Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I can never understand why people are already against certain coaches. Ken is a GT guy and looks to run a good pro style offense. Why would he be a bad hire, b/c of Gailey? I'm not saying that is the way to go just don't know why people are so sure that would be a mistake. Its a crap shoot, especially at Tech. Just look at Michigan, Tenn, or Miami.
Here is my concern with not only Wisenhunt, but any coach with predominantly NFL experience, they are going to look to run an NFL style offense. To do that with our current personnel, we will immediately have to move our guards to tackle and our tackles to guard. Then all of them would need to add about 30 pounds. After that, they will need to re-acquaint themselves with the current pass protection techniques. We do have a couple of quarterbacks who will work in a pro-style offense, but none of our receivers will be a good fit. Finally, our running backs will be no better than average in that kind of blocking scheme.
We would better off going to a Malzahn based spread which utilizes more zone blocking techniques, so that the offensive transition would not be as brutal.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Rivers is practically his own offensive coordinator every game FWIW. Maybe Whisenhunt helped him get to that point, maybe he didn’t but Rivers is on an elite level of reading defenses and presnap checks.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Ummmmm OK.
Does he know how to recruit? Does he know how to handle 18-22 year olds? Has he coached players who are not professionals?

I am not saying he is a bad choice. I am saying that what he has done in the NFL does not answer any of those points.

Al Groh was an amazing NFL coach. He was not able to teach college players how to run his scheme though.

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Scott Satterfield
Brent Venables
Mel Tucker
Josh Heupel
Charlie Strong
Tosh Lupoi

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Does he know how to recruit? Does he know how to handle 18-22 year olds? Has he coached players who are not professionals?

I am not saying he is a bad choice. I am saying that what he has done in the NFL does not answer any of those points.

Al Groh was an amazing NFL coach. He was not able to teach college players how to run his scheme though.

Groh coached both Wake & UVA.
NFL experience is just that experience. I don’t know how well he’d be in college but to say it’s an awful hire is weird to me. He’s had/having success.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
No thanks. Guy can't develop players. I live in Alabama, Auburn fans hate him. He's a train wreck that lucked out with some incredible Transfer athletes that would never get into Tech. God I hope Stansbury pays more attention to the rest of college football than some of us.
Also live in Alabama and all of the Auburn fans are ready for him to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.