Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Well in the years prior to Paul at Navy. When the were ~115. Who did they play? If he beat the teams they historically lost to. That is massively successful.

Averaging out at GT I'd say moderately successful as a whole is fair, but he did have massively successful (and un) seasons.

I think we are saying the same thing. At FCS, he was VERY successful. At P5 ... he was moderately successful. Fair?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
His inexperience scares me a little but i actually think his youth and energy could give us a Dabo-esque boost as long as he hires good assistants. I hope this doesn’t come across wrong but i think having a young dynamic African-American as our head coach here in Atlanta would help recruiting tremendously.

Scares me some, but not to much. I’m glad we not just looking at tired retreads. It depends on who will his assistance be as well. Him being AA doesn’t hurt any at all. Him being at a program that already recruits the area. That the players and coaches know. That is familiar with the landscape. That’s pulled highly recruited kids from the area already. Whose system blends well with the current one while being attractive to other recruits means more.

If you take Clemson's short game, running and passing, and see how Elliott manages it in a game, it is not a stretch to think he could take the present roster and compete for a couple of years while recruiting.

Yep. The trenches will need work and of course no TE, but everything else blends well with the current roster.
He would bring a lot of excitement not just with fans but within the city & metro. If he wins, he’d own Atlanta.

Animal02

Banned
Very excited to see what we do with this hire... Though it's sometimes difficult to see from "inside the house", GT genuinely has the potential to be a legitimate national player in football.

Any organization that becomes world class has challenges that must be overcome before realizing full potential, but we have several attributes already in place that cannot be purchased at any price:

1) We own real estate in the most desirable football neighborhood in the country
2) We compete in one of the top 3 conferences in the country
3) We possess one of the most credible academic reputations in the country
4) We have demonstrable history of having won 4 National Championships while competing in multiple leagues over a 100 year time period.

These advantages cannot be simply "purchased".... they are earned advantages that can't be replicated by an ambitious upstart organization. Others could build the foundation today for a future state that looks like ours, but they would have to earn it over many decades.

For us, the opportunity exists right now....today.

Transitioning from aspiration to action:

1) Hire a coach and staff that wake up everyday with an insatiable appetite to recruit. Vicious competitors that love the recruiting game, love to win recruiting battles, live for the "yes I'm committed" moment in a young man's living room. Relishing that feeling because they know they have just set a young person on a unique path of life enhancing advancement.
2) Support Stansbury by encouraging GT administration to be flexible and progressive in meeting the diverse desires/needs of student athletes.
3) Fandom- Support the awakening of the "sleeping giant" through engagement in whatever manner you find appropriate for your individual desires and resources. The persuasive message board fan is just as important and effective as the well heeled financial contributor in their own right.
Bring energy!

Other programs are watching us with an attentive eye right now... they don't "fear" us right now, but many are fully aware of the potential threat Georgia Tech presents, and are silently hoping we don't choose to act upon our readily available opportunity.
Reading a post like this.....and the first thing that comes to mind is what alternate reality are you living in? You are setting yourself up for a great disappointment.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we are saying the same thing. At FCS, he was VERY successful. At P5 ... he was moderately successful. Fair?

Just about. From my understanding Navy was D1/FBS when he was there. Therefore I see it that he has had massive success at the FBS level and moderate success at P5. But that's splitting hairs.

I'll always wonder how he would have done at a school like auburn wwith all of the resources in the world.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I watched with horror, the show that Tennessee put on in their search for a head coach. OMG. And the one before that, Butch Jones, was their seventh choice.

I don't think we will get a major head coach any more than TN did. What they got was a solid football coach who knew SEC football. I am expecting something similar. Please Lord, no Gerry Faust!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Serious question. I see him as a terrible fit. No HC experience, never worked at a tough school, runs a very conventional system.

In what ways do you see him as a perfect fit? Interested in the opposite take.

I agree. I am not going to say terrible fit but no way is this a perfect fit. Clemson was clemson before elliot. Chad morris started it with dabo. Imo what is elliots true track record?

Now. Could he be a great hire. Absolutely. And I like the system they run. But my point is he has a huge risk side too.

I will say. I like him WAY more than wisenhunt.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'll always wonder how he would have done at a school like auburn wwith all of the resources in the world.

Probably well. But ... the expecations are so high! And I look at the folks like Jimmy Johnson criticizing Mark Richt for calling plays. I think Pat Dye and all of the major boosters would be watching him drink coffee if they could and complaining about how much cream he takes.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Look for our fund raising to be done and looking in 5 to 6 mill range for new coach.... TStans took the money ... over trying to get the program back on track with the new initiatives he had started and he plainly stated CPJ had been behind the eight ball with other AD...timing is everything but think we are 3 years to early CPJ had us trending up and with more money ...the big dogs who didn’t like an offense paid to get what they wanted ...I know one of them and he is a **** ...never pissed between a pair of cleats ... not much respect for TStan....he is now a bought man ... not a place I would want to be in ...
Mack supposedly has a 3M package at UNC for 5 years. Not the going rate these days.
Well in the years prior to Paul at Navy. When the were ~115. Who did they play? If he beat the teams they historically lost to. That is massively successful.

Averaging out at GT I'd say moderately successful as a whole is fair, but he did have massively successful (and un) seasons.
He had a couple of wins against Notre Dame when ND was down. Those were the big ones plus he beat Army every year.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I am not going to say terrible fit but no way is this a perfect fit. Clemson was clemson before elliot. Chad morris started it with dabo. Imo what is elliots true track record?

Now. Could he be a great hire. Absolutely. And I like the system they run. But my point is he has a huge risk side too.

After reading from Clemson fans he elevated Morris’s offense and made it more balanced & is a better play caller.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We need a younger coach that is a dynamic and energetic recruiter. We need to be at least in the 20-30 rankings in recruiting every year and not at the bottom of the ACC. We need to let our linemen get bigger so we can pass block and get some of them to the NFL. PJ did remarkably well with his recruits and he graduated his players.

Animal02

Banned
We need a younger coach that is a dynamic and energetic recruiter. We need to be at least in the 20-30 rankings in recruiting every year and not at the bottom of the ACC. We need to let our linemen get bigger so we can pass block and get some of them to the NFL. PJ did remarkably well with his recruits and he graduated his players.
A younger coach will see the job as a stepping stone. And the mentality of recruiting/schemeing for the 2% is suicide.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Wisenhunt is the football version of Mark Price. All these alums go ga-ga over the name but won't acknowledge that it'd be a bad hire since he's a "tech man". It's maddening.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
You could not be more wrong. $$$$ are the entire issue. Tech has to recruit nationally to find those players that can hack it academically and understand that the NFL dream is mostly a dream. That is the one major mistake CPJ made when arriving at Tech. Thinking he could just recruit locally.
Not what I'm saying. You're absolutely right. $$$$ are needed to compete. The option offense was an attempt to win with a gimmick that required less talent and less money. If TStan is ready to move on with trying to get the $$$$, it's time to ditch what was being used to compensate for disadvantages. $$$$ will not solve the option's problems with recruiting.

And the 'y'all are gonna be dogsh** bad stuff' is sour grapes obnoxious. Sounds like an SEC mutt talking. Go root for your mutts, buddy, then. Too many people are listening to that. We couldn't be any worse situation than Wake, and we only won 2 more games. Syracuse, BC? They did as good or better. Could be a lot worse. People with money know you have to take risks to profit.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I mean he had Taj Boyd & Sammy Watkins.

small sample. The talent at RB, the lines, QB all got better over time...Taj was not a NFL guy...then steps in guys like watson etc...now sunshine...the OL is FAR better....dude has a much more loaded gun now.

and he helped that along....but still...he won't replicate that at tech. 70% of the kids they go after we can't

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
If a new coach can teach our OL to pass block this spring, think of the problems opposing defenses could face - the same offense could break the huddle and line up in CPJ’s alignment and run the TO, because they know that already, or line up in the new coach’s pro set or whatever. Defenses wouldn’t have time to change personnel or get set up with different defensive calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.