Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Elliott may be a good fit because he's young and hungry and can relate to engineering academic issues.

I'd ask any potential hire "how can you get us to compete with Clemson and UGA?" That answer really can't be "I'm a great recruiter so I can get guys like UGA and Bama or UCF did." I bet half of the guys recruited to UGA, Bama and UCF could not get into Tech, so even if they were convinced to want to come, they aren't qualifying and can't come. So, I would want the coach to tell me how we can compete and maybe its the innovative offense (TO or air-raid, or whatever), innovative defense, or something else, but it would have to be something and a track record to show success doing it. CPJ had all of that. So, a young, good recruiting Paul Johnson is what we need (without the *****ly personality). Maybe that is Satterfield or Jeff monken, or some innovative coach from Citadel or some small school that I don't know about. But the new coach has to have an answer to the question and it can't be "I got 5 star kids to come to where I worked at last stop." To me that requirement buts the brakes on the Brent Keys, Mel Tuckers, etc.

Am interested candidate might ask, “How can we get UGA and Clemson off our annual slate of games?”

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Elliot is my top guy.
He fits the culture and his system would be easily transferable. He knows the area and is familiar with GT’s recruiting and recruiting restrictions. He also is aware of the advantages.

The more I learn about him, the more I like him. Its risky, given the lack of experience, but it could payoff.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Really feel Satterfield would be our best option. Hope TStan can get out in front of this. He should be interviewing Satterfield this weekend and not Wisenhunt. Afraid Louisville will hire him quickly. Hope he does not screw this hire up.
I think Satterfield and Elliot are about the same. Here’s the pros and cons I see.

Satterfield
pros: done really well against better completion, is a head coach, and would probably retain CNW.
Cons: hasn’t coached at the D1 level (not to worried about) the biggest worry for me would be recruiting, from what I understand the D staff had to be told not to go after “projects” like they might have at App State because that’s what they were able to get. Worry he might would be looking at lower players because of what he’s had to work with at App State.

Elliot:
pros: egeenering degree with the highest gpa on his football team. Learned under a very good program. Young offensive mind who could bring energy and is a good recruiter from what I’ve read.

Cons: hasn’t been a head coach.

Imo the ceiling is a tad higher for Elliot as of now because he has at least coached at this level and knows how to recruit at this level. I wouldnt be upset with either one being hired though.

The other good thing is, with both of them the offensive transition wouldnt be major imo.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I saw someone post on a board (can’t rememebr which one) aand I believe it was someone close to the program or someone who knew someone close to the program, said we are in a really good position right now to hire a new coach. Not sure why that exactly means though lol.
I have a neighbor who has a cousin who is married to a guy that knows someone close to an insider I will see what he knows .

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Dabo was never even a coordinator

That was a an internal hire. Just because WE didn’t see it as a good hire doesn’t mean DRad didn’t.

And Brent Key bad mouthed GT as an institute in negative recruiting. Not the scheme (well maybe / probably that too) but the INSTITUTE. And now some want to hire this guy when his own words will be used against him?

Hell No

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
That was a an internal hire. Just because WE didn’t see it as a good hire doesn’t mean DRad didn’t.

And Brent Key bad mouthed GT as an institute in negative recruiting. Not the scheme (we’ll maybe / probably that too) but the INSTITUTE. And now some won’t to hire this guy when his own words will be used against him?

Hell No
Semantics, but DRad didn't promote Dabo, Phillips did. DRad was at Tech at the time.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Regarding Satterfield, I just don’t know if he (and his wife and family) are willing to move to Atlanta away from the mountain lifestyle they currently enjoy in Boone, North Carolina. Would the challenge of taking over the GT job along with the extra $$ pay be enough for him to make this monumental move?

Regarding Elliott, does he believe he can overcome GT’s recruiting limitations? Certainly all of the highly skilled 4- and 5-star players he coaches at Clemson makes him look like an excellent candidate, but it very likely won’t be the same for him at GT. I’m sure he realizes this, so the question for him is likely to be, do I have the cajones to take on the GT challenge?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Regarding Satterfield, I just don’t know if he (and his wife and family) are willing to move to Atlanta away from the mountain lifestyle they currently enjoy in Boone, North Carolina. Would the challenge of taking over the GT job along with the extra $$ pay be enough for him to make this monumental move?

Regarding Elliott, does he believe he can overcome GT’s recruiting limitations? Certainly all of the highly skilled 4- and 5-star players he coaches at Clemson makes him look like an excellent candidate, but it very likely won’t be the same for him at GT. I’m sure he realizes this, so the question for him is likely to be, do I have the cajones to take on the GT challenge?
Scott Satterfield may go to Loserville so i guess his family would have no problem moving away

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
In reading the threads with all the names, the one that is confusing to me is that nobody seems to like Chad Lunsford from Georgia Southern.

• He's 41, so he is a young up-and-comer...
  • He is from Georgia...
  • He has recruited the SE his entire career (for Auburn and Georgia Southern)
  • His primary skill is recruiting..
  • He went 9-3 in his first season, and has a 10 win season on the table if they win their bowl game
  • They had 12 players make All Sun Belt this year
  • His offense directly translates to Georgia Tech talent, but with all the modern touches the fans want (runs out of shotgun, multiple sets, more QB friendly, feature running back, run the QB about half as much)...

I like this. From my neck of the woods as well

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

And Brent Key bad mouthed GT as an institute in negative recruiting. Not the scheme (well maybe / probably that too) but the INSTITUTE. And now some want to hire this guy when his own words will be used against him?

Hell No
Well first there would have to be visible evidence that Key did that for it to be used against him effectively. If it’s out there then that’s not a good thing. Otherwise I doubt many schools even know about it.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Kind of surprised Derek Mason hasn’t been mentioned more. Not sure I would actually want him, but he’s done well at Vandy which is one of the hardest P5 schools to coach at.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Scott Satterfield may go to Loserville so i guess his family would have no problem moving away

Hey Mike, yes I think you are right on this. Don't know much about him and not promoting him, but I happened to be driving listening to ESPN Radio and heard him interviewed a few weeks ago.
Based on that interview in which they came right out and asked him about other future opportunities ... he said in a coach speak kind of way that yes he would be open to leaving App State for the right job.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't agree at all. I'd prefer Leach above all, and I think he's a realistic choice.
Do you know Mike Leach??? I would love to have him, but I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell he would ever come to Atlanta. According to Swing Your Sword his favorite place he has ever lived was Valdosta, GA, and not because it was a bustling city. Leach likes a slow, quiet life and I could never see him coming to us.
Populations of places he has been a head coach
Pullman-33k
Lubbock-250k

Atlanta Metro- Over 5 mil....notice I didn't include metro pop for the first 2 because there is no metro Pullman/Lubbock.

Deleted member 2897

Tony may not know all the restrictive details about Tech.

You only have one head-coaching job that was your first. Do you want to stake your future career potential by doing the opposite of what you’ve done so far? He helped build an incredible machine inside of Clemson. But he has few academic and resource restrictions. He’d be going to the opposite environment from where he has thrived. On the converse, coaches from smaller schools like Appalachian State and Troy have thrived at locations that have resource and recruiting limitations. And, they have head-coaching experience. Just my 2 cents.

Tony makes less than half of what Brent Venables makes. It could be that he is using us as a bargaining chip for a raise over there. Who knows. I do think though, the best chance for him to be successful as a head coach is to take a job that has a similar environment to where he’s at today - in other words, where he’s proven to have been successful.

This is all pure conjecture on my part, and I would be thrilled to have him as a coach and I do believe he could be wildly successful. Those are just some of the alternative thoughts that he may go through.

I honestly would be surprised if he knows that we spend only half as much on football as Clemson does, and that our support staff is a tiny fraction of the size of theirs, etc etc

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Satterfield and Elliot are about the same. Here’s the pros and cons I see.

Satterfield
pros: done really well against better completion, is a head coach, and would probably retain CNW.
Cons: hasn’t coached at the D1 level (not to worried about) the biggest worry for me would be recruiting, from what I understand the D staff had to be told not to go after “projects” like they might have at App State because that’s what they were able to get. Worry he might would be looking at lower players because of what he’s had to work with at App State.

Elliot:
pros: egeenering degree with the highest gpa on his football team. Learned under a very good program. Young offensive mind who could bring energy and is a good recruiter from what I’ve read.

Cons: hasn’t been a head coach.

Imo the ceiling is a tad higher for Elliot as of now because he has at least coached at this level and knows how to recruit at this level. I wouldnt be upset with either one being hired though.

The other good thing is, with both of them the offensive transition wouldnt be major imo.

App State has been "D1" for ages, albeit 1-AA/FCS until 2013, when it moved up to 1-A/FBS level in 2014. Satterfield has been HC there since 2013. If you meant that Satterfield hasn't been HC at a "Power 5 FBS" program, then you would've been correct.

Interesting note: Satterfield was the QB coach at App State when they won three consecutive FCS national titles, 2005-2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.