Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A younger coach will see the job as a stepping stone. And the mentality of recruiting/schemeing for the 2% is suicide.
Seems most coaching jobs are about 5 years these days. With the salaries these guys get now, it doesn't take long to get pulled. Smaller programs are used as a stepping stone. We were fortunate that PJ stuck with us for 11 years. Only the top 10 programs keep the coaches for multiple years like Clemson Alabama Ohio State. Let them go 2 years with a mediocre record and they would be gone too.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Can y'all make a thread for each of the candidates and list all the pros/cons?

I would do it but I'm just an 'idea' guy. Leave the implementation to all you engineers.

Also, can I just say, this is gonna be a loooong process. I predict, by day 3, it'll be full-on Lord of the Flies on the board.

Better ice up, mods.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Seems most coaching jobs are about 5 years these days. With the salaries these guys get now, it doesn't take long to get pulled. Smaller programs are used as a stepping stone. We were fortunate that PJ stuck with us for 11 years. Only the top 10 programs keep the coaches for multiple years like Clemson Alabama Ohio State. Let them go 2 years with a mediocre record and they would be gone too.

People said the same about Purdue with Brohm.

Scared money don't make no money. Can't have that defeatist mindset. If we want to keep a guy, we can afford do if we choose.

This job needs a jolt of energy. I won't say that has to be a young guy since I don't want to be accused of being ageist.

If that happens to be a young guy, so be it. Whatever hire we make will be a sought after commodity if we make the right hire. Goes with the territory.

Reactions: GPD

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea who I would want. I keep hearing the following names Ken Wisenhurt ( I really hope not he is 56 and not coached in college for years), Scott Satterfield ( Hearing Louisville is going to interview not sure where they get their money but they will pay more than us) , Tony Elliott ( don't know much about him young 39 hear he can recruit but it's easier to recruit for Clemson than Tech fact ) , Brent Key ( last time he was an OC UFC was 0-12 and had 8 games they scored 14 or less) , and Jeff Monken ( I guess he is a good coach but if you want to see a little more passing he is not the one Army has only passed 81 times this year that is 20 less than Tech.) I few have said Lane Kriffin ( very bad fit for Tech and don't see Stansbury talking to him ) .

So who does this leave , I have no idea. But I hope that Stansbury will keep it to himself and I hope the media will not start making call to coaches. The worse thing is to see the media say so and so is not interested in the job at Tech acting like we have been turn down when it was not someone wanted to interview. Mr. Stansbury this is your chance to make a name for yourself, make the right choice and lets not do this again in 3 years. I would love to have a coach before signing day but that ain't going to happen so take your time and get it right please.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Reading a post like this.....and the first thing that comes to mind is what alternate reality are you living in? You are setting yourself up for a great disappointment.
Good morning Animal...!
The alternate reality concern is valid, but please allow me to provide some context.

I don't fear disappointment, I crave achievement. It may appear unattainable, but our path to success is very real.

Winning isn't easy even with the greatest energy and optimism, it is near impossible if one is fearful of disappointment.

My original post reflects my most genuine beliefs in our potential... There is no doubt whatsoever that the opportunity exists right now... Hope for all of us that we step out and take what we want.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Wisenhunt is the football version of Mark Price. All these alums go ga-ga over the name but won't acknowledge that it'd be a bad hire since he's a "tech man". It's maddening.
I would not like a Whisenhunt hire, he would fail

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I believe a Jeff Monken hire would result in sustained success using the current model. I saw with my own eyes how he came into a GSU program in shambles, with a roster not fit to run his scheme, and had instant sustained success. I also saw him experiment with some variations to the under center spread. It's in his playbook. He has, in short work, leapfrogged the significant abilities of Ken N. to make Army the service academy power (and, in case you haven't noticed, the Cadets are ranked with a chance for 10 wins. That's incredible). He is also the only potential candidate who would instantly understand and be prepared for the challenges of recruiting and coaching at GT.

I fear that influential voices who want a stark departure from all things Paul Johnson will not allow this hire. But I do not have knowledge of how the real athletic decisions are made at GT.

If we don't hire Monken, I guess the best thing would be an offensive-minded spread guy with option elements to suit our current roster. I know there are sexy names out there for many of you... I just hope they would be able to deal with the inherent GT challenges with steadiness and integrity.

Animal02

Banned
I believe a Jeff Monken hire would result in sustained success using the current model. I saw with my own eyes how he came into a GSU program in shambles, with a roster not fit to run his scheme, and had instant sustained success. I also saw him experiment with some variations to the under center spread. It's in his playbook. He has, in short work, leapfrogged the significant abilities of Ken N. to make Army the service academy power (and, in case you haven't noticed, the Cadets are ranked with a chance for 10 wins. That's incredible). He is also the only potential candidate who would instantly understand and be prepared for the challenges of recruiting and coaching at GT.

I fear that influential voices who want a stark departure from all things Paul Johnson will not allow this hire. But I do not have knowledge of how the real athletic decisions are made at GT.

If we don't hire Monken, I guess the best thing would be an offensive-minded spread guy with option elements to suit our current roster. I know there are sexy names out there for many of you... I just hope they would be able to deal with the inherent GT challenges with steadiness and integrity.
Monken would be an excellent choice. If he is not even interviewed, it means the short sighted boosters have too much say.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There isn't a school in the country that recruits itself, certainly in the numbers required to field a team. If Clemson did it could junk the recruiting budget.

You are correct. I should clarify. When I said "school" I meant program; money, facilities, support staff, brand, fans, conference, location, academics... These things set what league you're "shopping" in. How well you do in your "league" is moreso determined by individual recruiting prowess by the coaches.

The best recruiters can't consistently land players 'out of their league'. Saban wouldn't have been bringing 4-5*s to Toledo.

Tech is a 50th level program by the factors. Our recruiting will generally be +/- that level regardless of coach. Unless those factors change. A great recruiter might get us to 30th level recruiting with our resources. But if we're running Clemson's system with 30th level talent, we'd be delusional to think we could beat them and their top 5 talent.

Techsportsfan

Georgia Tech Fan
I like Monken, and believe he is a great coach, but honestly think he is too similar to Johnson. If we wanted to continue the exact same system, I'd try my best to get Johnson to stay. I think Willie Fritz would be a good fit for us. He runs the option as well, but runs some out of the gun and passes a lot more than Monken or Johnson. His record at Tulane isn't all that great, but they've steadily improved. They even made a bowl this year. He was 17-7 at Georgia Southern, 40-15 at Sam Houston State, and 97-47 at Central Missouri. I think he is a close enough fit to work with the players we have now, but will also be different enough to make some of the option haters happy.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I like Monken, and believe he is a great coach, but honestly think he is too similar to Johnson. If we wanted to continue the exact same system, I'd try my best to get Johnson to stay. I think Willie Fritz would be a good fit for us. He runs the option as well, but runs some out of the gun and passes a lot more than Monken or Johnson. His record at Tulane isn't all that great, but they've steadily improved. They even made a bowl this year. He was 17-7 at Georgia Southern, 40-15 at Sam Houston State, and 97-47 at Central Missouri. I think he is a close enough fit to work with the players we have now, but will also be different enough to make some of the option haters happy.
Monken is a Paul Johnson clone

Animal02

Banned
Army....everyone's former doormat is frikkin ranked

Status
Not open for further replies.