Status
Not open for further replies.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Bill Callahan - Nebraska
Lovie Smith - Failed miserably at Illinois
Jim Mora - Failed miserably at UCLA
Mike Riley - Failed miserably at Nebraska
Herm Edwards - Arizona State (went 7-5 this year in a year when USC, UCLA, Arizona, were VERY down)

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Lovie Smith last week got a 3 year extension at Illinois

Which is completely insane... Right before his extension Iowa beat them 63 points. They lost a game 63-0 and then he immediately got an extension.

Wisconsin beat them by 30
Maryland beat them by 30
Iowa beat them by 63
Nebraska beat them by 20
Penn State beat them by 39
Purdue beat them by 40

He is 9-27 as their coach....

AND THEY GAVE HIM A 3 YEAR EXTENSION! They have already done the "fire all the assistants" step which is usually a sign that he is on life support, but they retained him.

In other words, Illinois has given up on the football program.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Which is completely insane... Right before his extension Iowa beat them 63 points. They lost a game 63-0 and then he immediately got an extension.

Maryland beat them by 30
Iowa beat them by 63
Nebraska beat them by 20
Purdue beat them by 40

AND THEY GAVE HIM A 3 YEAR EXTENSION! They have already done the "fire all the assistants" step which is usually a sign that he is on life support, but they retained him.

Illinois has fallen back in the shytehole they were in during the late 1960s-1970s

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Whisenhunt would be a good hire for many reasons. He would have a compelling story to sell to recruits based on his NFL experience. He understands Tech and its idiosyncrasies. He has been doing a good job as OC in Los Angeles. And he actually took the pathetic Arizona freakin' Cardinals to the Super Bowl and came withing one freak play of winning it.

So Whisenhunt is my first choice and it isn't close. However, since he is an OC on a successful team, he might be in line for another (last?) chance to be an NFL head coach, so he might not want to come here and end that possibility.

After that . . .

Let's get real. Briles isn't coming here. Leach isn't coming here. Kiffin isn't coming here. Even if I really wanted any of them (I don't).

I have heard folks mention Holgorsen and Sarkisian. I do not believe either of them would come unless we backed up the Brinks truck. However, of the two, I would prefer Sarkisian.

Wikipedia says that Louisville has already hired Satterfield.

I am a hard "No" on RichRod. Bobby Petrino has been successful in general, but he has always seemed kind of slimy from the way he left the Falcons mid season, to the motorcycle incident at Arkansas, and I have to wonder why Louisville was so quick to fire him during his first bad season there after four decent years. I suspect that no one there liked him. I don't want him, either.

I would prefer Chris Klieman or Mike Houston to any of these retreads and the various assistants at "name" programs whose names I've heard. Mike Houston has won everywhere he's been, and I would be excited if he came here. On the other hand, it could be Bill Lewis all over again. Still, I think Houston or even Klieman would be worth the gamble.

Jeff Monken seems like CPJ 2.0. With all the folks calling for Johnson's head the last couple if years and pointing accusingly at his offense, how is that going to work out if things don't go well out of the gate with Monken? Unlike CPJ, Monken won't have that nice Orange Bowl trophy to back him up. I wouldn't complain if he took the job, but I wouldn't be very excited either. The situation with Bohannon is similar.

Whisenhunt, at this point, would kind of be like spilled milk at GT. Time for that hire has passed.

We are a bigger & better program now than just to put any emphasis on previous GT associations and knowledge. It might satisfy those tied to the notion of “Tech Man” baloney, but it would be a major, in my opinion, failure in trying to lure new fans and add credibility to the program.

Ken does not have a very good HC record and I don’t think he has ever recruited a single HS. player has he?

And it is always curious to me how so many fans are not aware of programs almost coming up from the dead after they hire someone from one of their biggest rivals. Not saying we should, but I have always found that interesting.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow

Maryland beat them by 30
Iowa beat them by 63
Nebraska beat them by 20
Purdue beat them by 40

I need this job. You fail up.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
HC: Geoff Collins
OC: Kenny Dillingham or Tony Albin
DC: Nate Woody

A couple of unknowns on offense. Then a bunch of defensive minded guys to try to keep us in games when we can't score. Lol. Then just find the best recruiters you can for position coaches that can actually coach and aren't $$$$$.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If we stay with any of Paul’s desciples and run this system I’ll quit. WTF makes any of you think one of his coaches can be more successful than the master of this system? Because Monken won a few games at Armg who plays nobody? The level of ineptitude by some folks is off the charts. If PJ can’t be what we call successful here then neither can any one of the coaches in his tree. This system is old and our common opponents have figured it out. Hell Cutcliffe looks forward to playing it every year and for good reason because he has owned the triple option. Let that sink in.

GT needs some variation of an RPO with option elements. It’s working in college and the NFL. That will attract kids to this program because there is a path to the NFL. If we stay with the triple option and Monken, Ken N. Or Bohannon then GT may as well concede defeat and scrap football or go down a division.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
A very interesting guy I was talking to my friends about who's from Texas is UT Co-Offensive Coordinator/OL Coach Herb Hand. He's basically helped develop the Malzahn Wing-T/Smashmouth Spread whatever offense with Gus back in the day. He's coached/Cordinated with Malzhan for a number of years and was at Vanderbilt and Penn State before. He also is one of the few guys who's coached under the 3-major zone-read spread trees: Rich Rod and West Virginia, Gus at Tulsa and extensively at Auburn, and now under the Urban Meyer tree with Herman/Tim Beck so he can probably put together some very interesting plays. He's apparently a good recruiter, but Texas recruits itself and Auburn does to a good degree as well. I bet he would be cheap because he makes position coach money and not top OC money right now so we could spend on position coaches and maybe a top level S&C program.

Good read and interesting detail. Wish this could be forwarded to TStan.

Thx.

ramble_on92

Georgia Tech Fan
If we stay with any of Paul’s desciples and run this system I’ll quit. WTF makes any of you think one of his coaches can be more successful than the master of this system? Because Monken won a few games at Armg who plays nobody? The level of ineptitude by some folks is off the charts. If PJ can’t be what we call successful here then neither can any one of the coaches in his tree. This system is old and our common opponents have figured it out. Hell Cutcliffe looks forward to playing it every year and for good reason because he has owned the triple option. Let that sink in.

GT needs some variation of an RPO with option elements. It’s working in college and the NFL. That will attract kids to this program because there is a path to the NFL. If we stay with the triple option and Monken, Ken N. Or Bohannon then GT may as well concede defeat and scrap football or go down a division.
Completely agree. I truly hope Monken and Bohannon are just fan theories that have evolved into rumors. If we cannot beat today's Clemson and Georgia teams with the TO Master, were not going to do it with his disciples. This has to be a big hire or someone exciting to keep the football momentum moving. Only way to kill the Adidas boost and Stansbury's vision is to remain with an offense that fractures your fan base.

EDIT: Big and exciting hire does not mean an NFL journeyman with an overall losing record, just because he's a "Tech Man".

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I personally think it’s Tony Elliot idk just a feeling.

I also like what I have read about him. Seems like good coach, and having an IE degree (regardless of where he got it. I mean what degree did curry, Boss Ross, O’L, CPJ have?) could carry some cache while he is trying to recruit to GT. And he is probably very familiar with our prospect territory.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Bill Callahan - Nebraska
Lovie Smith - Failed miserably at Illinois
Jim Mora - Failed miserably at UCLA
Mike Riley - Failed miserably at Nebraska
Herm Edwards - Arizona State (went 7-5 this year in a year when USC, UCLA, Arizona, were VERY down)

That's a real murder's row ... as in, I'd really murder the AD if he hired a dreg like that.

By all means, share the insider information you obviously have....

No need. Any of us can throw out vagueness like that and act like we have 'sources'.

Shiii, I did it earlier today. :D

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I live in Oregon and followed his tenure at Oregon. We do not want Helfrich. He's a great offensive mind for sure, but he is in that Norv Turner category of "Great Coordinator, Crummy Head Man".

From reading your posts, you really have a good, detailed knowledge of what is happening on the field. Very interesting.

You gonna throw your hat in the ring?

Status
Not open for further replies.