Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You can't compare anything Elliott as done to what he can achieve at Georgia Tech. He works at the #2 football powerhouse in the country since 2012 or so. I am not saying he isn't a talented coach, but to think he isn't working almost exclusively with the nations best talent you are fooling yourselves.

Give CPJ, Monken, etc the best talent in the country and they'd win 12 games a year too, and look good doing it.

That would apply to every program. How do you get better talent? You recruit. Loved PJ but I thought he was woefully deficient in his emphasis or lack thereof on recruiting effort. I want a coach who gets off the podium on Saturdays after a win and gets right to recruiting. Relentless effort in recruiting.

I think PJs biggest miscalculation was he thought his system could be effective with anyone. And that’s partially true regarding his offense, but it does not apply to defense and that was a major fail. The effort on recruiting great players was not there.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
I think one thing we can all agree on is that the next HC needs to be a current HC from a G5, or an OC/DC from a good P5. I will literally come off the rails if they hire Wiz, the college game has changed so much since CCG, and he ran the same thing that Wiz does. College is about spreading the field and making the most of your talent, THEN adapting when you get a once in a generation player. Just like Bama has with Tua.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I have been saying since early in the season that if something happened with CPJ that I would like for us to hire Key. The people that want a Tech guy get one yet we get a young talented coach and a helluva recruiter. From what I have read, heard, and seen the man can get big time talent to commit to him. He is responsible for a good bit of the talent that has taken UCF to where they are now. Now he has experience under Saban and Saban has always been high on him for his abilities especially on the recruiting side. When Alabama hired him they already had a full coaching staff and Nick Saban moved guys around to make room for him. He had already signed a contract to become the next head coach at UCF when O’Leary decided to retire and when he did and the hired Frost, Key of course took that to heart and decided to leave and UCF had to lay him like 700 and something thousand for breaking their agreement. People knock him because he has spent the majority of his career as a position coach. He had one year as an OC and no head coaching experience. Who knows if he would turn out to be as good as him but my comparison has been to Dabo. Dabo never had experience as anything but as a position coaches and had started a careeed as a real estate agent, but he killed his interview at Clemson has done what they saw in him and what he told them he would do if given the chance and look where he is now. Key would probably come to GT reasonably cheap to finally get a shot as a head coach and also get to do it at GT. He could be a CEO type coach just like Dabo and hire the right OC and DC and bring in a staff to surround them and make things work with the talent he’s able to recruit for them. For the people that want Godsey to have a roll at Tech he may would bring him in for a position. Godsey is the QB coach for the lions and I’m sure would come to GT to be back with Key and have a chance to coach there. There is several names floating around but Key is one that I for sure think deserves an interview. I do believe Elliott and Satterfield should be brouhht in as well along with a couple other guys and decide from there.
What type of offense would Key run?

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Unfortunately nobody just gives you talent.
The point is that Clemson pretty much is given talent because it recruits itself. The concern with Elliot is whether he could be a successful coach with less talent which he would have at GT (even if he is a good recruiter)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This has been debunked this year. It is a GT Admin issue, not a BOR issue. GT has not requested to add any majors in a while.
When they did ask they were denied if I’m not mistaken. Maybe they think it’s a waste of time.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Elliot would immediately open dialog with top kids that he is recruiting for Clemson. He has immediate recognition in our recruiting area. Must have been academically minded as well. Would be a good hire for several reasons if he is interested in us.
could any get into Tech ? I like Elliot but would help to know which coaches he would keep and bring in the program ( Which would be nice if any of them knew)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Tony Elliott
Geoff Collins
Scott Satterfield
Mel Tucker
Neal Brown
Seth Littrell
Luke Fickell

If Todd doesn't pick someone from this list the majority of the GT community will be disappointed. Am I right?
A name I haven’t heard mentioned but would be ok with is Josh’s Heupel. Personally I want Elliot or Satterfield.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You can't compare anything Elliott as done to what he can achieve at Georgia Tech. He works at the #2 football powerhouse in the country since 2012 or so. I am not saying he isn't a talented coach, but to think he isn't working almost exclusively with the nations best talent you are fooling yourselves.

Give CPJ, Monken, etc the best talent in the country and they'd win 12 games a year too, and look good doing it.
With CPJ we went with the "we can't recruit well so lets bring in a guy who can win with lesser recruits" approach. It admittedly had some success but I would like to see what we are capable of if we hire someone from a program that recruits well, and who spends most of his time recruiting top talent. People have claimed we can recruit much better without the TO holding us back, well, lets put that to the test with a guy who is already known to recruit well. For me, Elliott would be a compelling hire.

QuickKick

Georgia Tech Fan
That would apply to every program. How do you get better talent? You recruit. Loved PJ but I thought he was woefully deficient in his emphasis or lack thereof on recruiting effort. I want a coach who gets off the podium on Saturdays after a win and gets right to recruiting. Relentless effort in recruiting.

I think PJs biggest miscalculation was he thought his system could be effective with anyone. And that’s partially true regarding his offense, but it does not apply to defense and that was a major fail. The effort on recruiting great players was not there.
The 'take an average kid, coach 'em up, teach them the system and the system will make up the difference' approach didn't work.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
I think one thing we can all agree on is that the next HC needs to be a current HC from a G5, or an OC/DC from a good P5. I will literally come off the rails if they hire Wiz, the college game has changed so much since CCG, and he ran the same thing that Wiz does. College is about spreading the field and making the most of your talent, THEN adapting when you get a once in a generation player. Just like Bama has with Tua.
I don't agree at all. I'd prefer Leach above all, and I think he's a realistic choice.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
could any get into Tech ? I like Elliot but would help to know which coaches he would keep and bring in the program ( Which would be nice if any of them knew)
We allow exceptions, and may allow more during this period of transition. As long as the coach can make sure these guys focus on keeping eligibility, I'd imagine exceptions could become more common.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Relationships start with HS coaches and then the kids. A HS coach can absolutely buzz kill a potential school if they don't like the coach. PJ and his staff probably were very careful about a kids character in addition to FB skills. I have to give credit to that and probably had a lot to do with our ranking with recruiting services plus not a lot of off field problems.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
A name I haven’t heard mentioned but would be ok with is Josh’s Heupel. Personally I want Elliot or Satterfield.
Another name you have not heard was stech81 and if he gets the job free beer for all. Still working on my offense and will work with Woody to install a new defense the 7-8-7 would be good to blitz and keep if few back to cover passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.