot being number one, simply because of where he's been. I lean more toward the coordinator who's been where we want to go, rather than the HC who's spent the majority of his time coaching at the G-5 level. Recent coordinator successes that come to mind are Lincoln Riley and Kirby. Obviously not a slam dunk, but in my opinion that route works better than the G-5 HC (Fedora, Fuente, etc).

I, like everyone else, have a lot of thoughts on the situation, but the one thing I'll say that I hope is echoed by the rest of the fan base is that regardless of who TStan selects, I'll be in my same seat next year, wearing my same shirt, supporting the same team I have been supporting since I was a kid. That won't change because of a coaching hire - regardless of whether or not I like the selection. I, and we, are loyal to the school - not necessarily the man that runs the program.

I loved CPJ and am so grateful for what he did for Georgia Tech. He's done what you would want from any head coach - leaving the program in a better place than he found it. I have confidence in TStan to make a good, educated decision and am personally excited about the direction of the football program under his leadership.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If a new coach can teach our OL to pass block this spring, think of the problems opposing defenses could face - the same offense could break the huddle and line up in CPJ’s alignment and run the TO, because they know that already, or line up in the new coach’s pro set or whatever. Defenses wouldn’t have time to change personnel or get set up with different defensive calls.

Not sure if in today’s game (where it is basically ok to hold) that pass blocking, especially in a mid range scheme, is not easier to coach than the Sewak ankle biting nonsense.

And, it would seem from the constant references to missed assignments, GT players may need a more simple system.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I have my preferences, Elliot being number one, simply because of where he's been. I lean more toward the coordinator who's been where we want to go, rather than the HC who's spent the majority of his time coaching at the G-5 level. Recent coordinator successes that come to mind are Lincoln Riley and Kirby. Obviously not a slam dunk, but in my opinion that route works better than the G-5 HC (Fedora, Fuente, etc).

I, like everyone else, have a lot of thoughts on the situation, but the one thing I'll say that I hope is echoed by the rest of the fan base is that regardless of who TStan selects, I'll be in my same seat next year, wearing my same shirt, supporting the same team I have been supporting since I was a kid. That won't change because of a coaching hire - regardless of whether or not I like the selection. I, and we, are loyal to the school - not necessarily the man that runs the program.

I loved CPJ and am so grateful for what he did for Georgia Tech. He's done what you would want from any head coach - leaving the program in a better place than he found it. I have confidence in TStan to make a good, educated decision and am personally excited about the direction of the football program under his leadership.

You make a good argument for P5 coordinator vs G5 HC. I suppose the advantage of the HC is that he has shown that he can put together a staff and run the program, plus he's been in charge of the recruiting already. A guy like Elliott, on the other hand, has seen how a successful P5 program can be run.

I'm so conflicted, it's stressing me out. I think I'll turn the decision-making back over to Todd.

Status
Not open for further replies.