Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Only thing I've heard, which many others have also posted, is that another "option" coach would not be received well by the money guys so that means something like Wisenhunt or Key. *yawn*

A guy like Elliot would be waiting until Clem's season is about done before even interviewing.

Hey, can you hire my search firm to ... uhm, "consult"? You can make the decision and all that but I mean GT would be fitting the bill so why not slide me some duckets in the process?
Yeah there are search firms out there but their advice is questionable at times:rolleyes: The recommended Tennessee hire Derek Dooley:vomit:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
re: Elliot and waiting until the season is over, didn’t Kirby, the ut coach and Kiffin all have their new jobs well before the playoffs? If they really want to be a head coach they have to because of early recruiting signing I would think
Could but he would wait till after this weekend and work 2 jobs after that

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
I am saddened over CPJ's departure, but I was glad it was on his terms...

I am strongly in favor of Monken - I would hate to be yet another RPO clone...

I saw an earlier post regarding Friedgen's offense and how it incorporated a range of styles, including our current form of of option (A/B backs)... That would be nice - or at least anything with the QB under center most of the time...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Good morning Animal...!
The alternate reality concern is valid, but please allow me to provide some context.

I don't fear disappointment, I crave achievement. It may appear unattainable, but our path to success is very real.

Winning isn't easy even with the greatest energy and optimism, it is near impossible if one is fearful of disappointment.

My original post reflects my most genuine beliefs in our potential... There is no doubt whatsoever that the opportunity exists right now... Hope for all of us that we step out and take what we want.
I think what bothered the Animal was what bothered me. This part:

"1) Hire a coach and staff that wake up everyday with an insatiable appetite to recruit. Vicious competitors that love the recruiting game, love to win recruiting battles, live for the "yes I'm committed" moment in a young man's living room. Relishing that feeling because they know they have just set a young person on a unique path of life enhancing advancement."

Oh, doctors, come and bleed him! I can't believe that this mindset is still around here after B*** L****. That's why we hired him, you know. Because some of our boosters wanted a "young coach with energy" and thought he was a great recruiter because he said he was dedicated to it. Recruiting is a lot of things, but a simple minded enthusiasm is not enough to lead to success. More resources into recruiting is.

"2) Support Stansbury by encouraging GT administration to be flexible and progressive in meeting the diverse desires/needs of student athletes."

Or, to put it another way, get some majors where we can hide football players, a la Stanford or Clemson. I don't know why people persist in this fantasy. First, there is no support for this in Tech's faculty and administration. Second, the BoR would never go along with it. And the reason in both cases has to do with state policy, not football. Georgia has spent a bundle making Tech a premier technical institute and it has paid off in economic development. There is no way that progress is going to be jeopardized; it will not happen. Period. Stansbury can plead until he's blue in the face and won't get more then a few more conditional admits after whoever we hire proves he can get players graduated. As I keep saying, learn to live with it.

"3) Fandom- Support the awakening of the "sleeping giant" through engagement in whatever manner you find appropriate for your individual desires and resources. The persuasive message board fan is just as important and effective as the well heeled financial contributor in their own right."

Well, no, they aren't. But trying to ramp up enthusiasm through hype is counter-productive. (It's surprising, btw, how many people here seem to think you can buzz your way to success.) I hope Stansbury has enough gumption to hire someone who can deliver on the field and can do it within our recruiting parameters. That'll probably mean ignoring what the fans want and being willing to take a sober look at our best options.

I don't want to sound negative here. I agree that Tech has many tangible and intangible assets that could be brought to bear to help us achieve success. But it will take a coach with real offensive chops who is willing to live with Tech's academic restrictions to pull it off. That, so near as I can see, is Monken. If we can convince him to leave Army. A pretty big if.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
K so bear with me here.

I think our Offensive Coordinator hire is more important than our head coach hire. A guy like Elliot would be a good hire if he can recruit and work with the offense, but I'd like to see us hire a more up and coming OC.

Honestly I'd like to see us target a spread/rpo guy, its different enough and i think people are going to find out that its really not that different. if we went to a 4 wide spread RPO system heres our starters.

LT: Connor Hanson
LG: Parker Braun
C: Jahaziel Lee
RG:Kenny Cooper
RT: Defoor

X: Malichi Carter
Y: Stephen Dolphus/Adonicas Sanders
Z: Jamal Camp/Jerry Howard
Slot: Omari Jarret/Tobias Oliver

QB: Jucas Johnson/James Graham
HB: Kirvonte Benson/Jordan Mason/Christian Malloy

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
K so bear with me here.

I think our Offensive Coordinator hire is more important than our head coach hire. A guy like Elliot would be a good hire if he can recruit and work with the offense, but I'd like to see us hire a more up and coming OC.

Honestly I'd like to see us target a spread/rpo guy, its different enough and i think people are going to find out that its really not that different. if we went to a 4 wide spread RPO system heres our starters.

LT: Connor Hanson
LG: Parker Braun
C: Jahaziel Lee
RG:Kenny Cooper
RT: Defoor

X: Malichi Carter
Y: Stephen Dolphus/Adonicas Sanders
Z: Jamal Camp/Jerry Howard
Slot: Omari Jarret/Tobias Oliver

QB: Jucas Johnson/James Graham
HB: Kirvonte Benson/Jordan Mason/Christian Malloy
Tobias Oliver could be switched to running back

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
If that's true then this will be an underwhelming hire. Means the dude had no other options to wait on.
What better job is open right now or the near future?

Auburn isn't going to open this year, Louisville is a trash fire, TxTech sucks, Colorado is looking at a different pool, UNC hired Mack Friggin' Brown, etc.

If Urban retires again, OSU is looking at a higher pool of current P5 coaches than we can.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Tobias Oliver could be switched to running back

In the system im imagining we go to the slot reciever will run the ball a good bit. Basically look at the bears offense this year. THey bring the slot in motion often oliver adds some really good inside running potential off of that. THe Z is usually a tight end but we don't really have one of those so Camp/ Howard kinda fit the mold also with howard on the field we could go split backfield easy.

The reality is Cottrell will also see the field in the HB position. and we will need to be pretty multiple. A fritzkrieg type offense works best with our personnel. But frtiz is also probably only abotu 5 years from retirement so unless we snipe up debasse from southern that's out. (i'd also rather not take him but that's my second loyalty speaking).

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
The more I thought about this and digested many ideas from you guys... I really believe Jeff Monken or Chad Lunsford are the best way to go. Each offers a continuation of success and maintains the "option" identity, but in different ways.

Monken (Army)
Monken, no doubt, is a great coach and any school would be lucky to have him. What he has accomplished at Army is nothing short of a miracle. They won 10 games last year, have 9 wins this year, nearly beat OU in Norman, and play more sound football than maybe anyone else. Even compared to CPJ, the Army guys seem to execute better than the Georgia Tech guys. He also isn't afraid to throw the ball 20 times a guy when he has a QB capable of doing it, which he has this year. Hiring Monken would put GT on a path of continued "CPJ-style" triple option for the immediate and long-term future.

Lunsford (Georgia Southern)
Lunsford would be more of a risk because he isn't as experienced as Monken, but with Nate Woody on one side (defense) and Bob DeBesse on the other (offense), there would be plenty of experience around him. He also runs a different form of the option, run out of the shotgun with lots of different sets. He is from Georgia, recruited for Auburn, and has apparently engineered a quick turn-around in Statesboro. In his first full year, they went 9-3. They beat ranked App State, beat Arkansas State as well. Their defense only gave up 21 points per game with only 1-2 seniors in their defensive two-deep...

I think there are some other positives here, such as they operate out the shotgun and can pass more when they need to.. This will help recruit QB's... They also have a "feature back" instead of a committee, which would help recruit higher ranked running backs who wanted to be featured.. their starting RB has 177 carries, way more than anyone else. GTech QBs ran 337 this this year, but GASO ran their QB 166 times. Again, I think this is more attractive to running backs and quarterbacks.

You run the QB half as much, have a primary back, and you run out of the shotgun. I can really imagine Lucas Johnson operating the shotgun option with Kirvonte Benson as a primary back, with Dontae Smith and Nate Cottrell getting plenty of carries and pitches as well. I think it really fits in perfectly.

Georgia Southern in Lunsford's First Year
9-3 record
#1 in the nation in turnover margin
#14 in nation in interceptions
#17 in fewest penalties per game
#28 in points per game (they give up 21 ppg)

Status
Not open for further replies.