Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I don't see him as "massively successful" at Navy. I think he was moderately successful. If my math is right, he was 15-21 against P5 teams. And that's been the biggest (or at least, one of the most often cited) issues ... is that his approach to the game doesn't work well against P5. And he said his point was to prove it. Did he? It would be a fun analysis ...anyone can beat Alcorn State. Can he consistently beat P5 teams? You might be right ... need to look at the data.

That said, CPJ was a good fit at Tech for a time when we needed it. I would not put him in the same class as the giants of the game such as Bryant, Saban, Holtz, etc.

I think you have to use a different yardstick for the service academies. The players at the academies probably have a much different life than what a typical college football player experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
There are a few posters here who need to try and understand that the desire to continue running the option doesn’t mean some of us think we CAN’T win without it. It’s simply that we think it gives GT the best chance to compete at the highest level. And if you disagree, that’s fine. But there should be some acknowledgement that it has been a successful offensive system and led to many big wins, and winning games is what should be fun to watch, regardless of one’s fondness for passing.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'll be happy to be seeing more than 6 passes a game;)
Well we could pass more like East Carolina oh wait they are 3-8, ok lets pass more like Texas Tech wait they are 5-7 , Lets be like New Mexico State no they are 3-9, Lets look like Colorado State nope they are 3-9. you could just watch the NFL and see passing ( but the falcons suck ) :)

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Well we could pass more like East Carolina oh wait they are 3-8, ok lets pass more like Texas Tech wait they are 5-7 , Lets be like New Mexico State no they are 3-9, Let look like Colorado State nope they are 3-9. you could just watch the NFL is see passing ( but the falcons suck ) :)
That's a red herring bullshyte argument that GT can only win with the option offense. I believe GT will be able to win and go to bowl games with other offenses.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
There are a few posters here who need to try and understand that the desire to continue running the option doesn’t mean some of us think we CAN’T win without it. It’s simply that we think it gives GT the best chance to compete at the highest level. And if you disagree, that’s fine. But there should be some acknowledgement that it has been a successful offensive system and led to many big wins, and winning games is what should be fun to watch, regardless of one’s fondness for passing.

The offense was great and nobody denies this, but it also resulted in us having a terrible defense for 11 years. So people are optimistic that with a better defense, even if the offense isn't as good, we will still have plenty of opportunities for big wins and games that are fun to watch.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
The offense was great and nobody denies this, but it also resulted in us having a terrible defense for 11 years. So people are optimistic that with a better defense, even if the offense isn't as good, we will still have plenty of opportunities for big wins and games that are fun to watch.

Actually, some on here do deny it. Ad naseum. It gets exhausting.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It’s simply that we think it gives GT the best chance to compete at the highest level

I think this is true. While there are good arguments that we need "national" recruiting, guess what ... many other programs ARE recruiting nationally. So once we match that, we are right back to parity and have to find an edge. Even Bark Madley asked, "What makes Tech think that doing the same thing as Clemson, only worse ... will help?"

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually, some on here do deny it. Ad naseum. It gets exhausting.

You may be right, and if so they probably don't truly believe what they are saying. You know how the internet is.

On the other side of the coin, it also gets exhausting having numerous people keep repeating that we have to keep the TO or that we MUST get Monken or Bohannan. No thanks, there are other offenses that can be successful. We see how it worked here with the "master" of the offense, not sure why anyone thinks they would come in here and significantly improve what we have already been doing.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Have you seen the defenses put on the field from Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Texas Tech?

Animal02

Banned
Thinking the offense is responsible for the poor D is just silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.