Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting. I don't usually share what's behind a paywall, but both premium boards are reporting CPJ chose to step down and was not forced out.
I understand that is how it’s painted.... CPJ stated he was not retiring just going to take a break and spend some time family he did not say he was never going to coach again he loves Tech why take a break when the curve should be heading up

Milwaukee

Banned
All of you dumb***es are about to find out the harsh reality of “Money talks, bull**** walks.” Ain’t no coach worth his salt gonna come here and be told he only has the budget for a whopping 3-4 recruiters. They’re gonna want an assistant coach whose only job IS recruiting. And that includes young and up and coming coaches that are “hot” right now. Not only that, you also now have to pay for an OC AND a head coach. And don’t even get me started on the reality of academic restrictions at The Institute, that goes without saying. I can’t think of anyone based off lack of resources/interest and academics that would even think about sniffing this job.

And personally, these coaches all know about each other and most, if not all, respect Paul Johnson for his coaching abilities and for his achievements. They know he’s a HOF-caliber coach and that if GT wasn’t willing to do what it takes for even him to be successful here, why in the hell would they waste their time coming here.

Y’all are about to enter of period of next-level dog sh** type of bad and I can’t think of a more deserving fan base than GT’s. The overwhelming majority of you all as alumni and “fans” are either super dumb and/or super arrogant to think that you can just make chicken soup out of chicken sh** just cause you’re engineers. You guys are gonna be looking real cool with your modern offense when you’re 2-10 or worse. You might not have a winning record for the next 5-10 seasons but hey, “we’re passing more!”

This is a sad, sad day for GT. For those of you looking for the answer about whether or not GT is committed to being competitive in today’s CFB, you got your answer. They had a gift in Johnson and you just let him walk right out the door... and I’m right behind him.

Good luck in the future. I have a feeling you guys are gonna need all the luck you can get. Goodbye.

giphy (2).gif

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
What worries me, is it usually takes a coach several years to get the ball rolling.
Curry, Ross, O’Leary, just to name a few.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Probably why you aren't getting it. Appreciate everything CPJ did, and don't want it to be sour grapes, but I get the feeling he's a sour grapes kinda guy.

CPJ reminds me of Walter White from Breaking Bad. Brilliant. Probably a better coach than most coaching today. But, he ends up coaching at programs that don't have the talent to execute the system he wants to execute and that leads to frustration.

I heard last night that Tech actually wanted to get rid of him in 2014 because they had had enough ... and the 2014 miracle year saved him. And he spent the last few years just grumbling and going through the motions. Who knows ...

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ reminds me of Walter White from Breaking Bad. Brilliant. Probably a better coach than most coaching today. But, he ends up coaching at programs that don't have the talent to execute the system he wants to execute and that leads to frustration.

I heard last night that Tech actually wanted to get rid of him in 2014 because they had had enough ... and the 2014 miracle year saved him. And he spent the last few years just grumbling and going through the motions. Who knows ...

The only place PJ wasn't massively successful was GT, so not sure what you mean.

I refuse to believe that PJ was ever just going through the motions. I could actually see that gt pushed him out in some way, i.e. that boosters were in Tod's ear and there were some comments made about needing to tweak the offense and him saying to heck with it.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

Paul reminds me of Coach "Straight Arrow" Ed Gennaro from the movie Necessary Roughness:)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The only place PJ wasn't massively successful was GT, so not sure what you mean.

I refuse to believe that PJ was ever just going through the motions. I could actually see that gt pushed him out in some way, i.e. that boosters were in Tod's ear and there were some comments made about needing to tweak the offense and him saying to heck with it.

No will really will know, so it's all conjecture.

I like CPJ and think he was a good fit for Tech. But "massively" successful? I don't think so. Ross Perot famously said "you can't go from the corner drugstore to running Wal-mart". And I think there's a little bit of that. Coaching at GSU and Navy isn't good preparation for P5 ... IMO.

Tech didn't push CPJ out. He had always (I rarely use adjectives like this, but if you read enough of his interviews, he says it a lot) ... maintained that his goal was to "prove"the flexbone would work at D1. And it did and it didn't. I think that's what frustrated him ... "I'm a good coach and I know it. And any other place, I'd win a Nattie." I don't think he would have survived at say, Auburn. The boosters would have eaten him alive.

No facts. Just my opinion.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
No will really will know, so it's all conjecture.

I like CPJ and think he was a good fit for Tech. But "massively" successful? I don't think so. Ross Perot famously said "you can't go from the corner drugstore to running Wal-mart". And I think there's a little bit of that. Coaching at GSU and Navy isn't good preparation for P5 ... IMO.

Tech didn't push CPJ out. He had always (I rarely use adjectives like this, but if you read enough of his interviews, he says it a lot) ... maintained that his goal was to "prove"the flexbone would work at D1. And it did and it didn't. I think that's what frustrated him ... "I'm a good coach and I know it. And any other place, I'd win a Nattie." I don't think he would have survived at say, Auburn. The boosters would have eaten him alive.

No facts. Just my opinion.

I said he was massively successful everywhere but GT, I.e. at GSU and Navy.

My real point was that he doesn't seem the type to just go through the motions.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
How has no one said Urban Meyer?!?! No seriously. He sent his daughter here and definitely wants out of Columbus. if he wanted a true challenge he would come to Atlanta!
I know the guy is named for a pope, but if he wants out of OSU it is the same reason he wanted out of Florida: that faint white hat is seen through the gloaming, leading the posse ever closer while he asks, "Who are those guys?"

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If he doesn’t pass, then maybe he should be our man. The more I think about our offense going from an aggressive type running scheme to a bear hugging dancing around in the pocket throwing the ball like a bunch of girls, the more I’m convinced we need to man up and run the ball even more.
I don't want to say Monken hates seeing the ball in the air, but he runs it back to his punter...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I said he was massively successful everywhere but GT, I.e. at GSU and Navy.

I don't see him as "massively successful" at Navy. I think he was moderately successful. If my math is right, he was 15-21 against P5 teams. And that's been the biggest (or at least, one of the most often cited) issues ... is that his approach to the game doesn't work well against P5. And he said his point was to prove it. Did he? It would be a fun analysis ...anyone can beat Alcorn State. Can he consistently beat P5 teams? You might be right ... need to look at the data.

That said, CPJ was a good fit at Tech for a time when we needed it. I would not put him in the same class as the giants of the game such as Bryant, Saban, Holtz, etc.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

He had as good individual seasons at Tech as he had at Navy. You can't scream about Navy's limitations to point to your success, and then complain about Tech's to make excuses for lack of.

Everybody has to be willing to evolve in their career, especially at the highest level of competition. You could see what we were up against in 2013 when we installed some pistol against Duke, and ran all over them with it. Then Paul complained after the game how we weren't running the base offense right. The pistol went into mothballs after that. It was bizarre to watch.

Then 2014 happened because we had a 4 star athlete at QB, an NFL pulling guard, 6 seniors in the backfield, and 2 NFL picks at WR. All of those players we lucked into on the recruiting resources we have. There's no sense in acting like more money is going to make that happen on a yearly basis. 4 years later, I think it's safe to say 2014 is not the norm.

It was fun, but if what boots is saying is true about coaches knowing how good he is, I'm sure ADs know too. So where's the factory waiting to take that shot at hiring the most brilliant triple option coach on Earth? I mean, all it takes is the money and resources they have, right?

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Seeing Clemson co oc Tony Elliot mentioned as a frontrunner.

No HC experience at any level. "Great recruiter" at a school with every resource that recruits itself. "Co" runs a good offense with GREAT talent and a historic defense...

Would test all of CPJs theories for sure. Do schools largely recruit themselves? Or can a recruiter really move the needle. Can we out-Clemson Clemson?

Imho would be a disaster. Unless he's cheap and we're bringing him in for his youth and energy. And hiring experienced coordinators to run things.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Nobody wants gt to win more than myself. As long as they win in a way that I find entertaining.

fixed that for ya
Dabo just did a terrifically entertaining riff on such attitudes when somebody purportedly said beating SC by 21 points "feels like a loss". His conclusion: that fan needs to find another team because one point is a win, and a win is what I'm after.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Do we have any shot at Venables? I never really see him mentioned in other schools coaching searches.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Seeing Clemson co oc Tony Elliot mentioned as a frontrunner.

No HC experience at any level. "Great recruiter" at a school with every resource that recruits itself. "Co" runs a good offense with GREAT talent and a historic defense...

Would test all of CPJs theories for sure. Do schools largely recruit themselves? Or can a recruiter really move the needle. Can we out-Clemson Clemson?

Imho would be a disaster. Unless he's cheap and we're bringing him in for his youth and energy. And hiring experienced coordinators to run things.
The job is his for the taking. I could argue all the rest of it but basically, just not a retread. Right about now the Tech inbox is full of resumes forwarded by every agent in the country with a coach job hunting. No surprise to find they are all above average.

Status
Not open for further replies.