Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Groh coached both Wake & UVA.
NFL experience is just that experience. I don’t know how well he’d be in college but to say it’s an awful hire is weird to me. He’s had/having success.
Ask @ilovetheoption , he told us Al Groh was a bad choice. There is a reason he went from HC to DC, he couldn't handle the college game.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What? Lol. How many coaches have won without a HOF QB?

Just off the top of my head? The Eagles last year..... My point is his record is straight **** without Kurt Warner. We aren't getting the next Kurt Warner anytime soon

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Malzahn gets a bad rap. They just beat bama last year and won probably the best division in cfb. Also took a former uga WR, made him into a QB, then took them to the national title game
I have my doubts about him succeeding at Tech with the academic restrictions, and don’t see how he wouldn’t be a top target if he and auburn parted ways. Every P5 program probably has him near the top of their list.
But if he’s there and amicable, I don’t see how he isn’t a top target

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Venables definitely won't happen. He's already been courted a lot to be a HC and he'd have to take a pay cut to come here.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Good Lord. I didn't say he shouldn't give a crap about knowing how to coach. Just said they should be someone who can actually promote the program (like our basketball coach).

Just messing with you ... Butch makes $30K a year. Probably would jump at the chance to coach at Tech.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
My top candidates would be, in no particular order:
- Willy Fritz
- Jeff Monken
- Neal Brown
- Josh Huepel
- Luke Fickell
- Lane Kiffin

Others that might do a good job:
- Scott Satterfield
- Jason Candle
- Kendal Briles
- Bohannon

*ASOLUTELY ******* NOT*
- Any past GT guy (Godsey, Wisenhunt, etc...)
- Gus Malzhan
- Any other old guy that runs a boring offense that GT would typically hire in the sense of Brian Gregory in basketball

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This is all starting to sound like a big political “GT MAN HOORAH!” bull**** campaign to get donors to throw money away for a few years while we fade into Wake Forest level success on the field. My impression on TStan may go completely down the drain.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Venables definitely won't happen. He's already been courted a lot to be a HC and he'd have to take a pay cut to come here.
He just turned down TxTech because his son just started at Clemson. He's not going anywhere.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
My top candidates would be, in no particular order:
- Willy Fritz
- Jeff Monken
- Neal Brown
- Josh Huepel
- Luke Fickell
- Lane Kiffin

Others that might do a good job:
- Scott Satterfield
- Jason Candle
- Kendal Briles
- Bohannon

*ASOLUTELY ******* NOT*
- Any past GT guy (Godsey, Wisenhunt, etc...)
- Gus Malzhan
- Any other old guy that runs a boring offense that GT would typically hire in the sense of Brian Gregory in basketball
Kendall Briles is SUPERFUND level toxic. No way, no how. I'd never give another dime to GT if they hired him.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure who exactly we should hire. But I do know it should be someone who is young, energetic and ready to promote the brand and make us "cool" again.

I also think it should be someone who really has a fire in their belly to go hit the recruiting trail hard, something that CPJ was never a big fan of.
Uh, you do realize that this was the reasoning when we hired B*** L****? We need someone who knows what to do with what we've got. That'd be Bohannon.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Gus for cheap wouldn't be too bad for a few years. I personally don't think the HUNH spreads can work in the Southeast unless you have insane recruiting like Clemson, but he has shown his floor is still pretty good. If he can't get over 7-8 wins the next guy will at least have the shiny new buildings and maybe we'll have some ACC network money to throw at them.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
I think there are several key points that Stanberry must consider in evaluating a new HC:

1. If it's a different offensive system, how well does our current talent fit that system and, if it's not a good fit, how long to rebuild the roster through recruiting? If the offense needs a complete over haul, that likely means we have some awful seasons in the short term. How would that affect the new HC's recruiting mojo at a place with recruiting obstacles like Tech?

2. To piggy-back off #1: You also have to keep in mind the way we block on the o line is pretty unique. Will the online need a complete overhaul in roster and function? That's a pretty damn scary possibility.

3. QB: If we bring in a guy like Leach, what does THAT look like w our current roster? We would probably be starting a true freshman next year, one that we're not even currently recruiting. Maybe we could snag a quality QB with the pitch of starting right away and for 4 years under a guy like Leach? Probably not as tough a sell as it initially seems.

4. This is the age old question at GT when hiring a HC: Do we go for the up and comer knowing he will likely jump ship for bigger and better after first big success, or do we go for the proven retread that's had up and downs, who may stay more than 5 years?

5. Big one here: Do we stay in the PJ system or go elsewhere? All the above questions come into play here as well. Is there any HC out there from PJ's tree that can do better here than PJ did? I'm not so sure. Or, do we find a guy that runs some spread and some option but incorporates more passing? Is there a guy out there that can do this that we can get?

Personally, I need more info on realistic candidates and how our current roster compliments what that coach wants to do offensively. We cannot afford 2 and 3 win seasons while we rebuild. Given the current climate of recruiting obstacles GT faces, I'm not sure we could overcome a setback like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.